Sponsored by:

Adding an aftermarket MP3 player

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 05:09 PM
CGB
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Adding an aftermarket MP3 player

I have been looking into the possibility of adding an MP3 player to my 99 996 with a CDR-210. It appears that there are a few approaches:

1. Use an FM modulator (or cassette adapter) which allows the most flexibility, but with the worst sound quality.

2. Add a trunk-mounted unit that looks like a CD changer or feeds into the aux input of the Becker head unit. I have seen a couple possibilities here, including the EMPEG (a dash-mounted unit which has been discontinued), the Neo Car Jukebox, and the PhatBox. The advantage here is that there is a hard drive which can be loaded up from a home PC with MP3 files. The challenges are that the Neo unit requires a wired remote display to operate, which takes up a DIN slot in the dash. The PhatBox emulates various CD changers and can be controlled by the head unit, but apparently does not support the Becker receivers at this time. Also, in my particular case (according to Becker) no trunk-mounted units will work at all because althought the CDR-210 will support a remote changer, it will not support an alternative aux input. The Becker CD changer (or one that emulates it) must be connected for this input to work. I understand that other head units (such as the CDR-220) would work.

3. Also, there are hard-drive based head receivers, such as the Sony MEX-1HD or the Pioneer DEH-P90HDD. However, these will not allow the user to download MP3 files directly. The hard drive is loaded by ripping CDs directly from the head unit itself, so the user's MP3 collection would need to be converted to audio CD and converted back to MP3 in the receiver.

4. Finally, there are receivers which can play MP3 CDs as well as audio CDs, however these typically support only a single CD. These would also require adding adapter plugs or cutting wires - which I am trying to avoid on my leased vehicle.

Has anyone discovered a better way to get large-capacity MP3 sound into the Becker receiver?
Old 01-13-2003, 05:22 PM
Mike in MD
Advanced

Try a search in 996 Turbo archives for "XM and MOST" together. A recent thread started with those words in the subject moved on to talk about adding an IPod to a Becker head unit. I am told that once you start using an Ipod, you can't go back.

Try private messaging member "itc" from the thread, he knows his Becker.

I also find the Becker Board useful. Most current link for it is in the last post of the thread.

Enjoy.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:02 AM
18000rpm
Intermediate

iPod + iTrip:

<a href="http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/" target="_blank">http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/</a>

Quick Reply: Adding an aftermarket MP3 player