Sponsored by:

$150.00 for key programming???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:25 PM
delirium
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $150.00 for key programming???

My dealer has told me that it will cost me to reprogram the key on my 996. I want the doors to automatically lock when the ignition is turned on & also to lock when 5 mph is hit... he told me it will cost $150.00, it sounds high, anyone know how much it should cost, or where else I can go to get this done? I thought they just need to plug the car's computer into some controller & access & change this option, very simple? Can it really be $150?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Bascially they are charging you for an hour or so labor too hook up the PST2 and reset the values for these items. My dealer wanted an hour labor to attached the PST2 to turn off the airbag light. I bought the durametric PST2/OBD tool to turn off the light, but I don't thnik it will do the reprogramming you want. You might Email Durametric and see if it will do this as the tools is less than $200 and is very handy for other things.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

My dealer in San Diego charged 1hr (~$100) to program a new key. So 1hr seems "reasonable". Seems they charge 1hr as MINIMUM for any job even the actual time is less.

- Ahsai
Old 05-08-2006, 08:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The durametric tool is not a PST2. It is nothing more than a OBD reader with airbag light turn off functionality.

As for the door locks, if you have a GOOD relationship with your dealer then they should do it for free. Just talk to your salesman or service advisor. I had the locks set and the OBC turned on gratis by my dealer. Just depends on your relationship with the dealer. If you do NOT have any work done there and are not on a first name basis with your salesman and your SA then you are going to have to buck up and pay the $150.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:32 PM
delirium
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
The durametric tool is not a PST2. It is nothing more than a OBD reader with airbag light turn off functionality.

As for the door locks, if you have a GOOD relationship with your dealer then they should do it for free. Just talk to your salesman or service advisor. I had the locks set and the OBC turned on gratis by my dealer. Just depends on your relationship with the dealer. If you do NOT have any work done there and are not on a first name basis with your salesman and your SA then you are going to have to buck up and pay the $150.
Whoa, I didnt know that OBC was turn on-able w/ the PST2, how do I know if I have the OBC on? I can check my oil, and outside temp etc.. already..
Old 05-08-2006, 08:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Then your OBC is on. Some cars (like mine) didn't have that functionality unless you ORDERED it with the car but it's there. Dealer turned mine of gratis.....same with the locks. IMHO is should be gratis regardless on the locks since that is a "safety" type issue that the dealer should program according to your requriement.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:54 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

I recently paid $150 to get a key remote programmed. The estimate was $150. It only took about 10 minutes (and would have been less if the tech got the numbers entered right the first time). I asked if the actual charge was going to be the $150 estimate. I was told, "Yes, we have to pay for the $30K tester (PIWIS) somehow."

If you have the outside temp, then you most likely have the OBC enabled, but you cannot operate it without the stalks or some hacked buttons installed. On later models, I have read that you cannot just get the OBC turned on and add the stalks. Don't recall what the complication was.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

LVDell - I'm not sure that I agree that the Durametric is nothing more than a OBD reader with airbag light turnoff functionality. Mine gives significantly more information than any OBD reader I have seen, with specific codes note only for engine fiunctions, but also ofr airbag, security,etc., and look at hours of op etc. Since I purchased mine they have released 2 updates of the software (which are free) and added several functions. They are also working on the ability to bleed the brakes with ABS and enable the OBC.

I for one am happy that someone out there is trying to give us Porsche owners an alternative to the PST2 for $3,500+ or the charges the dealers stick us with. It seems that Durametric is commited to improving the functionality of the tool, and it cost only a little be more that a quality ODB reader. Just my opinion.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Dharn55.....ok, maybe I should rephrase. It is NOT a PST2 nor does it come close the functionality of it. Is it more than an OBD tool code reader? Yes. But with limited extra values to capture. Nice features but NEVER will it come close to the PST2.

