Sponsored by:

can the judge override the traffic school timelimit if one has already

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 05:54 PM
yellowbmr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy can the judge override the traffic school timelimit if one has already

attended traffic school within 18 months, can he override that 18 month limitation & grant you another one? does DMV check or judge can overpower every decision?
Old 07-03-2003, 07:51 PM
PeterC4Cab
Advanced

You can attend traffic school as often as you want, it just won't take the ticket off your record if you have gone to traffic school in the last 18 month.
I don't know if this is correct, but that is what I've been told.

Peter
Old 07-03-2003, 08:02 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Peter, you are partially correct:
Yes, the judge can override the 18 months rule, I can tell you how to do that by mail, and the ticket will come off your record officially, ie the DMV will not hold it against your maximum, your number of "points" will not increase. BUT, the ticket will still show up on your record with 0 points, the insurance company will point to that and raise your rate as if you had the point.
So the only time I would go to traffic school twice within 18 months, is if the DMV is threatening to cancel my license for racking up too many points (been there done that)
Old 07-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Canyon Racer
Track Day

Also the judge usually requires a longer class time like a 12 hour or 16 hour class.
I did this once and my insurance didn't go up but I have been with the same insurer for over 12 years with no points.
Jerry
Old 07-03-2003, 09:29 PM
yellowbmr
Instructor

Question

amazing. about the insurance thing, since another post above you said, the insurance company will use it against me. i guess i should not ask for much since i had 4 tickets in 5 months & for 5 years i was lucky without a ticket. this past 5 months is been a nightmare, i guess just too many cops out there in Orange County. I showed up to court with my friend lawyer, & the judge granted me Traffic school, even though i attended one 6 months ago. i just hope my insurance does not catch this when i go to traffic school. my renewal is in august, should i attend the school by the end of the 3 months , so the renewal does not catch it this year.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:30 PM
yellowbmr
Instructor

1) I have 90 days to complete traffic school from today
2) my insurance renewal is in August.
3) if i go to traffic school in september, does that mean that the insurance company did not catch my ticket?

just totally confused.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:32 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will need to retain a lawyer and have him get you the option of traffic school becuase of the time restraint. That is what you have to do.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:30 PM
dbelleperc
Racer

You do know you can take traffic school over the internet. It only took me 10 minutes to complete for my brother instead of 8 hours in the class for myself.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:22 AM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not if the judge doen't allow you to, hence the need for representation. YOu can take anything all you want and waste your time if that is your thing. If you have already taken the regular traffic school some counties will allow you to take the 18hour school but you have to be right at the cusp of being able to qualify for the regular school in the first place. This is why you need the lawyer. I in fact am in the same position etc. Concerning internet traffic school etc. I prefer it also I find it only takes me 20 min for some reason though
Old 07-05-2003, 08:00 AM
GlobeTrotter
Track Day

I recently got a moving violation in Beverly Hills and have a court date in August. I haven't received any tickets in the past 18 months. And my insurance renewal is in September. I'm going to change the court date(hoping the officer pulls a no-show) and also fight this ticket to its death. Now because my insurance premium is absurd right now, I don't want my insurance to catch this one in September and raise my premium. Correct me if I'm wrong, but worst case scenario - I go to traffic school and get the ticket dropped from my DMV record and the insurance co. won't count it against me? please advise, thank you!
Old 07-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GlobeTrotter,
You are right. Since this is your first traffic school in 18 months, the insurance company cannot hold it against you.

Yellowbmr,
If you renew in August and go to traffic school in September, the ticket will not show on your record until you have completed traffic school, filed the completion papers with the court, and the court clerk enters them in the DMV computers. I don't think that ticket will show until October, so you are safe from the insurance hike at that point. However, if for whatever reason the insurance company checks your record after that, they will demand an increase in premium for continued coverage.

Quick Reply: can the judge override the traffic school timelimit if one has already