Questions for Passport SRX/Bel RX75 Users

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:59 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Questions for Passport SRX/Bel RX75 Users

I have some questions for Passport SRX/Bel RX75 users:
1. Is it true that they don't detect POP radar and, if so, in your experience does it matter?
2. Does lack of a rear radar detector matter?
3. For someone in a State such as California that bans laser countermeasures, is the SRX/RX75 Plus laser defuser funcitionality overkill/wasted (i.e., should I get the model without that feature, or can it be put to use, say, for trips to neighboring states )?
4. Do you ever wish you had saved the money and stayed/gone with a dash-mounted unit?
TIA
Old 04-20-2006, 01:39 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those radars are (in my opinion!!!) all bulls..... because I have a Bell and it reports all signals coming from autodealers and other radar users...but I have had many cop cars pass me or follow me..and not a single peep!! Because it only works when the cops have their radar on to "ping" you! If they do visual controls..you are still screwed...SO you have to really really keep your eyes open to not get cought.....I don't say that the radar doesn't work!!! It just takes care of maybe 20% of the problem.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Patric F.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a Passport SRX and a Beltronics RX75+. I thought they did a great job, but as Nicolaas said, a good set of eyes and common sense will be more effective. To answer your questions, radar is multidirectional, so you do not need a front and rear radar unit. You do need a front and rear laser unit. The Beltronics unit does block laser and that has been proven by independent testing.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:59 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the input, guys. So if situational awareness is the key, is the incremental benefit of the SRX/RX75 worth the cost? Note: I got my first ticket in 20 years a month ago, so I think my situational awareness is pretty good. But I've only had my 996 for a year and a half, so I'm also thinking the extra 'protection' might be warranted now.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a ticket for making a wrong turn..with the cop sitting right in front of me..didn't know it wasn't allowed.

got a speeding ticket in a Honda Element....I drive slower in my P than in the SUV..don't know why, maybe because I know they are watching me!!!

I bought the Bell at Ebay for 100 bucks less than they normally go for...and I hardly use it. I guess it depends on where you live...here in SoCal you kind of have follow traffic, because they drive like idiots here!

I think there is a better way to spend 250 bucks...but that is just my opinion..and I bought one!
Old 04-21-2006, 07:07 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I got a ticket for making a wrong turn..with the cop sitting right in front of me..didn't know it wasn't allowed.

got a speeding ticket in a Honda Element....I drive slower in my P than in the SUV..don't know why, maybe because I know they are watching me!!!

I bought the Bell at Ebay for 100 bucks less than they normally go for...and I hardly use it. I guess it depends on where you live...here in SoCal you kind of have follow traffic, because they drive like idiots here!

I think there is a better way to spend 250 bucks...but that is just my opinion..and I bought one!
Nicholaas - you are just cracking me up the last couple of days!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Patric F.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I live in Ohio, and the cops are terrible.

Originally Posted by C4 Pazzo
Thanks for the input, guys. So if situational awareness is the key, is the incremental benefit of the SRX/RX75 worth the cost? Note: I got my first ticket in 20 years a month ago, so I think my situational awareness is pretty good. But I've only had my 996 for a year and a half, so I'm also thinking the extra 'protection' might be warranted now.
Definately worth the money here. I rarely go a day without seeing a cop in the median running radar or laser. I pay attention pretty well, but there are always those moments that I am glad I had the warning.

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Troy R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got a passport for mine. Still not real confident in it, definately must have "open" eyes and common sense in addition. However, it paid for itself two weeks ago. Was in a passing lane doing about 95 when it went bezerk (sp?). I thought, there's no false alarms out here and hammered on the breaks. Came around a blind corner and there was the state cop. Nailed the guy behind me that flew by - albeit he wasn't doing 95.

Also, the Passport has a detector on the top that looks backwards through the rear window in case a cop is sneaking up on you. Don't know how well it really works, but that's what they claim.

Quick Reply: Questions for Passport SRX/Bel RX75 Users