Either (1) PAG engineered the system in such a way that software like this will not be able to do everything a PST2 would (think about the money they would lose) or (2) PAG will not allow this to progress to that point without serious legal manuevers.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by delirium
My dealer has told me that it will cost me to reprogram the key on my 996. I want the doors to automatically lock when the ignition is turned on & also to lock when 5 mph is hit... he told me it will cost $150.00, it sounds high, anyone know how much it should cost, or where else I can go to get this done? I thought they just need to plug the car's computer into some controller & access & change this option, very simple? Can it really be $150?
Sounds high to me. Its a very simple process and takes only a few minutes. I took 2 new keys to an Atlanta dealer .... the first time they had ever seen me. They must want to keep my business, because they programmed both ( and asked about the auto lock options, etc) for a grand total of $49.00. Had it done before I could finish a cup of coffee in the fancy waiting room.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only a dealer can program a key. Independent shops with PST2's can not. I have a PST2 and I can not program keys.
Porsche requires that dealers contact PCNA and get an IPAS code to program keys, imobilizers, and few other things. My guess is that it is done that way for legal reasons as well as our safety.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:38 AM
delirium
Racer

Originally Posted by Loren
Only a dealer can program a key. Independent shops with PST2's can not. I have a PST2 and I can not program keys.
Porsche requires that dealers contact PCNA and get an IPAS code to program keys, imobilizers, and few other things. My guess is that it is done that way for legal reasons as well as our safety.
Dang, I was going to go to a independent Porsche mechanic to get him to do it, but so much for that idea... so $150 is a fair price (excluding being buddies w/ the service advisor?) Its highway robbery! Anyone else get it for less, anywhere in So. Cal? I got this quote from Mckenna Porsche.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by delirium
Dang, I was going to go to a independent Porsche mechanic to get him to do it, but so much for that idea... so $150 is a fair price (excluding being buddies w/ the service advisor?) Its highway robbery! Anyone else get it for less, anywhere in So. Cal? I got this quote from Mckenna Porsche.
I can't be sure .... but this thread may be mixing two different subjects:

Mating a new key to a car: can only be done by a Porsche dealer. The mating process, as Loren describes, requires a code specific to each individual VIN that must come from PCNA. (if you're also mating a remote key head, it requires the bar code ID that comes with the head).

Selecting among the Auto Lock options: is performed with the PST2 (like the mating process) .... but I am not at all sure it requires the secret vehicle code. I believe it is an option process similar to using the PST2 to tell the car's computer that you have the child seat / air bag deactivation bar installed.

If that is all you need done (as opposed to mating a new key to a car), then at least check with an indy shop with a PST2.

Last edited by Kims996Cab; 05-09-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:42 PM
AsianImage
Racer

Sorry for REHASHING this thread but I used the SEARCH Feature and found this.

I plan on taking my car to Rusnak Pasadena and asking them to turn the auto lock feature for me as well. I love have the locks engages when I hit the 5-10mph mark and unlock as soon as I pull the key out.
$150 seems crazy to do this.
Whatever happened? Did the OP get it done? Did the OP pay the $150? Need a follow up to this story!

Thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 12:03 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Either (1) PAG engineered the system in such a way that software like this will not be able to do everything a PST2 would (think about the money they would lose) or (2) PAG will not allow this to progress to that point without serious legal manuevers.
There is nothing even remotely complicated technical wise about the PST2 nor will or can PCNA go after a 3rd party for creating a diagnostic tool. Selling pirated PST2 CDROMs for $3k doesn't count. Back in 2000 the US congress was going to legislate that automotive manufacturers provide information about everything in their cars to independent mechanics for non-dealer servicing and to allow for the creation of inexpensive 3rd party diagnostic equipment. To head this off the NASTF was formed (which Porsche eventually signed on to). The issue with 3rd party programming of keys is still being ironed out , some manufacturers have released the necessary info while others have been (and will continue) delaying this for as long as possible.

Quick Reply: $150.00 for key programming???