Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

to buy or not to buy . 996 C2 or E46 M3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 04:02 PM
vic32amg
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to buy or not to buy . 996 C2 or E46 M3?

Hey guys I currently drive a C32 amg and looking to get in something a little more sporty. I have been looking at both 996 and E46 M3. Any opinions and comments will be appreciated. Keep in mind practabilty has nothing to do with my decision, (space, gas, etc) I figure for the $$ I can get a fully loaded newer (04-05) M3 or a sightly older (00-02) 996 C 2 - has anyone made this change. pro's and cons etc.. I love both cars and have driven both , more M3's though. I drove a 02 C4S and that was a great car as well but i'm not a fan of AWD. 6 speed only not a fan of tiptronic or whatever.

thanks in advance

vic32amg
Old 05-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The E46 M3 will feel sportier than your C32, but the 996 has much sharper handling than the E46 IMO.

If I were you I'd plan on a day of test drives to see for myself!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:50 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't compare a M3 (a great car) to a 911.
A 911 is diferent..... You can read my way of thinking in my homepage
Old 05-17-2006, 07:01 PM
searching4996
Racer

An m3 is an EXCELLENT car if you need one that can also carry some passengers, has a useable trunk, etc and still gives you thrills when you drive it. If you really do not need to make any of these compromises ( as you wrote in your post) then the 911 is a much better choice. My kids we're getting too big to legitimately fit in the back seats of a 911 over the next few years, so I had to get the m3 ( no complaints either, it's a tremendous automobile). But after driving both, the 911 was clearly the better sports car overall.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche = A race car from the drawing board that is street legal
BMW = Street sedan with close to race car performance

Most of the difference is under the skin, for example on Porsche 911s you will find that all the suspension components are cast aluminum to save weight for better unsprung weight, and on most BMW sports sedans you will find stamp sheet metal welded together. (Not sure if the M3 have better suspension components)

It really depends on what you are really concerned about and what you enjoy from a car in order to decide which would be a better fit for you. The best case would be to be able to afford both cars, use the M3 as your daily drive and the 911 for the weekends.

So there are the questions that you need to ask yourself: If you answer Yes = the car you should buy, No = The car you shouldn’t buy.

Do you really care for features and an ergonomically well designed car? Yes = BMW, No = 911
Do you like a confident secure feeling when you are pushing the car to the limit? Yes = BMW, No = 911
Do you want to be different, a black sheep? Yes = 911, No = BMW
Do you mind paying higher insurance? Yes = BMW, No = 911
Do you mind spending more time maintaining your car or under the car? Yes = BMW, No = 911
Do you mind spending more money on tires and replace them more often? Yes = BMW, No = 911
Do you care for a high quality interior touch and finish? Yes = BMW, No = 911
Do you want to meet the owners of other cars and talk about the car that you own? Yes = 911, No = BMW

Compare the results, then you should be able to determine the car that you really want.

I have always told others who have questioned my 911s, that the 911 is not a “real” car. The car is quirky, loud, rides like a cheap small single engine plane. The A/C don’t work well, nothing is ergonomically placed in the cockpit. Tire wear rate is unheard of, parts are expensive, and it cost a bundle to change the oil. Heritage dates back to the good old VW Beetle, just look at the rain gutters. Of course most of the comments above apply to the earlier air cooled 911s, since the 996 the 911 have become more like a “real” car but still retained lots of the original 911 characters. Like the flat engine design, dry sump (hybrid now), good braking power, rear engine. But again don’t expect too much of the comforting features like other high end European cars. Porsche is trying very hard to redesign their original 911 street legal race car to a more user friendly, more comfortable driving environment but is still several years behind others.

After all buying a 911 is not a very rational decision if you are just a regular car guy.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:41 PM
vic32amg
Cruisin'

Rational is not part of my vocab, I want a car that outperforms on corners and decent straight line. I will say that I agree with Robin that the interior of the porsche is not " as tight " as may cars I have driven, however it did provide enuff to make me enjoy the vehicle. also the sound of the engine is amazing in my opinion. I could care less about getting anyone esle in the car other than myself and maybe my wife. The BMW is ALOT of car to throw around. Also every high school kid in SoCal seems to own a BMW. Does the porsche out perform the M3? I don't think by much. when driving it the Porsche seems like a pig , the stance was aggresive and felt ready to attack. The M3 felt well. Solid but just a little too much like my C32 (I have suspension Modifcations). The C32 AMG was my last shot at being practical, before that I had an Audi TT 225, and I loved that car. I feel like the 996 is what I always wanted to replace the Audi with. I have been hanging around these forums for weeks now and i think the best thing is to get behind the wheel of a low mile 996 for a thorough test drive and then make a final decision. both are great cars. one final note, the 997 911 has got to be the most beautiful car I have ever laid my eyes on.

