996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LA area exhaust install ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 07:41 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
20c4s that is a bummer that they had some problems initially. Was it someone other than Dan who put it in? I have found Dan to be an enromous source of information and a nice guy to deal with, same of course goes with Tom at wheel enhancement. I would rather have them do my stuff any day. I think it boils down mainly to a point where 1. They have done whatever you want to have done often and know the ins and outs of it so they don't have to spend more hours figuring it out along the way and possibly damamging things, and of course 2. They are familiar with the lineage of the car and or brand, i.e. going from a 993tt to working on a 996tt is much easier than going from a japanese car to a german car, or really for that matter from a bmw to a P car. But to each their own. I believe it's all about going with someone you know who has had the same thing done there and or simular stuff done with the same car and that should reduce the problems enormously.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:30 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
From my personal experience Tom and John at WE are fine to deal with on the front end. But the problems that I've had with them is on the back end of a purchase, when or if you have a problem that needs to be taken care of. They become very arrogant and like to shuffle the puck. Calls never returned etc. I am not the only one that has this type of service from them, there are quite few others that have had this "after sell" sentiment.

On the other hand By Design is busy for a reason, you can drive by any day of the week, and there will be a parking lot full of high-end vehicles for a reason. Now drive by WE {they are in the same neighborhood} on the same day and you'll be lucky to see any cars in the parking lot. BD has many repeat and very satisfied customers from all over the globe. They stand behind what they sell and make sure the customers are happy with their purchases and will stand behind what they sell.

In fact myself and a few others that have had problems with other tuner or product purchases from other retailers, By Design has helped out to solve the problems with out any compensations.

Sure, anyone can sell you stuff at a good price, it's when you have a problem with what they have sold and how they handle the problem is how a company should be judged.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:47 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts
bottom line is, find a guy and shop that u can trust with. at least let them get to know and remember u.

i've always found out later that the price is not an important issue after u get to know the guy well enough. the point is u can trust them. they do need to make profit in order to survive, so i don't mind let them make a little money if they do the car right.

SPR,

that wasn't Dan who put my stuffing in. he's always busy as u know. of course if u know him personally, u know that'll be a different story. it was a black guy who worked on my car. i got scared by him. to tell u the truth, i was sweating all over the place...

OAK

sorry to hear that. i did have the same feeling with them before. (infact, every shop is like this) like i said, get to know them personally is important. find a guy u can trust. i can call Tom anytime i want no matter he's at work or not. that's a good sign to me!
Old 06-28-2003, 02:55 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

20C4S, I beg to differ, I don't think every shop is like this. In fact I find it very rare that I've been treated in this manner. I try to be very reasonable. For some reason, when ever dealing with Dave, or John I get a feeling of apathy. Like they are doing you a favor. Seems like they aren't very happy to be in the business.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:52 AM
Hamann7
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oak,

I agree that By Design is a pretty decent shop. Where I don't totally agree with them is their approach to tuning. They are definitely ok for a show car, but not a go car.

Their highly tweaked GIAC/K24 program that some of their customers have would make me sweat bullets. Though they claim 600+ hp on 100 octane, I can see long term reliability/longevity problems with their setup. I have seen one of these cars in action and to tell you the truth, it didn't really seem all that fast. By the way, Cargraphic and FVD confirmed that they are pushing more customers towards the GIAC route rather than the RS Tuning program.

As for their FVD stuff, they basically charge you 20-30 grand for an alleged 540hp. Although as you may have heard, Wilber encountered one of these cars and well, you know how the story goes. To be fair, I guess FVD should take the blame for this one... either that or we underestimated the difference between 625hp and 540hp.

Then another customer had just gotten a brand new Tech Art body kit installed on his 996TT and not even a week into it, the front bumper was already falling off and he had to hold it up with duct tape.

I really like the guys over there, but there definitely have been some problems.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Tyson,
By Design has the same basic programs that all the other tuners that sell the GIAC products have. I know of many turbo owners that have the GIAC DME, and have absolutely no problems. From my personal experience By Design is not sold on any one tuner, they will build a tuning program to your preference, hence the name By Design.

At the time I had purchased some FVD products, the price was about the same as if I were to by it directly from FVD. From what I've heard from Michael Mansouri the car that Wilber ran against wasn't an FVD turbo and had a stereo system that weighed quite abit.

As you know the spoilers are always being repaired at By Design from owners carelessness. Especially new owners. By Design has the body kits down, It's hard to say with out seeing the spoiler but, I doubt the spoiler is falling off from poor workmanship. Either way I'm sure By Design will do what ever to make the customer satisfied.

Quick Reply: LA area exhaust install ?