Castrol RS 10W60 , why not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:11 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
Guys, run an oil from the approved list and move on....arguing oil with 1999 is a complete waste of time. He will not accept facts and seems to enjoy the dispute a little too much.
Yeah, that reminds me of the old saying, which I think applies here. The saying is better when read aloud.

"Don't argue with your wife.... dicker!"
Old 06-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default I've run Mobil 1 0w-40 for a long time in my '02 Boxster ...

Originally Posted by BruceP
I run Mobil 0W40 and do not get this tick, even in hot weather. Why?
with nearly 170,000 miles on the car and don't get the ticking either. Just a bit of chain noise upon startup that goes away very quickly as the engine oil pressurizes the chain tensioners. Takes just seconds.

What I do notice is that as the oil gets some miles on it -- around 4000+ miles -- the engine seems to be a little noiser than when the oil is fresh.

Since I change the engine's oil/flter every 5000 miles I suspect that those that run the engine's oil for longer period of time and more miles the oil suffers a decrease in viscosity -- from increasing levels of water and unburned gas contamination -- and this less viscous oil can result in zero-lash valve lifters bleeding down more when engine shut off. Chain tensioners also can loose more oil and in fact this thinner oil will drain away from all engine surfaces and passages more readily than fresher higher viscosity oil.

Also, what can contribute to a car's engine being noisy (or noisier) upon startup is how long the engine sits.

With 170,000 miles on my car's engine, the engine gets run almost every day and for more than just a few miles.

But for an car that gets used very seldom, or with long periods of inactivity between being used, the oil has more time to drain away from everywhere in the engine and as a result the engine's going to be noisier upon startup than an engine that run's more frequently, all other things being equal.

Porches don't like to sit unused for long periods of time although a lot of them do sit unused for long periods of time. While there's a cost to using a Porsche there's a cost to not using it as well.

And Porsche engines I think do better with more frequent oil/filter changes, but arguing for this is like shoveling sand against the tide using a teaspoon.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

170,000 miles on one of Porsches recommended oils.

Surely you must have been driving in Alaska, right?

From the posts of some you could infer that they would have expected your engine to sieze long ago.

Way to drive the car!! Got any pics?
Old 06-02-2007, 05:44 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no.....NO not another oil thread!

PLEASE GOD MAKE IT STOP!!!!

Soooo... where can we get oil wenches?
Old 08-24-2014, 04:52 AM
210k911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10w60

Originally Posted by juankimalo
I wonder why Porsche recomends Mobil 1 0W40.
The core of a 911 is a high performance engine. I know it's perfectly covered by this fantastic oil. Mobil 1 0W40 is enough to prevent wear , and it's good enough to protect the engine on extreme weather conditions too .
But i was thinking about Castrol RS 10W60, another wonderful product with different viscosity. Perhaps this is the ideal viscosity to be mounted in warm and hot climate regions.
I live in Spain. In summer we have 2 or 3 months very hot. Temperatures raise 40º C or a bit more
¿what do you think about this?
This comes directly from http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...toroel-10w-60/ Or use google and search for "Porsche 10w60". First hit....

"Porsche Classic's 10W-60 version is an absolute ultra-high-performance oil. Its viscosity guarantees optimum lubrication behaviour, both during cold starts and in a hot engine at full throttle. The fully synthetic PAO-based (polyalphaolefin) oil also has excellent properties in terms of evaporation loss, HTHS and shear stability. Anyone venturing onto a race track in a 911 would also be well advised to use the 10W-60 oil, since it cares for and cleans the engine."

Quick Reply: Castrol RS 10W60 , why not?