996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DC metro area people

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:06 PM
mrhmmhmm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to add a little more about the Curry's experience. The total price of the mounting+balancing was a hair over $100. Additionally, they washed the car and vacuumed the interior free of charge. They also parked the car directly in front of the shop and as I was getting into the car and was about to reach down to remove the protective paper mats over the floormats, a gentleman literally ran out of the shop to throw them away for me. A truly suprising level of a service for merely putting tires on the car. Or is that normal?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:42 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Highly recommed Radial Tire.
They've been shodding the cars in my family for the past 15 years or so now. In addition to the prices and level of service, a big plus is that they use the 2 piece european weights that don't scratch the wheels. It's why I was surprised that they weren't mentioned before.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:42 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrhmmhmm
I'd like to add a little more about the Curry's experience. The total price of the mounting+balancing was a hair over $100. Additionally, they washed the car and vacuumed the interior free of charge.
You actually let other people wash your car?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:23 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 444 Posts

Hey I would like to pay my hello's. I drive a 99 C2 in the unique color of Orient Red. I did have the pleasure of seeing a beautiful 2000 C4 a few weeks ago outside of Myer Emco in Bailey's Crossroads. I live in Maryland out Rt4 and here I usually am the only 996 on the road. Plenty of Jaguars and Land Rovers and BMW 7 series though it seems.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:04 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up out that way in Upper Marlboro and when I visit that area all I see are Boxters and the other cars you mentioned.

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Hey I would like to pay my hello's. I drive a 99 C2 in the unique color of Orient Red. I did have the pleasure of seeing a beautiful 2000 C4 a few weeks ago outside of Myer Emco in Bailey's Crossroads. I live in Maryland out Rt4 and here I usually am the only 996 on the road. Plenty of Jaguars and Land Rovers and BMW 7 series though it seems.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

I'm in McLean over by Tyson's Corner... I need to start getting together with the D.C. / NoVA P-Car crowd. Sounds like a fun group.

Mark
Old 06-01-2007, 08:12 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

On the DC area service shops, HBL has really tried my patience. I've never seen a dealer so bad at scheduling, communicating, and following orders. The old service manager was good, not just a good guy but he actually knew what he was talking about. Mike Milloy is a good guy, but I don't think he should be a service manager. Then there is Evan who I feel for because he's basically all alone there, but he really just can't handle the work load they give him. Cashiers don't pick up the phone to let me pay before pick up, and I've never had anyone respond to a voicemail. I know dealers that are MUCH better (Euromotorcars, MB of Arlington), but sadly they I don't know any good Porsche dealers.

So, it's time to try an independant. I know Autothority and may try them, but I'm going to get a price quote on replacing a clutch from Intersport too since Autothority seemed kinda high for an indy.

BTW, to any MB owners here, if you want an independant MB tech in the area, as far as I'm concerned Mitch Carr's is THE shop.

To BMW owners, it's BMW Excluservice.

Maybe it's unfair for me to compare those MB and BMW places to a Porsche place, but I'm going to try and find something comparable anyways.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey everyone,

Also from the DC area. Live over by Lowes Island in Sterling and work in Reston whenever I'm not working from home.

We still use HBL for two of our in warranty cars and I am not very pleased in general with the experience. I am mostly a DIY guy on the Pcar whenever I can muster the time. Have used Curry's for some major stuff and overall can't complain about the work or service other than the price is on the high side. But they (Curry's) do take pretty good care of you and your car.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:41 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Hmmm, guess maybe it's because I'm on the MD side of things, and on that side they're all just a bunch of cheap rich people.

You say NC Summer 06...what part of NC? I'm in NC just 20 miles north of charlotte.
If you're in Maryland and want to see alot of Porsches in one place at the same time, try this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/east-us-rennlist-region/353668-sunday-june-24th-8-9-00-meet-9-15-departure-scenic-maryland-covered-bridge-tour.html
Old 06-02-2007, 10:38 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by marlinspike
On the DC area service shops, HBL has really tried my patience. I've never seen a dealer so bad at scheduling, communicating, and following orders. The old service manager was good, not just a good guy but he actually knew what he was talking about. Mike Milloy is a good guy, but I don't think he should be a service manager. Then there is Evan who I feel for because he's basically all alone there, but he really just can't handle the work load they give him. Cashiers don't pick up the phone to let me pay before pick up, and I've never had anyone respond to a voicemail. I know dealers that are MUCH better (Euromotorcars, MB of Arlington), but sadly they I don't know any good Porsche dealers.

So, it's time to try an independant. I know Autothority and may try them, but I'm going to get a price quote on replacing a clutch from Intersport too since Autothority seemed kinda high for an indy.

BTW, to any MB owners here, if you want an independant MB tech in the area, as far as I'm concerned Mitch Carr's is THE shop.

To BMW owners, it's BMW Excluservice.

Maybe it's unfair for me to compare those MB and BMW places to a Porsche place, but I'm going to try and find something comparable anyways.
Try ASG...
Old 06-02-2007, 11:08 AM
screameleons
Instructor

I'm in Reston and drive a white 996 with black wheels.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:37 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

As long as I'm recommended area stuff, I also want to recommend Tire Van. They've now done the tires on two of our cars (one being the Porsche), and they're great. Their tire prices are very competitive (just a few dollars more than Tirerack if you DON'T count the shipping cost in tirerack's prices) and while their mounting charge isn't the lowest in town, they do a very good job and they come to you or your office and do it there.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:32 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

trinitony,

I have been going to ASG for over 10 years for both air cooled and water cooled 911's.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:46 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Hi, I'm in Herndon VA; work in Reston VA and have a light green 2000 Cab; I've never been in DC with my 996. IMO the streets are too bad so I only take my SUV there. I try not to go to HBL anymore. They are just bad. Intersport does good work but they are pretty pricy - seem to always charge book times, even when clearly less labor needed.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 AM
LJpete
Pro

Rockville, Maryland.

996's are a dime a dozen in our area. Unfortunately, mine bit the big one when a kid hit me on Wisconsin Ave (Bethesda) on my way home from work. I'll be looking for a replacement soon when my back heals and I'll be driving mine to work.

Pete

Quick Reply: DC metro area people