Sponsored by:

Rough idle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 11:58 PM
Chicago996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rough idle?

Lately, I have noticed that the engine continually idles between 750 - 800 rpms with no load on it (no a/c, no loud stereo, etc). The tach needle is constantly twitching. The car has now 1400 miles on it (2001 C2, in one month...yikes...and this is NOT my daily driver double yikes!). The rough idle can be felt thru the seat of the pants as well. The service manager at my last unrelated visit said that "Porsche engines are never the smoothest ones." True? Or am I better off getting a 2nd opinion?

TIA
Old 10-10-2002, 03:40 AM
dom4471
Instructor

cud just be down to bad batch of petrol with little bit of dirt in it . have had several bad tanks in the past - have had petrol so dirty that the engine stalls...
Old 10-10-2002, 11:42 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
What's rough and smooth may be relative. There is definite sense of engine vibration. Although I would not call the engine smooth, I would also not call it rough. Certainly, my tach needle doesn't jump around, even after a hard run at DE. From your description, it's hard to tell whether it's normal or not. I'd go with a second opinion from another Porsche rep. Either that or you can check out the P-cars on the dealers lot, new or used, and compare.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:09 PM
seggy
Instructor

I also have the exact same symptom, but when I got a boxster loaner for a week, it did not make ANY vibration at all and the needle didn't move at all. It was like the engine wasn't running at all, except the needle wasn't at 0.

Many articles claim that the inline and flat six are supposed to be the most vibration-free configurations, aren't they? Because of that, I have always assumed that the idle vibrations from my car is from the fabspeed exhaust.

Will definitely ask to try another 996 next time I go to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Rough idle?