Sponsored by:

Sally Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 06:18 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's a great way to introduce Porsches to young kids. Have a sense of humor.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks funny...it is a 993 body with a 996 back and 02+ front (fenders, light and hood) and part of the bumper (no the bottom part!!)...... the money people spend on movies! Poor porsche!!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

From the 997 forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/264664-sally-carrera.html no link was provided for the article, but here is snippit:

Porsche delivered the 1999 Porsche 911 to Paul’s EP Industries facility in El Segundo, Calif. “The car was in perfect condition,” Paul said. “It had only 20,000 miles on it and not a scratch or a dent.”

That was before he and his crew went to work. “We cut the car in half,” he said of splitting the car across the crown of its roof just behind the front seats. “We zigzagged down to the floor, taking the path of least destruction.”

To maintain the proportions of the virtual Sally Carrera created by Pixar Animation Studios, Paul and his crew had to shorten the 911’s wheelbase by seven inches, raise its roof by 3 inches and give it a more upright windshield, and a windshield with eyes at that.

While many animated cars have their eyes in their headlamps, Pixar Animation Studios’ John Lasseter, director of the upcoming “CARS,” along with his team of Pixar artists, decided that to turn cars into movie actors with expressive faces, they needed to have their eyes in the windshield, with mouths in their bumpers.

Because virtual Sally Carrera is a 2002 model Porsche, Paul and his crew updated sheetmetal Sally with new front fenders, bumpers, headlights, tail lights and other 2002 model year parts. Keeping the car’s proportions meant keeping the door intact, but moving the rear jam back 3 inches. The rocker panels were extended an inch closer to the ground and all windows were custom made from Plexiglas. Eyelids were built into the windshield and Paul fabricated curved eyeballs and a system that uses magnets so the eyeballs turn. Side windows were covered with what Paul describes as the first application of “candy apple black” tinting. The windshield also is wrapped with a one-way, see-thru plastic like that used in wrapping buses in advertising. Sally’s front bumper includes a mouth with teeth.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:36 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
They only changed out the front bumper, tinted the windows, and painted the eyes on the windshield.
I cant believe you didnt notice how out of skew the proportions on that body were. I didn't even see the eyes before I noticed how weird the car looked with that ridiculously high windshield and short "stubby" look to the car!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
I cant believe you didnt notice how out of skew the proportions on that body were. I didn't even see the eyes before I noticed how weird the car looked with that ridiculously high windshield and short "stubby" look to the car!
I was mesmerized by her beautiful eyes!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:06 PM
toddel68
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
Porsche delivered the 1999 Porsche 911 to Paul’s EP Industries facility in El Segundo, Calif. “The car was in perfect condition,” Paul said. “It had only 20,000 miles on it and not a scratch or a dent.”
AAARGH!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

you and me both Riad, I just felt her forehead was to big.....and her butt a little too plumb!
Old 04-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Here are some more pictures. I have to applaud Pixar as they did their homework as to what a Porsche means to the average male age 6-60, which is their target audience:

"Sally Carrera is female, smart, a professional, independent, laid-back, athletic and has a naughty & wild streak. Plus she can drive all night long."

I don't know about you, but that is the kind of women I like.

As for the Porsche being typecast as a female, don't we all think of our Porsches as female surrogates for us to have our way with?

Quick Reply: Sally Carrera