Sponsored by:

Redo Leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:02 PM
2na
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redo Leather seats

My C4S front leather seats are worned. Does anyone have first hand experience with a good shop in So Cal ? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan
Old 04-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i am looking at buying a second set to just store - so i am interested in any comments on the redo option?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:42 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

To recolor a worn seat, or any leather part;
Dissassemble as completely as possible. Try to get the whole part down to just the leather material with nothing else attached to it.
Strip the origional color completely with Acetone. Use plenty of paper towels. Wet them with Acetone and it will disolve the color, then soak it up. Repeat untill you cant get any more of the color off. Let the material dry for a day or two.
Then spray with SEM plastic and vinyl color. (it does work on leather). I always take a leather sample and have it color matched at the paint store. It is mixed full strength by color at auto paint supply stores. It is sprayed by regular paint guns like paint. But I frequently use a small touch up gun. It is sprayed at 25 psi in very thin coats untill covered sufficiently. Very easy. Use blue tack cloth between coats to collect overspray dust. There is a clear coat to put on top but it is not necessary.
Thats about it. I have done several complete leather interiors. And two color changed interiors and it is still as good as new after 5 to 8 yrs. The quality and results will be determined by the efficiency of the prep you do to the material before you spray it. (I have also done a Lazy Boy sofa and two chairs. This is how they "recolor" leather furniture when you call a servicer listed in the yellow pages)
If you go to a upholstery shop and have it done, this is how they will probibly do it. There are a couple of other simular products from Dupont and Formula 40. But SEM is easier to find.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 PM
2na
Instructor

Thanks, but I am hoping to take the car to a person/company and have them put new leather in.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Is "worned" a word?

Just buy new seats.

Man, I'm pissy tonight...
Old 04-07-2006, 01:46 AM
johnnyiv
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
Is "worned" a word?

Just buy new seats.

Man, I'm pissy tonight...

Absolutely not!
Old 04-07-2006, 02:06 AM
2na
Instructor

Thanks for the English lesson guys; I am more interested in getting my leather seat redone. Again, any info regarding
getting the leather redone is really appreciated it.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Daniel@AdvancedMotorsport.com
Advanced

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 2na
My C4S front leather seats are worned. Does anyone have first hand experience with a good shop in So Cal ? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan
Hey Alan,

There is a shop called Stitchcraft located in Westminister which does amazing worth with interiors. It was a toss up between getting new seats for myself or redoing my leather ones.

FYI: The cost to redo them was just as expensive as getting new seats in my case.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:44 PM
2na
Instructor

Thanks Daniel. I will give them a call!
Old 04-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Daniel@AdvancedMotorsport.com
Advanced

Alan,

No worries! If decide to purchase new seats over redoing them, stop by our shop. We can order you GT3's in addition to Recaro's (which we have in our showroom). Since you are local we offer free installations also.

Quick Reply: Redo Leather seats