996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 magic

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 09:02 AM
donkeyman
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have a Targa, holding down the lock/unlock button on your key will open the roof and windows. The reserve is also true. Very handy on a hot day - you can release all the hot air before you get in the car. Nice trick to impress your friends with too!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
UKTarga
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Donkeyman - Cheers for that!

Have had my targa for 3 days now and wondered if that was possible. Should have spent time reading the manual, but hey, i had a new car to play with!!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:41 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

porsche-t ... you can also just pop the rear window and slide in 2 full sets of golf clubs....power the targa top back, windows open, start engine ... grin from ear to ear!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:33 PM
wyo996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

So what's the deal with the lights, if you turn the switch too far one of the tail lights are dimmer or off, right or left, I forget. Then everyone tells you there is a bulb out. What possible function could there be for that? My 2000 C4 did it too. Must be a european thing. Or is it when you pull the switch out too far? Will
Old 05-16-2006, 01:45 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear fog light. One of my pet peeves when people drive around with them on. Very distracting. I'm guessing most people don't even know they have them, dumbasses.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:46 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, not you. Just the people who drive around with them on all the time.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:09 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by wyo996
So what's the deal with the lights, if you turn the switch too far one of the tail lights are dimmer or off, right or left, I forget. Then everyone tells you there is a bulb out. What possible function could there be for that? My 2000 C4 did it too. Must be a european thing. Or is it when you pull the switch out too far? Will
After I took the car in to replace the rear fog light bulb that was "out" the dealer informed me that there is only one rear fog light to indicate which side it is safe to pass on (light someone should be passing in the fog anyway), and there is intentionally only one light so that the fog lights don't appear to be break lights.

-td
Old 05-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

(1). The horn will sound once when you lock the car with the remote if any of the compartments is not closed (trunk, engine, center console box, door)

(2). You can turn on the parking light on either side by using the turn signal (common feature on Euro cars)

(3). Push twice on the window switch for auto roll down and up. (Actually I prefer the two stage on the BMWs much better)

(4). Headlight washer that turns on only when you have the high beam on and the windshield washer turn on at the same time. I guess the German logic is that, hey if the guy is washing his windshield and have the high beam on that means his headlights must be dirty?

(5). Automatically shows the oil level on the display gauge for 30 seconds whenever you fill up your gas tank.

(6). Speed sensitive sound system level that's adjustable

(7). Front trunk open lever automatically locks whenever the door is in the closed position

(8). Remote clutch slave cylinder bleeder valve, nice feature they added after the 993.

That's all I can think of at this time.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=Fog+lights
Old 05-16-2006, 03:36 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Robin993DX - the horn will also honk once if you have removed the factory radio (apparently it's monitored also).

(1). The horn will sound once when you lock the car with the remote if any of the compartments is not closed (trunk, engine, center console box, door)
Old 05-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
(2). You can turn on the parking light on either side by using the turn signal (common feature on Euro cars)
Really? I just use the side park positions of the headlamp switch.

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
(3). Push twice on the window switch for auto roll down and up. (Actually I prefer the two stage on the BMWs much better)
Twice? I just push once
Old 05-16-2006, 04:16 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume you're referring to 2 different features: the parking lights, and the rear fog light. It's a European car thing.

If you turn the switch left, past "Off" (pull while turning) the parking lights illuminate on only one side of the car. It's designed so that cars can see you if you are parallel parked alongside the road but without draining your battery quite as much.

If you pull the switch out 2 clicks with the headlight on, the rear high intensity fog light switches on. Some cars have 2, we have 1 on the left. It's really annoying when people leave it on when there is no fog.

Quick Reply: 996 magic