Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DC metro area people

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:34 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm...
I'm fairly new to the area - abt a year now - I live downtown Annapolis. While not exactly DC area, it is close. I frankly have been quite surprised at the few P-cars I see. With the number of tracks in the area, I assumed I would be in good company.
I hardly EVER see Porsches. Maybe I'm out at the wrong times. I do see an occasional Boxster, but they're all silver, so I barely notice them anymore...
I actually have considered getting out of Porsche ownership while here. With the shortage of garages in my area, few cars around... even the the local PCA magazine is only a pamphlet...
I hate the thought of having to go back to the Pentagon to get back in the fold...
Old 06-05-2007, 05:38 PM
ronin996
AutoX

Hi all, I’m new to Rennlist, great site by the way.

Unfortunately, I have to say I have had a very bad experience with Curry’s auto service in Chantilly and would never use them again!
A few years ago I took my new tires to get mounted to my wheels and not only did they scratched the HELL out of my wheels they must have used a metal pray bar to get the tire over the lip of the rim. The worst part... these were magnesium wheels to a Ferrari!! “I guess it serves me right.”
They of course denied anything to do with it. I only took my wheels and tires to them because Matt’s own father who I have had many drinks with at the Vienna Inn sent me.
There are many stories with them... frankly all Matt seems to care about is making money and not helping the customer. Sad, but seems to be the Northern VA attitude.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 PM
JamesN.
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Figured I would chime in. My name is James Nichols and I recently started selling new Porsches for Rockville Porsche Audi. Our new dealership should be done by the end of summer, and hopefully we can host some events this fall. While I still drive a BMW (for now), I am hoping there is a Cayman in my future.

I attended one of the winter Rockville meets and have some video footage that I still need to upload. Look forward to seeing some of you guys at future events.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:48 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to see you on James. Congratulations on the new position. It just so happens that I'm in need of a car as mine was totaled last month by a careless driver. I haven't begun searching yet but have stopped by your dealership a couple of times to look at an 06 997 that they have on the lot. I need to finish physical therapy before and get a settlement check before I can make a purchase to replace my old car.

Next time, I'll stop by and say hi,

Pete
Old 06-07-2007, 02:50 PM
JamesN.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LJpete
Great to see you on James. Congratulations on the new position. It just so happens that I'm in need of a car as mine was totaled last month by a careless driver. I haven't begun searching yet but have stopped by your dealership a couple of times to look at an 06 997 that they have on the lot. I need to finish physical therapy before and get a settlement check before I can make a purchase to replace my old car.

Next time, I'll stop by and say hi,

Pete
Damn Pete - I'm sorry to hear that happened! You had a beautiful 996 but I'm confident we can find something suitable as a replacement. I'm there every day except Thursdays so let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Good luck with your physical therapy and get better soon!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesN.
Figured I would chime in. My name is James Nichols and I recently started selling new Porsches for Rockville Porsche Audi. Our new dealership should be done by the end of summer
New how? Location, management, ... ?

Bill
Old 06-08-2007, 06:42 PM
JamesN.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wrljet

Bill
Sorry for the confusion. "New" as in I am new to the dealership, and also that I am a sales consultant for the new car sales department. We have a separate sales staff dedicated to used vehicles.

We are building our new facility down the street next to Woodmont Country Club, but as previously stated, will not be finished until late Summer.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:07 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Well, I'll be finding out how the service apartment at Autothority is on Tuesday in a true test: my mom will be bringing the car in, so I'll see how much BS gets passed my way as tends to when a shop sees a woman with a high dollar car.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrljet

Bill
I believe it is both, or at least ownership changed if not management in the last year or two. Of course I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I could be wrong.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in Ashburn VA...
Just used TireVan to install a set of Pilot Sport Rib...185 30 on OEM Rims...Great.

Chris

2000 Porsche 996 C2 Cab
Eibach springs.
Short shifter B&M.
Fabspeed Exhaust.
Agency Power Rear Adj. Control Arms
Old 06-09-2007, 12:14 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

To catch up from a few posts about Curry's (Dulles). Be very carefull with them. I used them for several years on my Boxster, and 944 and basic maintenance on a Discovery and Volvo. I spent thousands there over a couple of years. I had a few issues but they seemed to come through. A lot of P-car owners told me to run but I didn't because I felt comfortable with them...big mistake. I just got done spending $4k there. Took the 996 home and shortly after the fan failure light comes on. Take it back, they have it for a couple of days and say needs new water pump. They replace the water pump I get half way home the light comes on again. Take it back and I get a call 2 days later that something poped on the test drive and smoke was pouring out from the tailpipes. I get to the shop and the person test driving the car says " Sorry man, I didn't dog your car but I didn't drive it like a ***** either. WTF. Find out that a freze plug blew. After months of fighting with them they would not budge. I had a warranty that covered about $7K of the damage but would not pay the whole bill because Curry's screwed things up. I paid over $1K lost car for 2 months and they would not help out at all. These guys are great until they mess up, then they don't care if they loose you...I make sure to tell everyone about them. I still had problems even after that with getting them to fix the car right. I will never go back.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:31 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris996
I am in Ashburn VA...
Just used TireVan to install a set of Pilot Sport Rib...185 30 on OEM Rims...Great.

Chris
Are you saying they put the wrong size tire on? I didn't think it was even possibly to put a 185 on an OEM rim.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:29 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Are you saying they put the wrong size tire on? I didn't think it was even possibly to put a 185 on an OEM rim.
He probably meant to type 285 but "fat fingered" the keyboard and hit the 1 instead.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:40 AM
'Hoo
Rennlist Member

A little late to join the thread, but +1 for the D.C. area here. I drive my C2 daily from Fairfax to Reston and often to into D.C. and up to Baltimore. I typically see at least a half dozen p-cars during any given 1/2 hour drive in the area.

I don't think I saw a plug for Autobahn Service Inc (near Fairfax Circle) in any of the posts. I was referred there by another rennlister and Jose has been great! He spent at least 3 1/2 hours on my PPI, charged me for less time and has been very professional and fair in all dealings since. Autobahn has 6 lifts and the shop is always full with Porsche's of all years and models.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:32 PM
ronin996
AutoX

Wow, jsaindc! I’m so sorry to hear about all your trouble with Curry’s! Have you thought about writing to the Better Business Bureau? I did...

I would like to say I have had good luck with Intersport in Tyson’s as others have said. Amor is great, but he is always trying to sell you something...

Quick Reply: DC metro area people