996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:40 PM
monabaker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its funny how everyone is bashing the interior. I thought it was pretty ugly, but it would have worked for the money had the car been whole..........After seeing it in person, it wasn't as terrible as I thought. Still ugly yes, but not as ugly as the whole dealerships morals.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Chart505
Advanced

most cars at auction are cars off leases....
... or trades. If you trade a hi line car at a dealer that does not deal in that
market, they will send it to auction. Auctions are very efficient ways for dealers to monetize trades, does not mean at all a car is a dog. Now, if a P car dealer sends a P car to auction, diff story.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:10 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I just went through this with a motorcycle recently (2004 Ducati 998 Matrix). Same sort of scenario. The dealer made all sorts of promises. Drove 12 hours to pick it up. Got there and they had it all pulled apart because it wasn't even running. That was just one of the many problems with it (list is too long, but the dealer flat out lied about the bike).

I ended up walking on the deal. Put my tail between my legs and drove the 12 hours home. It stung every time I had to put $50 worth of fuel in the truck.

To make a long story short, the whole thing finally hit me when I got home. And I was pissed! After 8 million arguments on the phone, I eventually got a personal check from the salesman to compensate me for my gas. Good thing I saved the receipts.

On a seperate note:

Hi. Mr. Blessing. Saw you in this thread. Heard you banned someone else from Speed Brigade. Guess there's two of us that are locked out now.... Who's next on your hit list? Careful with the bans, you don't have that many members. It won't be much fun with just you and Britt talking about cameras and floor mats
Old 03-31-2006, 04:39 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoever it was that suggested going to the Attorney General's Office may be correct. In California they have the Consumer Law Section which is set up to take consumer fraud complaints. Your should be prepared to furnish them with as much evidence as possible in the way of back and forth emails, faxes, or anything written you can dig up. I would also write a SHORT but very concise summary of what happened...I say SHORT because long winded multi-paged ramblings will turn off someone who's reviewing the case for the first time. Call them first and try to get to a Deputy Attorney General from Consumer Law. They may require you to provide something in writing first...which takes you back to your well written summary supported by any written evidence you have. You might also send a cc of the summary to the DMV. They also have investigators. Hopefully one of the two agencies will take an interest in your case. Good Luck. Chuck
Old 03-31-2006, 11:09 AM
rval_1999
Instructor

I spoke with the owner yesterday and checked out the vehicle in question. The story I am getting, keep in mind I know this guy, is that the OP was well aware that this car was a C2 before he flew in from Boston, even though it's badged as a C4. The car is a BASE-BASE-BASE MY 1999 with 55k miles. The previous owner added the body kit, painted the brake calipers, added chrome wheels, and did other aesthetic things to the car. For a 1999 Black car I thought it looked pretty nice.

It does have an RMS issue but it seems thats about it, other than wear & tear items. The story I got was that the O.P. had been calling every day for two weeks about this car......and the dealer put alot of time/energy into the deal. According to the story, when the OP was not satisfied with the result of the PPI he "demanded" $7k off the agreed upon price. Dealer was willing to deduct price of RMS repair, even $2,000 to do the deal. Again, according to what I am told, this was not acceptable to OP who demanded that he be reimbursed his $500.00 deposit (which was paid by credit card) in cash.

I understand the frustration of being out of town and having your "hands tied" in a situation like this, but if you add fuel to the fire it makes matters worse. To the OP, sorry that you had a bad experience but a "used" car will never be perfect, especially at "city" dealerships. My $0.02
Old 03-31-2006, 11:27 AM
monabaker
Pro

That's not even close to how it happened. Sorry, but your friend lied to you, and I have about 6 witnesses from Len Stoler Porsche that will agree with me one this one.

I never asked him to take off any amount off of the car. I said that if I was to buy it, he would need to fix these issues, and then we would need to renegotiate the price of a C2, because never once, did he say it was a C4, nor did the salesman, or sales manager.

Also, why lie on his website and claim it as a C4? Why tell me on the phone it was a C4? Why make me a verbal promise of a perfect PPI and offer me the money to pay for my plane ticket home if it did not pass? Why has my deposit not been refunded yet? Why did his lackies abandon me at Len Stoler Porsche? THEY FLAT OUT TOOK THE CAR AND LEFT WITHOUT EVEN TELLING ME!!!!!! Why did the sales manager Mike tell the Porsche Tech "Make sure this car passes." Afterwards, why did Mike say to me, "How much do you want to pay for it now then?"

He never offered to take $2000 off the price, and even if he did, that wouldn't have been enough. He asked me for my credit card number so that he could refund my deposit, but there is just no way in hell I can give that info to a guy as untrusthworthy as this. I told him that he could write me a check, give me the cash, or lookup my info from when I made the original deposit with my credit card and then refund it. He did none of those, and hung up on me.

When I asked Dave where the salesmanager and salesman went, his responce was "uh.....I don't know. Do you want the car or not?"

Because Dave, and all of his little minions at that dealership are liars, and he, is a cheat, and a scam. He's in it to make a fast buck off of stupid people. He doesen't deserve to have a licence to sell cars, and I have already filed a complaint with the RMV in Maryland, and the Attorney General's office and alerted the local TV news stations, newspapers, and the local police department, which I spoke with in person that day at Len Stoler.

