Hmmm... Door squeak in '01 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:05 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hmmm... Door squeak in '01 Cab

Ughhh... a pet peeve of mine...

My '01 Cab has a bit of a squeak when I'm driving it. Uneven roads, speed bumps, doesn't take much to hear it. It definitely sounds like the door is a little loose or flexing.

Is this normal in the 996 Cabs?

I've had lots of convertibles with a little door movement and the associated squeaks when the body flexes (Corvettes are brutal with this) but would have thought that the 996 would be without this problem. My BMW is perfectly tight.

Worth taking to the dealer? Anyone else with this problem?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:11 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi there
I have an 01 C2 cab and I have had some squeaks from the passenger side dash vent area. Squeaks were only when the top was up. Dealer took dash apart and installed foam pads and that fixed the problem. The top also squeaked and was lubed.....now top squeaks are back two years after lubrication was done.
No door squeaks yet.
It really helped me to have a passenger that could isolate the squeak area.
Good luck
Old 05-24-2006, 02:30 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a 99 cab and my doors do not squeek. Sometimes when going up a driveway or something you can feel the flex and hear the rubber moving, but no squeeks. I have a slight rattle on really rough roads on the drivers side where the top hits the windshield. I think that just needs a little foam pad or something as well.

I did notice shortly after I got my car that one of the doors has a more metal-to-metal sound when closing, but they are both about the same now. I wasn't sure if that was normal either, but I have never heard anyone else complain about it.

I would have it checked out because I am like you, rattles and noises drive me CRAZY. All I want to hear is the wind and the flat 6.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:38 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 01 Cab the doors did the same thing...a trick I used (picked up from my BME 5 series) is to lubricate the rubber door molding (where the door and the body touches) on both sides. Here's what the BMW service guys use.... - its not a permanent fix, but it lasts a couple months and you gotta do it again....

http://www.albatross-usa.com/htmlver...iLube_html.htm
Old 05-24-2006, 02:39 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the squeak where the door meets the pillar right behind your left ear? I had one there and it was annoying as hell. However, I cleaned up the rubber with some Aerospace 303 and the squeak completely disappeared.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:14 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by wlee69
On my 01 Cab the doors did the same thing...a trick I used (picked up from my BME 5 series) is to lubricate the rubber door molding (where the door and the body touches) on both sides. Here's what the BMW service guys use.... - its not a permanent fix, but it lasts a couple months and you gotta do it again....

http://www.albatross-usa.com/htmlver...iLube_html.htm
Good idea. I'm going to try this. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:15 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by 996 Convert
Is the squeak where the door meets the pillar right behind your left ear? I had one there and it was annoying as hell. However, I cleaned up the rubber with some Aerospace 303 and the squeak completely disappeared.
I can't even tell. My hearing is not what it used to be.

I'm going to try some lubrication and see if that helps. If not, off to the dealer, I guess.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Troy R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a rattle in 00 Cab on the left side. Sometimes it sounds like something rattling against the glass, other times I have no idea. Does drive me crazy though. Just haven't had time to try and locate it.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when the top is up.....everything squeeks and moans when going over oneven parts in the road....ramps onto gas stations, bumps etc.....guess this is a cab thing...when top is down it does the same but is not so noticable. I have a 99 c2 cab
Old 05-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 99 cab only has one recurring squeak.

The passenger sun visor where the detachable end clips into the receiver squeaks on some bumps. I periodically clean the connection with a silicone lubricant to stop/prevent the squeak.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:36 PM
jedier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys should check the TSBs (e.g., 70.., 7018, 7057, 7059) on RennTech. Fixes for many of the most common noises/squeaks. Downloading/viewing the TSBs requires membership though. Well worth it IMHO.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...s&code=carrera

Quick Reply: Hmmm... Door squeak in '01 Cab