Sponsored by:

996 Mod to 3.6L GT3 motor.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 05:01 PM
Maxeemum
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 996 Mod to 3.6L GT3 motor.

I am thinking of pulling my 3.4L motor out and putting the GT3 3.6L motor in my car. I heard a company in Germany, FVD, can do it. Does anyone have any advice on this.
I have a 1999 996.
I need constructive advice. Don't just tell me that it won't work. I know it will work, but i want to get the full extent of the modifications that u may think would be necessary, and also the possible problems, that would require attention.

I appreciate your help in advance.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:42 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
I've looked into doing this for some local clients in detail,.........

We do have some GT-3's and GT-3R race cars here.

To install any of the GT-3 3.6 litre engines, you must use the GT-3 tranny. The 996 tranny will not mate with the GT-3 3.6 at all.

There are many electrical, cooling plumbing, and axle issues. Its very doable but NOT cheap.

I advised both of the clients who wished us to perform this conversion to buy a GT-3 instead. Its MUCH cheaper and you will not be stuck with a "Frankenstein" car that will have little value aside from the sum of its parts.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:01 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,

Having personally looked into putting a GT3 engine in my 996, I think you gave your clients some good advice. A quick comparison between the GT3 parts manual and a stock 996 pointed out so many differences in wiring harness, cooling, rear axle, etc. that I quickly convinced myself that this was not a good idea. The other problem was that I couldn't find anyone who had actually done one of these conversion and was able to make it street legal in the US.

I think the only practical options for those of us in the US who want a GT3-like experience are to buy a GT3 Cup car and use it only on the track (since it isn't street legal) or buy a RUF RGT, if there are any left.

Karl
Old 08-21-2001, 09:37 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Hi Karl:

Great points,...I did not even raise the spectre of emissions and OBDII compliance and more and more States & Municipalities are emissions testing with the OBDII system from the ISO-port.

This would preclude such a conversion from being street legal and therefore as unlicensable as a GT-3 in many places.

Quick Reply: 996 Mod to 3.6L GT3 motor.