Sponsored by:

R-compound tyres ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Andreas.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question R-compound tyres ....

Hi, does anyone knows if we can install a set of R-compound tyres in our cars?!,if not what's the modif. required? since there's in the track some 996 with them.
tks.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by bilstein 996C4:
<strong>Hi, does anyone knows if we can install a set of R-compound tyres in our cars?!,if not what's the modif. required? since there's in the track some 996 with them.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Yes, you can safely install R-compound tires on a 996 without any modifications. However, you may benefit from some suspension work, in addition to R-compounds, if you are an aggressive driver or want to seriously track the car.

<a href="http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/pilotsportcup.html" target="_blank">Michelin Pilot Sport Cup</a>

<a href="http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p004.htm" target="_blank">P-Zero Corsa # Carnewal.com</a>

<a href="http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/pzeroc.htm" target="_blank">P-Zero Corsa @ Bob Woodman Tires</a>
Old 01-14-2003, 12:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts
Should not be a problem at all to use R-compounds on the 996. I like to get a set for this season-either Michelin Pilot/Kuhmos/Toyos. Only thing is whether to heat treat/shave or both. No modifications needed as long it's same size as street tires. Regards. Mike
Old 01-14-2003, 12:24 PM
cooper996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The manual states that the warranty is void if you use slicks on the vehicle due to the potential high centrifugal losading, causing oiling problems. I don't know if this applies to R compounds as well. There is an oiling kit available for the 996 that essentially makes it a true dry sump motor.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:56 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by cooper996:
<strong>The manual states that the warranty is void if you use slicks on the vehicle due to the potential high centrifugal losading, causing oiling problems. I don't know if this applies to R compounds as well. There is an oiling kit available for the 996 that essentially makes it a true dry sump motor.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">There is no problem with R-compound tires. In fact, some people have even used slicks with the infamous oiling problems.

BTW, the PMNA kit you are talking of does not transform the engine into a dry sump system but does add scavenge pumps to ensure oil pressure in critical areas. I believe this kit is not required on later models.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:22 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Viken ,
Do you know where I could obtain this kit?
Old 01-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Andreas.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the answer!.
This is a great news. A good thing about the dry swimp oil pump also.
What about the Toyos 1-S they seem to be excellent for track. The tread of the P-Corsa is awesome!.
Let's ready to leave behind some M3 in track!
Old 01-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by DJ 996:
<strong>Viken ,
Do you know where I could obtain this kit?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">The oiling kit is available from Porsche Motorsports North America in Santa Anna, CA. I think it is around $1300. You have to remove one of the heads and ship it to them for retrofit. They turn it around overnight and ship it back along with the rest of the parts. I think my dealer charged me around $500 for the install.

Karl
Old 01-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by DJ 996:
<strong>Do you know where I could obtain this kit?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Trust me, you don't need it. But, if you insist, here's where: <a href="http://www3.us.porsche.com/english/usa/home.htm" target="_blank">Porsche Motorsport North America</a>
Old 01-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

Installing the kit will void your Warranty...!!!
Or so I have been told.!!! Sure you spen $1300 to save them an engine and they don't want you to do it go figure.

I have run Pirelli slicks a ....no problems...except maybe a stiff neck :-)
Old 01-15-2003, 07:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
FWIW, this month's edition of European Car magazine (just arrived in the mail yesterday) has an article regarding R-compound tires.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:03 PM
NMoore
Racer

I had the shallow-tread CompTA/kkd for a while, unbearable racket. Has anyone driven on the street much with the Pilot Sport Cup?
Old 01-16-2003, 03:33 PM
slodrivingmike
Instructor

I use Hoosiers at de events. They have made a world of difference on the track.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Over on the 996TT board, I belive user 'Jack' uses Pilot Sport Cups on the street.
There was also a recent (within a week or so) thread regarding these tires with links to the website for detailed specs.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Arthur
Pro

Bruce Anderson wrote a response to this issue on the PCA website. He has never seen this oil starvation problem causing engine failure. I tend to believe his opinions. I know of 2 996 owners who drove their cars very hard on the track, used R-compound tires, and never had a problem.

Quick Reply: R-compound tyres ....