Sponsored by:

coolant smell mystery on 996 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 03:46 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay, an update:

I put on a new cap (part number ending .01) and the car is running cooler and I don't smell that coolant as much at all. Indeed, I 'll have a better sense as the weather starts to get hotter what with summer around the corner. However, I definitely recommend swapping out the old coolant tank cap with the new one whether the smell is evident or not....it just seals a lot tighter and more secure.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:00 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TCR
Please post your findings. I have a 99 CPO, and was told that this repair was not covered. The dealer quoted me something like $750 to replace. YIKES!

I am having a difficult time digesting the fact that this known repair issue is not covered by a Porsche warranty.
Find another dealer.....its covered...mine was done under CPO warranty.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:56 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The coolant tank does have a habit of failing slowly - on 996 and Boxster.

Only vents under high pressure/temp at first, hence the slow slow leak, and just a hint of coolant smell.

Eventually it goes enough to be noticeable, or to cause low coolant level during normal use.

Dealers should know about this, but some still like to act dumb and suggest you have a new water pump, etc etc first, racking up the $$$ before they swap the tank.

I had exactly this experience, with my dealer insisting it was water pump, and that I was paying $1000 for the repair, until I took the info on the leaking tanks to the PCNA area rep.

Then all of a sudden it was a tank issue..... go figure!

Best to swap the tank before loss becomes critical of course - and yes, your dealer will want 4 hrs labour for the job!

Chris.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:45 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Read the warranty!! it's one of the sutle differences between the original factory warranty and the Porsche CPO. It ain't covered in the CPO.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:14 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Ah, wrong. From Porsche's US web site....
"The Porsche Approved Limited Warrany offers full peace of mind. Porsche Cars N.A. will repair or replace with a new part distributed by Porsche Cars N.A. any factory-installed part that is faulty in material or workmanship under normal use. Warranty coverage is Limited to the following components:

* Engine (engine block and all engine internal parts but excluding exhaust system)
* Cooling System
* Fuel System
* Electrical System
* Transmission
* Drive Train
* Suspension and Steering
* ABS Brake System
* Brake System
* Heater/ Air Conditioner"
It would seem that the expansion tank is part of the cooling system, yes?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:05 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swear, this is just like the V1 post. Why doesn't someone ask which exhaust sounds better or what tire they prefer.... try the #$#$# search funtion.....
Old 06-12-2006, 04:51 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not covered under the CPO some dealers may replace it under good will but it is not covered by CPO. Neither is your front power window regulator but the window motor is, go figure.

Quick Reply: coolant smell mystery on 996 ?