Sponsored by:

Got a ticket this morning! Ideas welcome

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I intend to do traffic school regardless of the out come. Living expense is way too high in California already, the last thing I want is higher insurance rate.

Again, I violated a law and I have no problem paying a fine. I wasn't trying to get out it completely, would be happy to some acceptable fine and get on with it. Not at the jacked up speed the cop wrote me up for.

When I told my wife of the speeding ticket news she wasn't even mad, she said "They should have caught up with you a long time ago! You have been lucky so far....." as she thinks based on the way I drive I should have gotten a lot more tickets. FWIW.... she have gotten 3 tickets in the past two year....
Old 05-01-2006, 08:05 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Robin,

Call the court where the hearing is to be held (prior to the hearing even tomorrow). Ask for the clerk that handles speeding tickets and ask if they have any type of "safe driver" "deferral" "probationary period" or "judgment before verdict" program or whatever that county/city is calling it. In most states the program and the terms and conditions vary by county (make sure to read the specifics of the program you are dealing with). Usually the program involves paying a “fee” and then waiting a period of time without getting a ticket (period varies according to the program). If you successfully do not get another ticket during the period then the ticket is not put on your driving record and not reported to the insurance companies (basically you pay for the your infraction but not penalized for the next 4 years by your insurance company). If they do offer a program, ask how to get information about it and what qualifications you must meet. Many times they will send you the paper work prior to the hearing and you can sign mail and include your check without showing up at the court date.

One potential issue you have is the ticket is 70 in a 35. 35 mph over the posted limit is usually considered reckless driving in most states and carries much heavier fines, points and usually precludes you from participating in any type of deferral program. Ask about the program without giving the ticket information. If the speed is something that disqualifies you then either speak to a prosecutor and/or assistant DA and/or inquire to local counsel about the ability to have the ticket speed dropped and qualify for the deferral program.

As you indicated most counties/states use tickets for revenue generation so usually they are willing to work with you to get the most bang for the buck. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:25 PM
42empress
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Ct, you can sometimes make a "charitable contribution". They get their money, but you get no points. It does help to know a lawyer with connections to the court. If you are facing high points and increase in insurance rates, ask around for a lawyer. Preferably one who used to be a prosecuter.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:51 PM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

what vehicle code was cited for 'unsafe'?
22350?

Last edited by dpblessing; 05-02-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:53 AM
ojpimpson
Banned

Pay up

Quick Reply: Got a ticket this morning! Ideas welcome