996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PPI Results back w/ a Steering Issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:49 AM
screameleons
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI Results back w/ a Steering Issue.

Just got the results of a PPI back, and they say that the Rack and Pinion system needs to be replaced. They said that the steering has "too much play". I asked what causes this, and they say it is caused by wear and tear. The car only has 18k miles on it, so it seems a bit premature for something like this to happen. The total cost to fix this is $2000.

My questions are:

Is this normal wear and tear taking into consideration that the car has 18k miles?

If not, what else could cause "too much play" in the steering?

Does $2000 sound like the correct price to fix this?

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I would walk away from this... that's far too few miles to have the r&p go. Too many 996's out there...

Rob
Old 04-17-2006, 11:54 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea sounds a little off, for " Normal wear and tear" Is it from a P-car Dealer?
If you drove it does it feel like to much play in the wheel, or is the dealer looking to keep a tech busy for a few hours. I am not saying pass on the car, maybe the current owner will pay for the repair, Who is doing the PPI?

Last edited by kilrgt; 04-17-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:12 PM
screameleons
Instructor

The PPI is being done by Crown Porsche in Charlottesville VA. This car is actually in the same state as me so it was pretty convenient. The car is not from a dealership, and actually belongs to a Rennlist member. He doesn't believe that there is too much play in the steering, and also thinks they are trying to keep the techs busy. Although I have not yet driven the car, this is something I will do prior to purchase. At the moment, he is arranging to get a second opinion at an independent shop. I realize that not every car is going to be perfect, but I also want to gauge the seriousness of the problem.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:56 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I would guess that at such low mileage, it would be a tire or alignment problem, rather than the R&P.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:58 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is car under warranty? How much play is there in the steering? If you are close to the seller, take a test drive first and have a good look over the car.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:29 PM
screameleons
Instructor

I am going to see if I can drive the car Tuesday. What am I looking for? When I think of the term "too much play", a loose steering wheel comes to mind.

Vince
Old 04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by screameleons
I am going to see if I can drive the car Tuesday. What am I looking for? When I think of the term "too much play", a loose steering wheel comes to mind.

Vince
Vince, I would try to drive one before you go to look at the one in question. That will give you the best idea of what to look for.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:07 PM
screameleons
Instructor

My plan was to drive as many as possible prior to pulling the trigger, but there just are not that many for sale in my area. The cars that have been in the area either have high mileage or come in a color that I do not like. I did not want to waste the sellers time, knowing that I had no intention to purchase one.

By any chance, are you located in Vienna VA? I drive by a car that looks just like yours.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:45 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As the owner of the car, let me add a few comments

1. The 15k service, done 3000 miles ago, was performed by the head judge of the Porsche Parade in Hershey,owner of that nice Carrera GT that was on display there. Also a judge at Amelia Island. The invoice says specifically that the steering components were checked.

2. I own 4 Porsches and 2 BMWs and drive by this particular Porsche/BMW dealership 4 times a day. I don't, and won't, do business with them, and none of my circle of BMW and Porsche friends will either. There are good reasons for this. However, the new owner is free to take the car anywhere he choses for PPI. BTW, I paid for this PPI, which turned out to be a fishing expedition by the dealership. I volunteered my opinion to the service writer.

3. The dealership told the new owner verbally that the rack was bad and that the car would not pass state inspection, though they did not put this in writing. I took it to an independent shop this morning and asked them to check the rack and the tie rod ends. No problem found, which did not surprise me. The car has new inspection sticker on it as of 9am this morning.

I really enjoyed driving the car this morning and am having second thoughts about selling it. But the new owner is a good guy, just the sort of person that ought to own the car.

Steve
Old 04-20-2006, 11:08 AM
screameleons
Instructor

Steve, Thanks for taking the time to respond here. I have every intention to follow through, and your post has put my mind to ease. I will see you this afternoon!

Quick Reply: PPI Results back w/ a Steering Issue.