Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

911 cabrio vs Boxster - seriously - more than just price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 03:27 PM
greg1234
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 911 cabrio vs Boxster - seriously - more than just price?

I suppose I'm opening myself up for abuse here but let's try and avoid that if possible.

Is there any reason one would buy a Boxster S over a 996 cabrio? I mean in terms of handling etc?

I *know* most people's gut reaction will be a mixture of "The Boxster isn't a real Porsche" and "if you've got the money, it's a no-brainer, go for the 996 cabrio" but I don't think it's that simple. having test driven a 996 cabrio, I wasn't that impressed - it's a competent car, yes, and the handling seems pretty good - but it's certainly not stunning. The gear lever and clutch also felt a bit rubbery for my taste.

I haven't driven a Boxster S yet, but is it possible that it handles better, being mid-engined, lighter, lower COG etc etc? Or might it just be more fun?

Presumably there are performance upgrades for the Boxster S that would give it more punch, if that's why people go for the 996 instead...

So if rear seats aren't needed, and it isn't going to be a daily driver, and money isn't an issue, is it possible that a Boxster S would be a better choice than the 996?
Old 03-19-2002, 03:38 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

If back seats are not an issue, I think that a Boxster S is a better deal... I even considered that for a while myself. I have a 2 year old that loves his dad's yellow car and therefore it wasn't an option for us....
JM
Old 03-19-2002, 04:16 PM
Jim Sloves
Racer

I have a '98 Boxster with 62k mi and have driven my partner's '01 Boxster S. It's a great car...both are great cars. The handling is great as it's mid engined. If you're questioning the 996 vs 986 S, then simply get the Boxster S and save yourself a lot of dinero.

Additionally, the Boxster has two trunks and the engine is right behind your head and sounds terrific.

I desire a 996 because I don't want a cabrio any more and I could occasionally use the two mini rear seats. And the extra power is nice too. It will be hard to let my Boxster go: it is my first really nice car and even to this day, I think it's gorgeous.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:53 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
My .02 cents worth, coming from a coupe owner. If I had to choose a cabrio, between a Boxster S and 996 Cab, I'd choose the Boxster S. Despite the price, I think it is a prettier/sexier convertible, excellent performer, younger appeal. I think it is a personal choice, and one shouldn't get the 996 just because one can, or prove one can, afford it. Late last year, when I was looking for "my" Porsche, I was already heavily leaning towards the Boxster S. But, I just simply fell in love with the C4S, and now she's mine. If I could, I would rather have the Boxster S as a mistress rather than the 996 Cab.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:38 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg,

Which 996 did you test?

The new 02 looks much better than the prev 996s (obviously no offence to other 996 owners).

Im sure that it must have been upgraded in many other ways too?
Old 03-20-2002, 05:43 PM
greg1234
Racer

I tested a 2001 car, but I was told that the 2002 models have the same interior.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:20 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

I tested the boxster s last summer and a 911 puts a smile on my face that the boxster just couldnt. BUT I have to admit that I didnt really give the boxster a good workout.

Maybe you could give the 2002 a try and see how you feel.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:23 AM
Ocean Blue Cabrio
8th Gear

Greg,

If money really isn't an issue, wait for the Carrera GT :-). Seriously, I put a lot of time in to my decision and went with the 911 Cabrio. As others have already said, it's a personal thing.

I definitely like the looks and cargo space of the Boxster S. It handles and sound great. I tested a 2002 with 18" wheels.

For me, however, I like the looks of the 911 better and, quite simply, it's more car. Whether it's worth the additional money is a question that I'll leave for you to answer for yourself. I was able to get a 1999 911 Cabrio with very low miles for less than the Boxster S was going to cost me "out-the-door."

In addition to the juiced up HP (320 vs. my '99's 300), the 2002 911 Cabriolets come with a glass window. I know it adds some weight, but I say it's about time. I want to be able to see the dropped jaws as I fly passed them.
Old 03-23-2002, 06:39 AM
greg1234
Racer

Why don't I wait for the Carrera GT?
1. I'm not good at waiting
2. It won't fit in my garage
3. It might just be a teeny weeny bit outside my budget

Thanks for all the opinions so far, everyone. I guess another factor will be my 965 Turbo. If I keep it as well, then the Boxster S is the only way to go. If I decide to sell the 965 then I'd have enough money for an older 996 cabrio, and then it would make more sense to go for a more complete car - ie the 996 cabrio...

I was just really unimpressed with the one I test drove. Maybe I should try test driving another 996 cabrio.. although I still doubt it will give quite the same sort of experience as the Boxster S..
Old 03-23-2002, 08:21 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg,

Still think u should test a 2002 cab.
Go on. Do it today.
Go on. Go on. Go on. (sorry UK joke)

If youre not happy with that one then boxster s is way to go.

Unless you were to add a few mods on the 996 cab.
Stick on a sports exhaust, sports suspension, and aerokit. I dont think much can be done about the pedals.
But then whats the point, if you dont enjoy it initially, anyway.

If you werent happy with the looks, then Im sorry to say that I think the boxsters dont look any better. (eye of the beholder and all that)

Regards.
Old 03-23-2002, 10:21 AM
greg1234
Racer

Hi Bins.

I was disappointed with the interior.. outside looks OK (but the C4S looks MUCH better!) but the driving experience wasn't fantastic. It just felt like a very competent, capable car... easy to drive fast.. I was hoping the 996 cabrio would blow me away, since on paper you could argue it's the ultimate car, but it didn't.

I know the Boxster is similar in some of these respects, but it does feel sportier and nimbler somehow. I felt a lot more in touch with the road in the Boxster.

At least if I get a Boxster and somehow manage to keep the 965 Turbo as well, I'll have every base covered. In terms of [raw] performance, noise and looks the 965 Turbo (with sports exhaust) is, I suspect, going to be impossible to beat.
Old 03-23-2002, 02:10 PM
Graham
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my 996 cab was in for some warranty work I had a Boxster for a couple of days as a courtesy car. I was actually very impressed with the 'fun' package that these deliver. I could very easily have settled for one of these instead of the 996.

I personally prefer the extra power and performance that I now have with the 996, but I don't think that it's necessarily worth the extra over a Boxster if all you want is a fun run around sports car. I loved the induction roar at 4k in the Boxster too!

I do think that the 996 looks better though.
Old 03-23-2002, 02:31 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like boxster s is the way to go then.

On the other hand (Im a thinkin Im gonna get slaughtered for this), you might want to consdider the new MB SL500. (Looks stunning)

Regards.
Old 03-23-2002, 06:54 PM
Scott & Renee in VA
Racer

That is, if you want a 4,045 lb car...
Old 03-23-2002, 07:09 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Bins:
<strong>Sounds like boxster s is the way to go then.

On the other hand (Im a thinkin Im gonna get slaughtered for this), you might want to consdider the new MB SL500. (Looks stunning)

Regards. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Those only come in automatic. I won't touch a toy in automatic.

Quick Reply: 911 cabrio vs Boxster - seriously - more than just price?