Sponsored by:

acceleration issues....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 08:44 PM
NH911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question acceleration issues....

I have a '99 996 with a tiptronic transmission. The car just turned 64k miles. a month or so ago I had a problem with an uneven idle when it around 2000rpm's. The tech said it was a transmission issue. Come to find out, somehow the transmission fluid was low. There were never any signs of leaks. Anyway, He did a complete transmission flush and refill and the problem went away.

I made a trip this weekend from NH to CT and now I seem to have a new problem. When I am I driving and step on the pedal to give it more gas, the car does go but really doesn't take-off until I hit 3,000 rpms. It is almost like something is not catching or something is slipping until I get to a certain point.

Just before this trip, I did smell burning rubber. Perhaps this could be a belt that is worn and/or slipping? I did have the serpentine belt changed at 60K serive. Any thoughts? Anyone think it could be the transmission? Any other tip owners have problems with their transmissions?

Thanks for your help with this.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 AM
NH911
Intermediate

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea at all, but I'm very curious to know what you find out. Sorry I couldn't offer any help.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might try resetting both the DME and Tiptronic mapping.
To do that (make sure you have your radio code) disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes. This will force the DME to re-learn it's idle and acceleration maps - expect a little rough idle for the first few minutes. Likewise the Tiptronic will re-learn your driving and acceleration pattern.
Wait a couple of days and if the problem hasn't been cured then find a shop with a PST2 or a PIWIS tester and have then read any fault codes. Most aftermarket testers can read the DME fault codes but not the Tiptronic fault codes so that is why you will need to find a shop with a Porsche system tester.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:32 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren
You might try resetting both the DME and Tiptronic mapping.
To do that (make sure you have your radio code) disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes. This will force the DME to re-learn it's idle and acceleration maps - expect a little rough idle for the first few minutes. Likewise the Tiptronic will re-learn your driving and acceleration pattern.
Wait a couple of days and if the problem hasn't been cured then find a shop with a PST2 or a PIWIS tester and have then read any fault codes. Most aftermarket testers can read the DME fault codes but not the Tiptronic fault codes so that is why you will need to find a shop with a Porsche system tester.
loren,
this kind of "hard reset" will damage my car in any way? besides i have to input my radi code.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:46 AM
NH911
Intermediate

I did drive the car really hard all day the day before this started happenning. I was at a car control clinic and drove the car harder than I ever had. Perhaps the car still thinks I am driving that way. I'll try the reset and see what happens. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by pl
loren,
this kind of "hard reset" will damage my car in any way? besides i have to input my radi code.
I'm not Loren (nor do I play him on Tv...) but disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes will not harm your car. Unless you try to open your door while the battery is disconnected (the window will not drop down).

Small tip, most cars have their radio code handwritten by the assembler on the option sticker on the underside of the front hood.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:30 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Have you had any Mass Airflow Sensor problems?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:06 PM
NH911
Intermediate

I've had not MAF problems at all. The check engine light has never come on.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:58 PM
NH911
Intermediate

I diconnected the battery for an hour or so to reset some things but it didn't seem to help. I'll take it to the shop later this week to see what they come up with. It seems to be shifting too fast - it gets into 5th gear before I hit 50mph if I don't push it. When it is in fifth and I step on the gas, it doesn't always go into fourth and sometimes feels like there is an "overdrive" kicking in. It always happens at about 3000rpms. The transmission itself seems to be running and shifting smoothly. Hope it is just a belt or something that is slipping. Any thoughts or guesses before I take it to the shop?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my tip does exactly the same in 5th before 50mph...this is normal...when I kick it on it's tail...it shifts back...depending how hard I kick it 2-3 gears....the car feels sluggish when driving normal....this is a normal P tip thing...so I have read....I don't think there is anything wrong with your tip....this is just the way it is
Old 05-08-2006, 09:28 PM
NH911
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply, but I've had the car for a year and it didn't seem to act like this until recently. Even if I am running in manual mode, the gears don't kick-in for a couple of seconds. It is almost as though something is slipping up until a certain point. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.....I'll get it checked out either way.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:41 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I bet it's the maf. I never had this issue with my Pcar but my MB SUV had the same problem. I even had the tranny fluid changed and it actually got worse. I have the change the MAF and that fixed it.

Good Luck.

P.S. My check engine light never came on.

Originally Posted by NH911
Thanks for the reply, but I've had the car for a year and it didn't seem to act like this until recently. Even if I am running in manual mode, the gears don't kick-in for a couple of seconds. It is almost as though something is slipping up until a certain point. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.....I'll get it checked out either way.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:26 PM
GoodSpeed Sweden
Instructor

my tip does exactly the same in 5th before 50mph...this is normal...when I kick it on it's tail...it shifts back...depending how hard I kick it 2-3 gears....the car feels sluggish when driving normal....this is a normal P tip thing...so I have read....I don't think there is anything wrong with your tip....this is just the way it is
I agree with Nicolaas. Mine does the same if I drive smoothly. It is supposed to adapt to your driving style. Smooth driving=quick up-shift to 5'th.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:51 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodSpeed Sweden
I agree with Nicolaas. Mine does the same if I drive smoothly. It is supposed to adapt to your driving style. Smooth driving=quick up-shift to 5'th.
I third Jakob and Nicolaas. My Boxster and 996 are tips. I always tended to drive in M but latley have been driving in D and notice that it jumps to 5th very quicly and I get almost (not quite) the same feeling as being in a stick in the wrong gear. As the others say once you stomp on it it downshifts quickly. If yours is not shifiting into gear quickly than there maybe an issue. I have always felt that my Tips shifted pretty quick. a couple of seconds is way to long. Good luck at the P-Car Dr and please let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: acceleration issues....