Dave is a complete *******, who actually yelled at me on the phone, and then hung up on me. At no time did I ever swear, was I disrespectful, or did I even raise my voice to him. How is this man even in business when he treats his potential coustmers like this? I literally had the money in hand to buy the car, and this is how I was treated....

Lied to numerous times and abandoned 450 miles away from home. With my deposit stolen. Oh yeh, after paying $225 for a PPI, and $500 for plane tickets.

Oh, and by the way, I have the printout from the PPI from Len Stoler with a whole slew of stuff that's wrong with this car. Not to mention their receptionist, senior tech, and service manager, all were witnesses to this whole dealing.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:14 PM
porch
Advanced

Originally Posted by rval_1999
the OP was well aware that this car was a C2 before he flew in from Boston, even though it's badged as a C4.
The fact that these guys still list the car as a C4 on their website when they admit that it is a C2 is enough to discount anything these guys might claim to have happened with this deal.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:17 PM
monabaker
Pro

Originally Posted by porch
The fact that these guys still list the car as a C4 on their website when they admit that it is a C2 is enough to discount anything these guys might claim to have happened with this deal.
THANKYOU!!! And if that wasn't enough, I provided about 25 other reasons. I can't believe anyone would even attempt to try and defend them at this point. They were so in the wrong I am at a loss for words.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by monabaker
......At which point, I wanted to make sure the guys at Len Stoler were paid for their time, they were very nice, and helpful. I went to the cashier to pay for the inspection, and when I returned, they were gone! Not like, in the next room, but took the Porsche, took the other car, and flat out left!
All things aside.....regardless of who is telling the "correct" version of the story. The part that just gets me is that they LEFT YOU STRANDED!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Hey, moonbaker, I would have gone back to that dealership and gone medieval on someone! You are surely a more restrained person than I. Left you at the dealership, that is classic! It's making me mad just thinking about it happening to you!

To avoid this happening to anyone else, save yourself the airfair, I'd be more than happy to take a look at any car (P-car or not) for a fellow rennlister if it's local to me (south SF Bay Area). I'm not a car expert but I have a decent digital camera and I'm thorough. I've done it once before and it was fun! :-)
Old 03-31-2006, 12:53 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
All things aside.....regardless of who is telling the "correct" version of the story. The part that just gets me is that they LEFT YOU STRANDED!!!!!!!
No kidding. I would have taken a cab back to the dealership and "worked things out" until the issue was resolved or I was removed from the property.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Bunch of a**holes living up to the stigma of sleazy used car salesmen. I still can't believe the scam they attempted to pull and their subsequent attitude. That just blows my mind.

Monabaker, my brother's '99 C2 is still for sale. It isn't equipped with an aerokit, but it's not re-badged as a C4, nor has it been wrecked before, and he certainly wouldn't leave you stranded anywhere. I've sent you the pics prior, so let me know.

Good luck in your continued search.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:45 PM
monabaker
Pro

Well, believe me, I thought about going back to the dealer with the police, or just in a cab. But, that could have ended in a not so pleasant situation....

For example....I go back there, And say perhaps, the conversation turns to a not so nice tone, or yelling, or whatever, insulting.....He could easily call the police, and say, "hey, this guy is harassing me, get him off of my lot."

At which point it would be a game of he said/she said, with the police.

I just wasn't looking for the negitivity.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:46 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Monabaker, you have the right attitude and it's awfully disappointing that this experience happened to you. Call your credit card company and dispute the charge. Even if you have gotten a statement, they can process it retroactively for you. As for your next car, don't let one scumbag salesman ruin your experience. Just be patient and the right car will 'find' you.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:54 PM
zman53
Advanced

Default Good Highline deal experience.

This forum is a great resource. I'm am a newbie Porsche owner, having just purchase a 2001 C2 Cab in mint condition, with 13,133 miles on it. I paid full retail at $51,800, but the car was virtually new, or so it seemed.

The dealer suspected that there were some issues with the alternator, so I told him that I would expect no deficiencies at that price. We took it to Bert Smith Porsche, in St. Pete, FL, for a PPI. What a waste! They said it was a battery problem, so the dealer paid for a new battery. Later that week, I noticed that when I was in the slightest bit of traffic, the voltmeter would hover around 11 volts. The check engine light also went on. I took it back to Bert Smith, and they said the fault code was for a fuel system charcoal cannister issue, but the alternator was fine.

Last week, after a fine meal, I turned on the ignition, and nothing! This was a Sunday night, and I was livid! I called Joe Kase, owner of Genuine Motor Cars in St Pete, where I got the car from, and went ballisitic. He told me to calm down, and that none of this would cost me a penny. True to his word, he led me to a great mechanic from Germany with his own shop, got me a new alternator, a new charcoal cannister, fixed a few other minor things, and the car is running like new!

Joe had no legal obligation to me, and I appreciate the presence of an ethical used car dealer, who wants his customers to be happy.

Quick Reply: DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!