Welcome me to the family...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:13 PM
jkb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome me to the family...

hello all.

this is my first post not only on this board, but on any porsche board what-so-ever. you see, i been a BMW guy all my life. never owned a porsche. well, except for a 1976 924 back in high school (14 years ago) - but that doesn't count, so lets pretend it never happened and just move along...

Anyways as i was saying, i was (and still am) a BMW guy. In fact, my main ride is a 2006 750i (upgraded from 2003 745Li). But i wanted to get a second car: small, convertible, sporty, fun. After lots of soul searching and going way over my original budget, 911 beat out Z4 while also leaving boxster, s2000 and 1969 datsun roadster behind. Well, '69 datsun roadster still might be in my future

Anyways. I am about to get a 2000 996 C2 Cab and i gotta tell you - i feel like a little kid on the day before christmas. The car was $112,000 new and i am getting it from original owner, the guy who seems to treat his cars the way i do (and my standards are pretty high). Miles are at 34K and price we agreed on is $46.5K. Yeah i know its a bit on the high end, but the car is loaded with all the possible options: full leather interior, PSM, heated seats, Nav, litronic, power seats, cd changer, digital sound, headlight washers, windstop deflector, PCM and $4,600 worth of exclusive options (auto dimming rear view mirror, leather sun visors, footwell lighting, alum/leather shifter and break handle, etc, etc, etc.)

So you see why i am excited. I am picking it up on the 8th from South Cal and driving it home to North Cal.

I do have a couple of questions (none are deal breaking):

1) I know a lot of '99 models had issues with RMS (rear main seal) and also with oil leaking into coolant -- do 2000 model years have those issues? His dealer is willing to do a full PPI for $460, but i can't get the dealer to tell me for sure if they check for RMS and oil in coolant. Should i not pay unless i hear if they check for those things? Am i too worried?

2) Can CD nav be upgraded to DVD by replacing OEM disk reader with a dvd one?

3) Where should i go to get extended warranty? Is there a consensus on this board for a 996 friendly after market company? If not, it sounds like i can get one from the local dealer (haven't asked him about the price yet though)

4) First mods already planned for the car: buy a 2nd V1, custom program it and hardwire. Also hookup iPod. Possibly upgrade sound system. Get the remoteTOP chip wilhelmy-it. Get headlight covers which make it look more like a 993/997. Ok, i should stop now before i get way ahead of myself

Looking forward to (re)joining porsche family
Old 05-25-2006, 11:50 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice...welcome aboard... we'll let you off easy...first rule post pics (when you get it!)

RMS is possible, not that big of a deal thoughh IMO.
I don't think you can esasily replace the cd with the dvd nav. I would suggest some aftermarket...kenwood or pioneer...or...someone will give you ideas (at the same time you can get a head unit that integrates with an iPod!)
Initial mod list seems fine...I would personally think twice before getting the headlight covers..they look..."cheap" to me. I'd do performance upgrades first...suspension, SSK for examples. and maybe wheels?

No idea on the ext. warranty though some here will pipe in I'm sure.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:00 AM
jkb
Racer

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Nice...welcome aboard... we'll let you off easy...first rule post pics (when you get it!)
abso-freaking-lutely. meanwhile i got picks of my 7er and a little European Delivery write up for those who care:

http://camel.ethereal.net/~jkb/ed
http://photos.jkb.org/v/cars

RMS is possible, not that big of a deal thoughh IMO.
yeah, just gotta budget for RMS, thats all. my bigger scare factor is oil in the coolant - hear it can wreak havoc on engines

I don't think you can esasily replace the cd with the dvd nav. I would suggest some aftermarket...kenwood or pioneer...or...someone will give you ideas (at the same time you can get a head unit that integrates with an iPod!)
to be honest, i am not a huge fan of aftermarket audio/video - the seem too bling-bling too me. on the other hand, i am an iPod guy and having ID3 and other song info show up on the screen would be huge for me. would seriously consider aftermarket if it fits perfectly into original screen.

Initial mod list seems fine...I would personally think twice before getting the headlight covers..they look..."cheap" to me. I'd do performance upgrades first...suspension, SSK for examples. and maybe wheels?

No idea on the ext. warranty though some here will pipe in I'm sure.
thanks. 911 suspension is not good enough? hehe, remember, i am comparing to the 7-series

as for wheels - yeah. i'd consider getting some lightweight 19"
Old 05-26-2006, 01:15 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Coming from a 7-series, I suspect the ride will already be "stiff" enough for you... modifying the suspension is one thing and if done properly will change the ride positively, however 19" wheels will certainly be a detriment. It's my feeling (along with many others here) that the 996 was simply not designed with 19" wheels in mind and it compromises not only the performance and ride, but in my mind looks too much like it's trying to be an Escalade with silly giant chrome wheels. Tasteful 18" wheels are my preference, though my car only has 17". I am a huge fan of the "very best OEM look" and for me the perfect wheels for the car are the 18" 02 Carrera 5-Spoke wheels.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 05-26-2006, 02:58 AM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the family

1) 2000's are not oblivious to getting RMS, but I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it. It's really not a big deal and I'm sure you've done your homework so don't get yourself paranoid about all the previous posts here. Its a quick fix.

2) I'd agree with wross. If you want to switch to a DVD-based nav you should go with an aftermarket unit. It will be a fair upgrade better then OEM and for less.

3) I'd go through your local dealer if prices are right. Most aftermarket companies tend to be unreliable.

4) V1 hardwired is a great start for modding. I'm sure you know it will definitely save you. I'd also suggest clear side markers as a good start and a SSK (if you have manual). For quick performance/sound, a nice pse or fabspeed exhaust would get rid of the quiet stocker. And for exterior, wheels always make a huge difference. I don't agree at all with what lowside said (having both 18s for track and 19s for street), but that's another argument I don't even want to get into! Oh, but if I were to mod all over again, I'd get suspension first....
Old 05-26-2006, 04:55 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

jkb....

Welcome to the zoo, er, uh, family! And, grasshopper, step into my office.....

---> BumperPlugs.com

Clear Sidemarkers
B&M Short Shifter
Painted Rear Console
Painted Bumperettes

newbie starter package.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-26-2006, 09:26 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome...I too am a BMW guy first...
Old 05-26-2006, 11:21 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome aboard. I agree with most of your mods except for those hideous headlight covers! They do NOT make the car look like a 993/997 instead they look like something they are not. Be proud of the 996!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome, looking forward to seeing your car...

And I agree that leaving headlights as they are looks good, but if you really hate them, a few people have switched to 02+ headlight style, but that is a pretty big mod.

Quick Reply: Welcome me to the family...