Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Nagging ?? w/996...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006 | 11:58 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Visiting our home headquarters today and took a friend to lunch who speaks fluent German, born and raised there

He said Manuell is not correct!!

He knew of no translation for this word and was almost embarrassed Porsche spelled it this way.

Anyone ever find out what’s up?? I can nail him tomorrow with the reason and look like I know something
Old 07-20-2006 | 12:51 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by bdronsick
Something that has always nagged me in the 996: why does the temp control unit turn itself back on with each startup if I've specifically turned it off before shutting the ignition off? This stuff was always mechanical before, but with the 996/7's LCD digital technogadgetry, the unit somehow has the power to turn itself back on by itself. Any way to disable this nuissance?? Any help appreciated, as always.
Not sure. Mine keeps the same settings as when I turn it off, when I turn it on. If it is in Auto when it goes off, it is in Auto when it come back on. Same for any cooling setting or turning it off.
Old 07-20-2006 | 03:03 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Bump

Anyone....it's 11 pm PST, I will concede defeat tommorrow morning when I meet him for breakfest, only if nobody pipes in.....

Originally Posted by rbennett
Visiting our home headquarters today and took a friend to lunch who speaks fluent German, born and raised there

He knew of no translation for this word and was almost embarrassed Porsche spelled it this way.

Anyone ever find out what’s up?? I can nail him tomorrow with the reason and look like I know something
Old 07-20-2006 | 07:32 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Manuel L. De La Garza did the programming for the display and decided to pay homage to himself, hence the Manuell.

BTW, Just kidding!
Old 07-20-2006 | 09:07 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I have a 2000 and when I turn mine off it comes back on upon restart of the engine.. Pisses me off too!
Old 07-20-2006 | 09:11 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bdronsick
Regardless, what a hassle. Sure do miss those VDO gauges and simple temperature controls of my old 993. Thanks anyway.
Although the A/C does work well in the 996.
Old 07-20-2006 | 10:17 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Bump

Anyone....it's 11 pm PST, I will concede defeat tommorrow morning when I meet him for breakfest, only if nobody pipes in.....
The AC unit electronics were outsourced to VW's puertorico/mexico facility..so MANUELL isn't actually german, it's some kind of spanish.
Old 07-20-2006 | 10:24 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

I have the same situation. If I turn the A/C to Off, then when I restart the car, it does NOT say Off. It shows the temp, though the fan is on the lowest (perhaps off) setting. I've never understood this, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere why they (German cars) do it. I'll try to find the thread.

UPDATE: Here's what they had to say over on RennTech :

"Thank Ralph Nader. This is because of a fresh air (anti carbon monoxide) law he helped pass that requires fresh air in the passenger compartment on all vehicles."

I guess that makes fair enough sense.

Last edited by nycebo; 07-20-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2006 | 11:02 AM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by nycebo
I have the same situation. If I turn the A/C to Off, then when I restart the car, it does NOT say Off. It shows the temp, though the fan is on the lowest (perhaps off) setting. I've never understood this, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere why they (German cars) do it. I'll try to find the thread.

UPDATE: Here's what they had to say over on RennTech :

"Thank Ralph Nader. This is because of a fresh air (anti carbon monoxide) law he helped pass that requires fresh air in the passenger compartment on all vehicles."

I guess that makes fair enough sense.
i used to think only in US we got all *great* laws to protect us. like the lawyer-screen u got when turn on navigation.
Old 07-20-2006 | 11:06 AM
bet
Drifting

I don't know what to tell you..all the web based German to English translators indicate that "manuell" means Manually or "with your hands". Also a "non-fluent" German speaking individual (i.e. had some college classes - albeit at a crappy school ) in my office indicates it means that also. What does your fluent German friend claims it means?
Old 07-20-2006 | 11:16 AM
bet
Drifting

Originally Posted by nycebo
Interesting but what about the recirculate air feature? I think that if you have the "recirculate" air (which eliminates outside fresh air) on the system does not turn it off which would defeat this rationale. Also cars with non-electronic controlled climate control systems can be turned off and don't come back on? No answers from me just questions.
Old 07-20-2006 | 01:00 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Good point, Bet. Moreover, it's worth nothing that the fan doesn't turn on (the setting is no bars when I turn off the A/C before turning off the car). So how the heck is it circulating? But, maybe it just opens the vents a bit to increase air flow?
Old 07-20-2006 | 01:39 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bet
Manuell is German for "Manually" I believe. Manuell goes away when you hit the "Auto" button, but will come back if you adjust the fan speed or vent controls.

Is the system off when "off" is not displayed? If so what does the "off" setting mean?
Yeah like deAD-EyE, initially I also though it was French but then it has 2 "ll's" so... But logically it should be German as you mentioned.
Old 07-22-2006 | 03:22 PM
wrljet
Racer

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
The AC unit electronics were outsourced to VW's puertorico/mexico facility..so MANUELL isn't actually german, it's some kind of spanish.
Curious. "manuell" shows up in German dictionaries I've looked in.

Bill
Old 07-22-2006 | 03:25 PM
wrljet
Racer

Originally Posted by bet
The A/C stays off but if you completely shut down the climate control system to where it says "off" does it say "off" when you restart the car? If so yours and my 2001s are different. The climate control system always comes back on when restarting the car. Granted at the lowest setting but on, nevertheless.
How do you make it say "OFF"?

I just got my car back from the dealer, with the Climatronic unit
replaced. When I picked it up, the thing displayed "LO", which I
had never seen before. Of course, I never bothered to read the book.

Bill

Quick Reply: Nagging ?? w/996...