996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine rattle when i turn my car off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Jeremy B
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine rattle when i turn my car off?

I have an 02 taga, there seems to be sometimes, especially when it's been driven alot, a rattle or sounds like the engine will diesel for a second when I shut if off, could it be some bad gas? Also my top and back hatch squeak alittle, is there something to put on the rubber seals to quiet them down? And one more thing, am I reading right on 285 30 18 tires in the rear, the pressure should be at 44lbs, and the front 36 , is that cold pressure in the morning?

thanks so much

Drjeremyb
Old 04-04-2006, 02:21 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Drjeremyb

Don't know about the engine rattle but to cure seal squeaking, you may want to try Wurth Rubber care http://www.carcareonline.com/detail....oduct_id=11303 on the seal and Wurth lubricant http://www.carcareonline.com/detail....oduct_id=11302 on all the metal moving parts that you have access to.

The combination cured my sunroof squeak (I know you're talking about the cab roof) that even the dealer couldn't fix using kryptox grease.

Good luck.

- Ahsai
Old 04-04-2006, 02:27 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

BTW, the cold pressure you quoted sounds right (my C2 has 36 front, 44 rear) and a lot of people play with lower pressure to make the car handle differently. I think you may need to experiment to find the right combo that suits your style of driving.

- Ahsai
Old 04-04-2006, 02:29 AM
snaproll
Instructor

36 and 44 are correct for the tires, cold. I found on my first set of rears that 44 provided a wear pattern that suggested they were overinflated, while 36 was perfect for the fronts...............
Old 04-04-2006, 04:00 AM
delirium
Racer

my car makes a sort of rattle when I turn it off too, but if I hold the clutch pedal down the rattle is less noticable.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:08 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by delirium
my car makes a sort of rattle when I turn it off too, but if I hold the clutch pedal down the rattle is less noticable.
Is it kind of like a little metal cluncking sound for less than a second? My guess is that it could be the crank or clutch spinning down to a stop. FWIW, I notice the same thing.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:55 AM
delirium
Racer

Originally Posted by snaproll
36 and 44 are correct for the tires, cold. I found on my first set of rears that 44 provided a wear pattern that suggested they were overinflated, while 36 was perfect for the fronts...............
ya 44psi in the rear for me too and the rear tires are worn in the middle which suggests over inflation.. weird.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try to hold the clutch pedal in when you shut the engine off, and then release it after the engine is off. If I am understanding your explanation correctly, this is a typical 911 flat six behavior.

If your situation is worst than just a clunk sound then you may have other issues. Which can be related to bad, dripping fuel injectors, ignition eletrical related issues, fuel pressure issues...etc..... but let's hope that's not the issues here.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:18 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Next time you shut down, let the clutch out slightly so it is just barely beginning to engage. What you are testing is for looseness (broken spring) on the duel mass flywheel. If the noise is eliminated or drastically reduced, the flywheel may be causing the noise. You can also try identifying where the noise is coming from by having someone else turn the car off while you stick your head under the car,
Old 04-04-2006, 02:52 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

ya 44psi in the rear for me too and the rear tires are worn in the middle which suggests over inflation.. weird.
I'm guessing they tell you this to try and calm down the oversteer while still having a good and high front pressure. (when you close the gap btwn the two pressures you get more oversteer, or less understeer as the case may be).
Old 04-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Jeremy B
Instructor

THANKS for all the replies, I will try to hold in the clutch and play with it to see if it makes a difference, I'm guessing it may be that , or normal behavior and it doesn't do it all the time. And I changed the pressure to 44 in teh rear and 36 in the front, definately rides alittle stiff, but that's ok it's a sports car, and an un beleivable one at that. Does anyone know , this may be a dumb question but is it bad to used silicone on the seals? to stop the squeaking? also what does everyone use for leather conditioner, I'm embarassed to say I used leather wipes the other day, and they were horrible, I still feel like they left a neasty film on them. thanks

Drjeremyb
Old 04-04-2006, 10:16 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

1 - rubber seals: there is no product better than wurth rubber care, especially the gel stick form. I get mine from www.carcareonline.com. I don't like silicone because it has a way of browning rubber.

2 - I know in the BMW world, Lexol is basically what everybody uses (again, I get it from carcareonline.com, but this one is available from many many sources, Wurth is a little more rare in the US).
Old 06-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I have the same rattle at shut off. If I clutch in comlpetely then shut off, the rattle is much less, if any at all. Is there an easy way to confirm which part or parts are at fault?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Try 32 front and 39 or 40 in the rear... the ride will be "better" and trhe wear will improve
Old 06-10-2008, 01:32 AM
pete13
Intermediate

I have the same rattle noise at shutoff. I also have noticed that pulling out of the garage, with clutch partially engaged, I sometimes get a rattle (not all the time, seems to depend on RPM). Would this be a loose flywheel spring?

As far as leather conditioning goes, if your seats are worn and/or getting harder due to sunlight, etc., leatherique is a product that will restore the suppleness, and they claim it will also maintain the leather's strength and prevent cracks and so forth. It's a bit pricey at around $70 for the restorer and cleaner (it's a 2 part process, "restoring" and "cleaning"). Very good product though, great results.

Quick Reply: Engine rattle when i turn my car off?