Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How do I obtain a car's service history?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:00 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts
Default How do I obtain a car's service history?

After reading the horror story from the guy who bought a '99 996 (from a Ford dealer?!?!!?) and then had to watch it catch fire twice, plus a whole raft of other problems, I am wondering how I go about obtaining a service history on any car I am considering purchasing. Do I have to bring the car in? Can they do it awhen they do a PPI? What is the cost (irrelelvant, but I am curious)?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:33 AM
phaedrus242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the US, the only way you can legally obtain the service history is from the person you are buying the car from (private party). A dealer is not allowed to provide any history information on anything that the owner paid for themselves. They can show you warranty work done, but you will not be able to get records on oil changes, brake fluids flushes, etc.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Sometimes service history shows on carfax... but does anybody know if dealers have to input this? Sometimes I pull a carfax and it shows very detailed service history and on other carfaxes it doesn't show any... does that mean the car never went in for service?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:20 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would only rely upon CARFAX to show you the number of times the car changed owners. Many other things happen - repairs, accidents, etc. - that may not make it into CARFAX.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:14 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Call 1800 porsche. They can tell you all the warrantee service done on a car since it was new. They can tell you from what dealers. And you can call those dealers, or the single dealer and ask for more detailed info, if they are willing to give it out. This can result in service done off warrantee, like damage service or things the customer paid on his own.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:16 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

If you know where the vehicle was first sold, you might be able to get the service writer, or manager, to give you the cars history, if it was serviced at that dealership by the prior owner.
If you are verifying what the private party is telling you or showing you, call his service dealer up and asked them if this is the case. I have found that most dealers will give you the info, both warranty and service items.

As far as Carfax goes, as well as the rest of them, I wouldn't waste to much effort or money on their information. You might get lucky and find out that the car has a salvage title before throwing your money at it. Other items of interest might be how many owners there has been, and if the vehicle was leased.

Tom L
2002 C2
Old 06-01-2006, 10:50 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

Thanks for the advice- it's all very helpful
Old 06-02-2006, 12:44 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually 1 800 Porsche will NOT give you the warranty service information for your car.

They can look at your VIN, then put you through to the service manager at the dealership where the car was originally purchased/serviced.

That service manager can give then print and fax you the full WARRANTY service history for your car. (that's ONLY warranty work, not general service information)

It looks like this:

He can also tell you any non-warranty service history performed at that dealership.

If it's been serviced at more than one dealership, you need to contact each one for their local non-warranty service history.

You should do this on any Porsche (or any other car) before you buy it, as you can clearly see any warranty service issues and steer clear of lemons.

If the legendary Bob had done this, he'd probably never have pursched the car.. if he or the car really ever existed!

Chris.

Quick Reply: How do I obtain a car's service history?