Sponsored by:

Exhaust opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:22 PM
woody-77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust opinions

I know this has been posted a few times here but I wanted to get a few more opinions. I am close to purchasing a Fabspeed exhaust for my 99 996. Does anyone have any strong opinions for or against this system vs. other system.

Also, what is a good price for this exhaust?

I like the sound of the Fabspeed but wanted to know if it will really help with horsepower and torque if anyone has this system on their car and is not a distributor or salesman.

Thanks for the help and opinions.

Last edited by woody-77; 05-03-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Please, Woody - we're drowning in Fabspeed vs. PSE posts.

Do a search for Fabspeed in the last month, there's a ton of stuff.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:02 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

call me. I have run 4 different systems. I can tell you my thoughts.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:09 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed Schnells about 2 weeks ago. Distinctly throatier at idle and but not too loud. Much louder under full throttle, but no resonance and fairly quiet while cruising. More compact design and lighter than stock mufflers.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:16 PM
woody-77
Racer

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
Please, Woody - we're drowning in Fabspeed vs. PSE posts.

Do a search for Fabspeed in the last month, there's a ton of stuff.
Including drowning in your Fabspeed post. Actually it was a good post and excellent thread, it was exactly what I was looking for. It would have been a little more cordial of you to just post the link to your thread and I would have had no more questions.

I did do a search but spelled it fab speed with a space which came back with only 20 posts, my bad.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by woody-77; 05-02-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:16 PM
woody-77
Racer

Thanks slaaw
Old 05-03-2006, 08:50 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh come on Woody, the Nut did give you good advice and it wasn't rude...just a stated face. This topic has been rehashed a billion times and there is literally a ton of information if you search on 'exhaust', 'muffler', 'modification', or 'mod'. Indeed, I literally read all night in order to help make my decision.

But here's the best piece of advice you'll get: you really need to hear these exhausts in person. It makes a ton of difference. While the audio files online occasionally do sound 'right', they more often than not do not do justice to the mufflers. All of the high quality names that you have probably already heard of (Fabspeed, GHL, Dansk, Ruf, Cargraphics, PSE, etc) should be a nice upgrade for you from stock simply as a result of the aural pleasure. In terms of horsepower, claimed increased are heavily contested (some say good gains, some say get real). But, I do think that you won't lose output, and again, you'll gain that fun aural driving pleasure that is the feedback from your engine. But just be careful it's not too loud for you; that's why I suggest listening to them in person. Since you live Mississippi, you might try the local PCA chapter there and see if you can get a good demo from some members.

Anyway, there are a couple good links out there that have some audio clips. Since they're a little buried, I found them for you. The first link is a video of my car with the Ruf exhaust (bottom of the seat, and from their UK web site, it seems like a modest increase in ponies...it sure as heck didn't lose any power which is a concern with some manufacturers). I will admit that it sounds almost nothing like the car at all in person but I did my best to post it. The exhaust note is actually deeper and richer when behind the car but my Sony point and shoot digital camera just doesn't have a good microphone. The second link is a compendium that Mitty put together a while back. There are some good posts there so read through it in total and you should have a better sense when you're done. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Exhaust opinions