thanks for the feedback.

vic
Old 05-17-2006, 09:00 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

starting from c32(and why u bot it again?), you will be fine with either one.
but 911 will put u in heaven. well, if it's not enough, get a cab.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:03 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

you are right the 997 is absolutely gorgeous...i was in your position, wavering between m3 cab and 996 cab. Finally I realized I would not be complettely satisfied with anything but a 997 S cab..Go For It! You won't regret it!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:23 PM
snaproll
Instructor

Originally Posted by vic32amg
Rational is not part of my vocab, I want a car that outperforms on corners and decent straight line. I will say that I agree with Robin that the interior of the porsche is not " as tight " as may cars I have driven, however it did provide enuff to make me enjoy the vehicle. also the sound of the engine is amazing in my opinion. I could care less about getting anyone esle in the car other than myself and maybe my wife. The BMW is ALOT of car to throw around. Also every high school kid in SoCal seems to own a BMW. Does the porsche out perform the M3? I don't think by much. when driving it the Porsche seems like a pig , the stance was aggresive and felt ready to attack. The M3 felt well. Solid but just a little too much like my C32 (I have suspension Modifcations). The C32 AMG was my last shot at being practical, before that I had an Audi TT 225, and I loved that car. I feel like the 996 is what I always wanted to replace the Audi with. I have been hanging around these forums for weeks now and i think the best thing is to get behind the wheel of a low mile 996 for a thorough test drive and then make a final decision. both are great cars. one final note, the 997 911 has got to be the most beautiful car I have ever laid my eyes on.

thanks for the feedback.

vic
If you go the 996 route, go for a 2002 or later model - chassis, engine and cosmetic improvements over earlier cars.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:38 PM
vic32amg
Cruisin'

thanks for the response guys,
Robbonds - As for the cab, I had a miata in the 90's and I can't go topless again. but to each his own. I love the look and feel of hardtop vehicle. and I live in the desert, I think in a cab i might melt into the seat. 120 in the summer. snaproll - as for the cosmetic improvements on the 02 & up , there seems to be a very split idea on which is better. I was reading another thread where some claim the 99' is quicker - weight etc - and that the interior refinments aren't all that impressive. But I will agree that I would enjoy having navi and or a decent sound system. but I could always go after market. Also robbonds, your car is best color - IMHO the slate gray is good as well- wow. I was trying to keep my budget to 40k ( I buy cars from the high line auction) so hopefully i can fine one that suits my budget. My wife is demanding a G wagon if I am buying a car strictly for myself so, she holds the cards unless I choose to get an auto so she can drive it too. that is simply not an option. never.

thanks guys.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:54 PM
vic32amg
Cruisin'

pl- I bought the C32 because I got married and thought it was the practical thing to do but now that I have been married a while (1 long year) I have decided being practical is not in me. Now I'm stuck with a fairly quick but not very responsive C32 amg - 349hp 4.9sec +/- 0-60 - it's time to change all this. It's a great car and has never given me a single problem. the quality of the interior is amazing ( some people say different about MB) but as an owner it is a very pleasent comfortable luxury interior. Who the hell needs that when all you care about is a motorsports driving experience, so now I am looking to change all that - my original choice for a replacement was the lotus but the wife VETO ended that Idea.

thanks
Vic
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 PM
mjet
Instructor

Both great cars! I give the edge to the 911 if you want more sport. If you want more of a sport cruiser go with the M. On long trips or drives I would prefer the M. I also sent you a PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 PM
pl
Drifting

very nice yard!
sorry nobody can't do topless under 120f
G500? all i read on the web are bad stories.
i can say, the reason u have this post is you haven't drive a 996 yet. otherwise, u will start a diff. thread just "should i go with 99-01 or 02-04".
Old 05-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all things being same (namely you are looking at USED cars)

go with the 911.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:31 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Moogle
all things being same (namely you are looking at USED cars)

go with the 911.
moogle, nice collection of cars

Quick Reply: to buy or not to buy . 996 C2 or E46 M3?