Sponsored by:

import european car to the USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:13 AM
vandereydt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default import european car to the USA

A good friend of mine used to live in Belgium, he now lives in the US, has a Belgian 996 and wants to import it to the US.
Is it true that US P-dealers will not touch the car, and therefor its not a good proposition to import the car to the US.
How about import taxes and duties?

Appreciate your replies

Ronny
Old 04-03-2006, 08:42 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Based on what I have read on the forums over the years, it only works one way. You can bring a US car to Europe, but bring a European car to the USA is difficult, not impossible. The car needs to be federalized. Depending on the car, the costs can vary a great deal. That said, I seem to remember a $10-15k price tag, including all the forms, inspections, etc... It would have to be a pretty special 996, to justify, IMHO.

Here is a link to a BMW site, that goes into greater detail:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/philcat7/import.html

Another one:
http://www.willz.ca/importeuropetousa.htm

Hope that helps

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/philcat7/import.html
Old 04-03-2006, 09:00 AM
toddel68
Instructor

I'd say he should sell the car in Belgium an get a newer / better Porsche for the same money in the U.S.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:18 AM
vandereydt
Track Day

Yetis
Thanks for the info, I did not realise the US would be that difficult.
But have you heard about the reluctance of Porsche dealers to work on these imported cars?

Thanks
Ronny
Old 04-03-2006, 11:31 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

No, but since its not under warranty, not sure why you would want a Porsche dealer to work on it. Find a local indie, with a speciality in Pcars. As for situations where you need the ECU flashed or adjusted, you might have an issue.... All dealers in the US are different as they are all independent. So while one might say no way, another might do the work. The only way is to ask.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:22 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

You've got 2 options :

- leave it in Belgium (and have your employer compensate you for the loss - I assume this is a corporate move). That's what I always do. Belgian cars are more spendy anyway (I'm Belgian myself). Better to pick up a clean 996 over here. Prices are great.
- import it into the US and keep it on European plates (provided you spend less than 6 months over here during the entire year). Converting cars is a pain. Over here they want the 'DOT' sign on everything. This means you will have to yank your lights, speedometer, etc and try to find new ones on eBay. This adds up. On top of that you've got to deal with official instances, which is always a bad thing in the US. The moment people have a badge on their shoulders in this country they assume they have discretionary power over you.

Finding somebody to work on it is not an issue. The independant (non-Porsche) dealerships are usually better (and cheaper) than the official ones.

Groet,

Yves
Old 04-03-2006, 02:34 PM
care4era
Racer

aren't tarrifs stupid? Just should be a test for a few hundred and you go and get the plates. Free trade should mean we can do what we want without paying damn invisible taxes.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:27 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by vandereydt
A good friend of mine used to live in Belgium, he now lives in the US, has a Belgian 996 and wants to import it to the US.
What model year is the 996? MY2002+ should be easier to import than others, basically change the speedometer, USA headlamps, front side marker lights, tail lamp assemblies, brake light, front & rear side reflect reflectors, etched passenger mirror glass and a seatbelt warning buzzer. If you sourced the parts through a discounting mail-order Porsche dealership like Sunset Imports (cost + 15%) than the conversion won't be that expensive. US Specs was the registered importer on the original NHTSA petition so try contacting them;

US Specs
1301 Loflin Rd.
Building H
Aberdeen, Maryland 21001
(410)273-6464
USSPECS@aol.com
Old 04-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsches are about 30% more expensive in Europe...so leave it there (sell it) and buy a newer version here and you spend probably the same you get out of the sale!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Daniel@AdvancedMotorsport.com
Advanced

Originally Posted by vandereydt
Is it true that US P-dealers will not touch the car, and therefor its not a good proposition to import the car to the US.
How about import taxes and duties?

Appreciate your replies

Ronny
Our shop did the fed. for an RS4 ... it was a very time consuming project and after all was said and done, our customer probably could have bought 2 new RS4's for the price of this one.

But I <3 station wagons...

(the RS4 in our shop)
Old 04-07-2006, 05:06 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by care4era
aren't tarrifs stupid? Just should be a test for a few hundred and you go and get the plates. Free trade should mean we can do what we want without paying damn invisible taxes.
Free trade is only to help the big corporations. As far as you an I are concerned, they feel free to tax us to death on importing/exporting since we aren't powerful enough to matter.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:51 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Daniel@AdvancedMotorsport.com
Our shop did the fed. for an RS4 ... it was a very time consuming project and after all was said and done, our customer probably could have bought 2 new RS4's for the price of this one.

But I <3 station wagons...

(the RS4 in our shop)

Bloody sweet RS4, I will give you my car, my other car, my first born...anything!!!
Wait, you used to me Achtuning right?? This is Ben's car right? From what I remember, that is about what he is asking for it!
Old 04-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Daniel@AdvancedMotorsport.com
Advanced

Cool

Originally Posted by yetis
Bloody sweet RS4, I will give you my car, my other car, my first born...anything!!!
Wait, you used to me Achtuning right?? This is Ben's car right? From what I remember, that is about what he is asking for it!
Hehehe, no, I believe there are 3 RS4's in the United States. Josh owns one (which he sold recently) and this is owned by one of our clientele.

Marc, the CEO and Lead Engineer at AMS did the tuning for both Josh's and this car. We're getting 480+HP from this car.

Quick Reply: import european car to the USA