Sponsored by:

DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:35 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monabaker
Actually, CARFAX was 100% clean. It just showed that it had been through several owners (4) and to auction twice.

Huh? How is that clean. Yes, it does not register any major accidents. However, I would say that a car like this, hitting the auction circuit twice, is anything but clean. Remember, Carfax is not an end all, be all solution. Thank god you had a PPI!

Further, the point is that the VIN# on the carfax says its a C4. So, if you checked the VIN# when you first arrived or asked for a photo of the vin, you would have know something was up. I assume you gave the vin# to the insurance agent, and apparently the vin# was wrong. Had you tried to insure the car, the insurance agent would have issues after it failed its insurance inspection given the incorrect vin#.

In the end, dealers like this prey on you. It would appear that you have 996C4Aerokititus. How many warning signs does one have to give before you move on.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Default I agree complain to the attorney general

Originally Posted by JTSPO
Forget about the DMV, call the attorney general's office. they love this type of prosecution in a election year. Go for it. they totaly screw you over. did you ask for a carfax?
I agree complain to the attorney generals at least you can get there dealership on there radar. Good Luck
Old 03-30-2006, 01:02 PM
monabaker
Pro

Yeh, I called the Attorney General and they said to write a letter, and they would get me my money back for the deposit and the flights, plus, look into their licence being pulled. I also called the local Fox News channel and told them all about it....They seem interested in doing something too.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:20 PM
mikey175
Racer

mona --

What a terrible experience, sorry that happened to you. Two points to add to the ones above...

1. You ended up saving money. Some of us can get so amped up to buy a specific car that we do things we wouldn't do if we were thinking logically (I won't touch on how this applies to women). Be glad you didn't buy the car without going there, and learning all of this once it got unloaded at your front door. Then, you would have been out way more than the price of the plane ticket, PPI and desposit.

2. Re-consider this purchase. If you cannot comfortably afford to buy the 996 you want in superior condition, you should postpone this purchase or set your sights on something lower priced (perhaps a solid 996, then do the Aero mods when you are able). Anyone here can tell you that these cars, as reliable as they are vs. other sports cars, are no bargain to maintain.

Just my $0.02. Wish you well..

-- M
Old 03-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Cydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's their phone number? Do they have an 800 number?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:54 PM
monabaker
Pro

Yeh....

Call Toll Free
1-877-353-9783

Why? What are you going to do?
Old 03-30-2006, 04:08 PM
rval_1999
Instructor

I know the owner of the place...he's generally pretty nice guy but that is f'd up what he did. BTW, all car dealerships in the city of Baltimore sell **** cars. To the O.P. I asked you previously about the name of the car dealer.....you never told me. All used car salesman are pieces of garbage.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Cydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be an expensive mistake for them if Rennlisters decide to call the 877 number and let them know that what they did to you was BS.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:52 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cydog
It could be an expensive mistake for them if Rennlisters decide to call the 877 number and let them know that what they did to you was BS.
just called.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:13 PM
gabbagabbahey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cydog
Well.. as lame as the dealer is, I don't think calling the number is going to help the poster resolve this. No doubt you should get your deposit back. Best of luck with the airfare though.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

undertheradar wrote:
undliars, cheats, thieves.

Last week I looked at this 2002 911 in Atlanta

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...g=en&cardist=13

The owner of AGN (who will tell you several times that he is a doctor and went to MIT). Told me the car was perfect, that he only bought perfect cars, it had never been in an accident and had only one owner.

As it turns out, the car needs brakes, the clutch is high, and pulsating, and the engine is idling very rough. And, the car has had 2 owners.

I told the owner of AGN that I would buy the car for asking price if it passed a PPI, and he would offer a full refund if the car had ever been in any serious frame bending accidents.

For about ½ hour, he stated he would put those two things in writing…when it came time to buy he said;

1) He would not let the car leave to get a PPI because “driving the car to and from Jim Ellis would put to many miles on the car.
2) He would not sign anything about accidents because if the door was dented, he didn’t want the car back.

Jim Ellis is about 3 or 5 miles from AGN…and for the record, “Doctor” I grew up in Boston…when I asked how you liked living at MIT in Quincy on the banks of the Merrimack River….well, you should have know it was really the “Charles River”, and MIT is in Cambridge.
I called AGN and got the same run around how he only buys perfect cars, his doctorate degree and all his qualifications. The 2002 sounded decent and when I asked if he would pick me up at the airport he flat said NO!. He told me this was his hobby and he didn't have time to play games. What a jerk! I wouldn't buy a car from him on a bet.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:31 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lack of cooperation in getting PPI is the first sign of smelly issue.

Airbag and repaint is the second sign to walk away.

Sometimes listening to your dad is best. Should have just walked away and not deal with these guys. You probly would have saved your time to have had PPI done before flying down. You just can't trust anyone. At least the Porsche dealer was honest and didn't mess with you.

GL in getting the money back. It's good to file complaints but move out to another 996. There are plenty of nice ones out there.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:40 PM
monabaker
Pro

Who called, what did they say?

I called the Maryland Attorney General & the local Fox News affiliate.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:54 PM
searching4996
Racer

Originally Posted by rval_1999
I know the owner of the place...he's generally pretty nice guy but that is f'd up what he did. BTW, all car dealerships in the city of Baltimore sell **** cars. To the O.P. I asked you previously about the name of the car dealer.....you never told me. All used car salesman are pieces of garbage.

I won't go so far as to say all used car guys are garbage, but the ones who sell in the inner cities tend to have awful cars. They're hoping to catch someone's eye in town on a "deal" on a car they bought at an auction cheap.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:06 PM
searching4996
Racer

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I am sure there is an attorney on board who would love to send these people a love letter discussing DTPA - Deceptive Trade Practices Act and the consequences of such actions. That said - dude they did you a HUGE favor on this. Those wheels and that interior are just 10 kinds of wrong. I hate that you got screwed too btw. It shouldn't be that hard to get your deposit back especially if you used an AMEX for it.

That interior does look like Santa's workshop By the way I've written and phoned them to tell them what a huge mistake they've made, and how no one here will ever buy a car from them ( not that they we're ever getting our business anyway). You can definately do better than that car, barf colored seats would be an improvement.

Quick Reply: DANGER!!!! MASSIVE BUYER BEWARE!!!