996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

WTB: PSE or Similar (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006 | 06:12 PM
jeff_c
Instructor

Question WTB: PSE or Similar (I think)

I must be crazy, but after only 2 weeks of having my first P-car, I really want to add a little growl to the exhaust so I am looking to see if anyone locally (Long gIsland, NY) has a PSE or similar exhaust that I can buy on the cheap to try out. I say on the cheap because, if after I put it on, the boss says no go I don't want to be out $1K.

stupid idea?

Jeff
Old 04-04-2006 | 07:02 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Jeff,
The Tubi exhaust I put on my 997 was about 2500.00, the Fabspeed mufflers will run you about 1000.00 new. Try placing an ad in classifieds for a used exhaust system, or get to like the quiet you have now. You don't own a Camaro where you can get a set of Flowmasters installed for $400.00. Any mod on a Porsche is $$$$$
Old 04-04-2006 | 07:23 PM
996 Jammy
Instructor

$1000 will get u new fabs or GHL...lowest i've seen new PSE go for was around $1400...normally much more though.
I just installed the fabs and its got a nice deep growl...louder than stock but not sure compared to PSE...do searches as the exhaust topic has been exhausted...no pun intended!
Old 04-04-2006 | 07:38 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

I really like my PSE. Installed it myself for about $1400.00 including "the switch". If you install the switch you have the best of both worlds and the boss will be happy too.
Old 04-04-2006 | 07:55 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

This may sound stupid, but is it possible I have PSE and don't know it? (I'm not the original owner) Mine is very snarly and raspy above 4000 rpm or so, and everyone describes the stock exhaust as "quiet" so I wondered.
Old 04-04-2006 | 09:40 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gravedgr
This may sound stupid, but is it possible I have PSE and don't know it? (I'm not the original owner) Mine is very snarly and raspy above 4000 rpm or so, and everyone describes the stock exhaust as "quiet" so I wondered.
Gravedgr - it IS possible that the previous owner (PO) installed PSE. To make sure you can look to see if your exhaust cans have the vacuum valve (circled in red) in the first pic. If they have the valve, you have PSE. However, IF you have PSE the PO may not have installed the wiring to turn it ON (loud) or OFF (quiet). If this is the case, then they would be ON (loud) all of the time.

...Or you could have a set of stock cans that have been modified (or hacked) to sound like PSE but has no vacuum valve. The second pic shows two stock exhaust “cans.” The top "can" is normal stock and the bottom can has the PSE "hack."

... Or maybe you just have stock cans and your ears are performing the kind act of "wishful hearing" so your brain thinks the stock “cans” are loud! Sorry, I couldn't help myself on the last one!
Attached Images   
Old 04-04-2006 | 11:12 PM
jeff_c
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
Jeff,
The Tubi exhaust I put on my 997 was about 2500.00, the Fabspeed mufflers will run you about 1000.00 new. Try placing an ad in classifieds for a used exhaust system, or get to like the quiet you have now. You don't own a Camaro where you can get a set of Flowmasters installed for $400.00. Any mod on a Porsche is $$$$$

I don't mind the $$$$ if it's going to work for me. I guess my question is would a 'used' exhaust system as a test be a reasonable course of action (assuming I could find one).

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-05-2006 | 11:08 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tim - I'll take a look. It could be wishful hearing, but I have trouble calling the current exhaust "quiet" - especially at WOT.

Sorry for threadjacking, Jeff.
Old 04-05-2006 | 11:40 AM
jb26jb
Racer

My stock exhaust was whisper quiet except at WOT it actually sounded pretty good above 4k, but no comparison to the fabs which are loud.
Old 04-05-2006 | 11:51 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Ah yes, the exhaust question.
I have experience with PSE (brother's car), Fabspeed, GHL regular and loud.
They all have their pluses and minuses, you really have to hear them, or just pick up a set used and try 'em out. Any aftermarket exhaust will be louder than stock, that is a major factor with a cab, you're just gonna hear it more, esp on an earlier 996 with less sound deadening.
The best sound, bang for the buck, esp in a cab is gonna be GHL regular IMO, call Brian they still have the rennlist discount (699 shipped) going I think.

Quick Reply: WTB: PSE or Similar (I think)