Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Metal flakes/glitter found in motor oil.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 02:37 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I understand your situation correctly, you have 7K miles on your motor so it shouldn't be an issue. However, when you take your motor apart for rebuilding or replacement of parts, the sealing material that gets distributed throughout your motor upon startup looks like metal flakes in the oil. It is very disturbing and looks like metal flakes but isn't. The best way to find out is to have your oil analyzed.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:47 PM
delirium
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
If I understand your situation correctly, you have 7K miles on your motor so it shouldn't be an issue. However, when you take your motor apart for rebuilding or replacement of parts, the sealing material that gets distributed throughout your motor upon startup looks like metal flakes in the oil. It is very disturbing and looks like metal flakes but isn't. The best way to find out is to have your oil analyzed.
Whoa, what is this sealing materia? This stuff normally flakes off into the oil?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:54 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Yeah, during the first oilchange after reinstalling my rebuilt engine (in the '44) this winter (which I did after running the motor for 30 minutes), the oil looked like it was full of metallic crap . . . but it wasn't metal. It was just the various sealants in the oil. They harden when they contact air, but the oil washes away some of the sealent that is on the interior side of the motor. Scary, but harmeless. That said, I doubt if that is the same issue after 7K miles. I just wanted to point out that metallic looking substances in the oil may not actually be metal shavings. All that glitters is not gold, or something like that.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:22 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

I paid my way through college working on cars (haven't touched many since). We did not work on Porsches, but "metal flakes" were often noticed when a car had it's first, and sometimes second, oil change. If you are under warranty for a while and the car seems to be running fine, don't worry too much. You can always get the oil changed again in 3 to 5 thousand miles if you want to sleep better and you should see an improvement. If you don't, then you'll know you have a problem. Or...you could call a service manager at another dealership to get an independent opinion.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:33 PM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd change the oil in 3000 miles and send a sample in for analysis. Some of the CAT (diesel) dealers (Butler labs?) do analysis that includes a microscopic exam for particles. You could also cut open the filter and look for particles on the media. BTW, running 5w30 Mobil 1 shouldn't cause any problems. Particles big enough to see should be caught in the oil filter before they circulate.
Dyson Analysis can provide an expert interperation of your oil analysis.
http://www.dysonanalysis.com/index.html

Quick Reply: Metal flakes/glitter found in motor oil.