996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 04:21 PM
rval_1999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moonbaker- The guy is not my "friend" but I do know him. As a criminal defense attorney I have become keen at detecting lies and one thing I do know is that the truth as always somewhere in the middle of the two stories. Not because someone is neccesarily lying, but because everyone perceives things differently. Three points that "my guy" made:

1. The seller originally thought the car was a C4, as that is how it is badged. You pulled the carfax and realized it was a C2 before you came to Baltimore....so Dave says.

2. Note that "passing inspection" is different than the Porsche "pre-purchase inspection". A PPI looks for every possible "issue" with the car....ie- brakes are "half worn". A State Inspection concerns the "roadworthiness" of the vehicle (ie-is it safe to drive on the road). Obviously there is a huge gap between the two.

3. Leaving you stranded was wrong, but no used car dealer is going to put NEW tires, brakes, shocks, etc. on a car without charging you a premium. Appearently you wanted all of that, plus a discount on the price......

Finally, be happy you didn't get the car.....it's probably a POS. Anyone that would put those ugly rims and rebadge the thing incorrerctly does not know how to properly drive/care for the car. It's probably ragged out IMHO.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Sorry, but how did the dealer buy the car and not know it was a C2?
Old 03-31-2006, 05:20 PM
monabaker
Pro

The carfax states Carrera 2 / Carrera 4 911 Coupe. I'll e-mail it to you, and you can set it on fire, and jam it in your mouth.

He never told me, they posted as a C4 on their website for christ sake.

DAVE LIED, the sales manager lied, the salesman lied, their website lied.......stop making claims, you weren't there.

I would have known but I wasn't allowed to drive the car......Especially since it had been badged a C4.

Shut up.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:24 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rval_1999
3. Leaving you stranded was wrong, but no used car dealer is going to put NEW tires, brakes, shocks, etc. on a car without charging you a premium. Appearently you wanted all of that, plus a discount on the price......
Dude, then you tell him that you aren't selling him the car and you stand by your company. You don't leave a customer stranded because things didn't work out in your best interest. If I was monabaker, I'd go nuts.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:30 PM
monabaker
Pro

I'm sick of even talking about this now. I have filed every complaint imaginable already.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

This is probably a good time for a closed thread. monabaker, if you so desire, go to the link at the top "thread tools" and select close thread if you want the pain to end.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:16 PM
searching4996
Racer

Originally Posted by rval_1999
Moonbaker- The guy is not my "friend" but I do know him. As a criminal defense attorney I have become keen at detecting lies and one thing I do know is that the truth as always somewhere in the middle of the two stories. Not because someone is neccesarily lying, but because everyone perceives things differently. Three points that "my guy" made:

1. The seller originally thought the car was a C4, as that is how it is badged. You pulled the carfax and realized it was a C2 before you came to Baltimore....so Dave says.

2. Note that "passing inspection" is different than the Porsche "pre-purchase inspection". A PPI looks for every possible "issue" with the car....ie- brakes are "half worn". A State Inspection concerns the "roadworthiness" of the vehicle (ie-is it safe to drive on the road). Obviously there is a huge gap between the two.

Finally, be happy you didn't get the car.....it's probably a POS. Anyone that would put those ugly rims and rebadge the thing incorrerctly does not know how to properly drive/care for the car. It's probably ragged out IMHO.

Ok, point number one. If monbaker pulled the carfax and discovered it was a c2, SURELY the dealer who purchased the car did the same thing when he bought it?? If he did, and then still listed it for sale as a c4, he commited fraud.

Point number 3, leaving him stranded when he knew the guy flew in from out of state is SO wrong that the word wrong doesn't do it justice. let's try inexscusable with a couple of expletives thrown in beforehand as adjectives!

Based on this, even if some of what he's saying is true ( which I doubt), as a defense lawyer you must realize that he has lost all credibility with the audience. Mon, I hope the attorney general makes his life miserable and he gets his liscense suspended, people like this don't belong in business.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Default Good for you

Originally Posted by monabaker
Who called, what did they say?

I called the Maryland Attorney General & the local Fox News affiliate.
Write the letter and do the deal.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

The last Carfax I ran on a 996 came up showing C2/C4. It appears tht Carfax can't sort the model out. However, one would certainly hope a dealer would know.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:54 AM
monabaker
Pro

That's why I had no idea.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:32 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Carfax is far from perfect and does not differentiate models very well. My car comes up as Carrera 2/ Carrera 4s; so you really don't know until you see the car. Monabaker, what that dealer did was unexcusable on so many levels. Hopefully you will receive some compensation/satisfaction and they will lose significantly more business from this than they could earned if they had treated you fairly.
good luck!
Old 04-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Just so it's clear. This is about "Auto Showcase Motorcars, in Baltimore Maryland. They are located at 4010 West Northern Parkway, Baltimore, MD. 21215."

Adding my name to the chorus. BUYER BEWARE. STAY AWAY!!!
Old 04-01-2006, 03:37 PM
monabaker
Pro

Originally Posted by Palting
Just so it's clear. This is about "Auto Showcase Motorcars, in Baltimore Maryland. They are located at 4010 West Northern Parkway, Baltimore, MD. 21215."

Adding my name to the chorus. BUYER BEWARE. STAY AWAY!!!

Yes, that is correct!!! Thankyou!
Old 04-01-2006, 03:57 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Just curious, but had he fixed the rms and the other leaks, what would you have paid for the car?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:08 PM
care4era
Racer

man, just put it down to experience and save yourself the ulcer. You sound like a cheap *** getting getting the guy to pay for your flight back if you did not buy it anyway. The guy was nuts to agree to that, so he is a bit of a *** end, but I sort of can see why he disappered when you were not going to buy it

Quick Reply: DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!