Sponsored by:

Got a ticket this morning! Ideas welcome

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 02:59 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
I think V1 offers to pay your ticket if the citation is received within 1st year of purchase.
No they don't. RMR does, which is a scam company, sells a product that doesn't work, and I dont think has ever paid the ticket (if you look at their list of tickets they won't cover basically everything is an exception).
Old 05-01-2006, 03:02 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA! Eyeballed! I'd take that to court just to see if he'd say that again in front of the judge! Where the hell did this occur, Hazard County, WV?

If he isn't pacing you or using a speed measuring device then he should have just checked the "speed greater than reasonable" box.

The very reason there are speed measuring devices is because of BS like that!

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
My turn to get pulled over for a ticket, 1st one in 5 years after purchasing the V1. My V1 didn't go off so I know he didn't use any radar device to clock my speed.

The officer told me that I was going 70 mph on a 35, when I asked him to show me his radar he said that he eye balled it.

So he wrote me up for

(1). No front license plate
(2). Unsafe speed

Under that in the box section he put down:
Speed approx. 70 Max speed 35 didn't put a check mark on radar, laser box.

Any strategy to fight this one?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...if all it takes for a traffic conviction in court is a cop's eyeballing proficiency, then why would they ever need speed-detecting equipment? Every traffic cop can just shut off their equipment and write up any perceived offenders with impunity. While they're at it, why not pad the speed as well for revenue since the burden of proof lies with the offender to provide evidence to the contrary? If I were a cop, that right there gives me a carte blanche to write up anyone I'm in the mood for at any given time regardless of their actual speed.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:41 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No radar or LIDAR? Sounds like he just wanted to jam you because you were driving a P-car. I used to hear traffic cases as a pro tem judge and in "he said, she said" cases such as this, you're much more likely to get a favorable ruling. Remember, the cop has to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt and if he was doing his job properly, he should have at least paced you. While you should not have admitted to anything, he also made a mistake telling you he had to accelerate to 70 to catch you, as common sense distates that to quickly catch up to a moving car from a low speed or standstill, you'd have to accelerate to a higher speed that the car was going or the gap would never be closed between both cars. If you decide to go to trial, which I would with these facts, then raise these issues. Your cop should be embarrassed to present his case before a judge and may not even show.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:53 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know if he paced you thats one thing, but eyeballing, thats just bull****, If that were me i would have said something stupid like " Please sir can you get your eyes off my *****"...What a jealous dick.
If you were not doing 70 i would fight it all the way, This to me is just a hugh joke, who is policing the police?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:03 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Guys, it's a prima facie state. He's not ticketed for 70 in a 35, he's ticketed for driving at an unsafe speed.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:18 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

My turn to get pulled over for a ticket, 1st one in 5 years after purchasing the V1.

You have a clean driving record, so chances are excellent that you should get PBJ, Probation Before Verdict. You'll have to pay court costs and avoid getting another ticket for a specified period of time that varies by State. If you are convicted of another moving violation within the probation time, then both violations are shown against your driving record.

Be courteous and respectful to the Police Officer and Judge, and you should do fine without a lawyer.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:24 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right, but how can he prove he was driving unsafe and at 70?

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Guys, it's a
state. He's not ticketed for 70 in a 35, he's ticketed for driving at an unsafe speed.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's an interesting idea, not sure if the judges here in CA grants that. The truth is that all the cities in California are so money hungry they want to use every possible reason to make more money.

The previous ticket I received was in GA caught by lidar from behind, 62 in a 45 zone at the toll plaza speed pass. Who would have thought even with the speed pass you have to slow down. The ticket was for $300, I admitted fault and asked the judge for fine consideration, the judge waved the point and gave me a 50% discount.

The court date is set on 7/5, thanks for everyone's input. I will take the polite approach first to see what the judge will do, if possible I would also talk to the office who wrote the ticket prior.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Here is something more to add to that.

Here is a map where the incident occured.

I was heading north on Fullerton, made a left turn on Rowland street, and this is where I think the cop saw me. There is a stop sign at Dawson st, which I made a full stop, and it is less than 2000 feet from where I made the left turn. From the stop sign it is another 2000 feet to Radecki where I made a right, which at this point the cop was about 200 feet behind me. He pulled me over right at the entrance of my office at the end of the Radecki.

BTW, this happened at 7:00am this morning, there were very few cars on the road.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:50 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

With that many intersections you can forget about getting any help from prima facie. Just get a lawyer, pay him a couple hundred dollars, do some community service and pay the state a fine and be done with it, chances are no points.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Well, the angle I was going to use was to show the distance that I had to accelerate after the left turn and after the stop sign to show that it was impossible for me to go that fast. FWIW, I was in my 993 this morning, a 10 year car with 90k miles.... not nearly as fast as my 996 :P
Old 05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring that map to the Judge and explain it just as you did ,you'll get off!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:13 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

You already admitted you were speeding, so I still think it's a no go. To be speeding in such a tight route at all means you were gunning it. The your word vs. their word thing works in their favor, partly because there is no reason to trust you and partly because police are "trained" to identify speeding vehicles.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:47 PM
WFO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think anyone mentioned the fact that, since your record is clean (no tics in 5 years)....you could always go to traffic school, and depending on the county you live in, you might be able to do the school "on-line" in the comfort of your own home, while enjoying a few cold beers. :-)
True, you have to pay the fine and pay for the traffic school costs....but sometimes that is less painfull than doing the lawyer thing and wearing a tie to court. Just my 2 cents....fwiw.

Quick Reply: Got a ticket this morning! Ideas welcome