Sponsored by:

Storing tires on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:29 PM
chuckla
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing tires on wheels

Spoke to Reggie at Tire Rack. He recommends that tires on wheels be stored vertically-that is, upright with the tread on the floor rather than sideways with with the sidewall on the floor. Does anyone agree or disagree? I kept my summers sideways on the floor (with one front on each of the rears) and, even after balacing, the fronts vibrate more than used to. I always thought storing on the tread would lead to flat spots. What do others do?
Old 04-12-2006, 02:34 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Yokohama says to store them vertically. They'll flat spot if there's a car on them, but under their own weight I wouldn't expect any flat spotting from storing vertically. Yokohama also says to drop the pressure to half of what it is when you use them.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:51 PM
jdk1
Instructor

I have always stored the winter / summer wheels and tires on their sides, in a stack. I am not endorsing this method as correct, but I have never encountered any problems.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckla
Spoke to Reggie at Tire Rack. He recommends that tires on wheels be stored vertically-that is, upright with the tread on the floor rather than sideways with with the sidewall on the floor. Does anyone agree or disagree? I kept my summers sideways on the floor (with one front on each of the rears) and, even after balacing, the fronts vibrate more than used to. I always thought storing on the tread would lead to flat spots. What do others do?
Never heard that before. I store mine sideways.

What reasoning did he give??
Old 04-12-2006, 03:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I store my track wheels/tires on their side in a stack one on top of another. Can't imagine that there is evidence to either method being detrimental to the health of the tire. Also, I don't see the point in dropping the tire pressure so low either. I guess this is a "to each his own" kinda thing.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:39 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Yokohama specifically says
"As a rule tires should be stored in an upright position to prevent distortion or disfiguration and to make mounting work easier"
Old 04-12-2006, 03:43 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys have gotta be kidding me. Storing a tire a certain way is detrimental? Seriously? We're talking about a part that gets assaulted at highway speed from every angle, pothole, road seam, and otherwise. It seems unfathomable that a tire lying on its side is going to distort. Then again, maybe the tire-maker doesn't want the wait of three tires on top of the bottom one.

As for storing in an upright position to make mounting easier....that's gotta be so you can roll it without throwing out your back.

And personally, I'm thinking of creating a hyperbaric chamber for them so they don't age during the offseason.

UPDATE: Because l like to be a contrarian, how about this tidbit of information from The Automobile Protection Association:
Are there any specific precautions to take when storing winter or summer tires?

Follow these few rules and your tires will remain in perfect condition throughout their service life:

If your tires are stored mounted on wheels, keep them inflated to a pressure of 15 PSI (1 bar).

Ideally, do not store them in an upright position, but stack them laying flat on their side. If this is impossible, leave them upright and rotate them about once a month to prevent the formation of a flat spot.

Protect them with plastic bags thick or dark enough to protect the tires from ambient light.

Avoid extreme temperatures and humidity. Above all, refrain from storing them outside, where they will likely be subjected to temperature swings and high humidity.

Do not leave them on a moist or greasy floor; isolate them with a wooden plank.

Keep them at least two meters away from electric motors and radiators. These devices generate ozone which oxidizes tire rubber and deteriorates the tires.
Someone always has a different opinion....

UPDATE 2: Goodyear feels the same way. Admittedly, it's for Goodyear RV tires, but how different can they be?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:04 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Ok, well I decided to go to whom I consider THE source: The Rubber Manufacturers Association...good group of guys, if you stop by their office they will most likely give you a free tread depth gauge and tire pressure gauge.

"STORAGE TIPS
Tires should be stored in a dry, cool place, away from sunlight and sources of ozone, such as electric motors.
If you must store tires flat, (one on top of the other), make sure you don't stack too many on top of each other. Too much weight can damage the bottom tire.
Also be sure to allow air to circulate around all sides of the tires, including underneath, to prevent moisture damage.
If storing tires outdoors, protect them with an opaque waterproof covering and elevate them from the ground. Do not store tires on or over black asphalt or other heat-absorbent or reflective surfaces, such as snow-covered ground or sand.
For more information on tire care and safety, contact:
The Rubber Manufacturers Association
1400 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 682-4800"
Old 04-12-2006, 04:21 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Interesting topic of discussion...

I store my tires/wheels upright in boxes I received from the purchase. I was also informed to add an additional 5 psi for winter storage.

Tire vs. Tire/Wheel winter storage may be different conditions.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

Discount tire stores keep them both ways ! Some tire stores can get them 15 high.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:39 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Discount tire stores keep them both ways ! Some tire stores can get them 15 high.
Yeah, but think about how fast they move stock.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

By the advice of some then we better not drive our cars since the tires will be exposed to light, temp, humity, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.......

When will it ever end?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:48 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

No, see storing and driving are different things. When you drive on your tires you move around where pressure is applied which both prevents flat spotting and also works around oils that are in the rubber keeping them fresh.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That was my attempt at dry humor. I wasn't being serious spike.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

What if I roll them around in my garge every few days?

Quick Reply: Storing tires on wheels