RMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMS

Hi All,

Looking for a late model 996, and kind of have my eye on the 40th Aniversary model.
A local Porsche speciality shop said that the RMS is a pretty easy fix now, around $600.00 and utilizes a Cayenne seal kit.
Is this for real? I thought the fix was still pretty pricey and more or less a motor exchange to really fix the issue.

Also, reading Joel's PCA website on 996's, pretty well states if you don't get a warranty with the 996, you better be prepared to spend big bucks to fix the issues.

Appreciate any opinions

Thanks
Rob
Old 03-25-2006, 02:34 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Rob,

RMS is an issue with the 996 and I hear 997’s however, this should not deter you from purchasing. I have a 2001 with 57K miles and as of yet have had any issues. If you are interested in the 996 I highly recommend a PPI.

Good Luck
Old 03-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

The RMS seal has always been any easy under 4 hour replacement job. The issue in the past has been that the replacement seals were prone to leak. The newest Cayenne derived seal seems to be the most reliable so far.

RMS leaks can happen on just about any engine. I would not let it deter you from purchasing a car that you are interested in.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:58 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we need an icon for " Can of Worms"

Its just a seal if it goes you replace it. The newest seal is working , I have had it in mine for over a year no leaks. If you like the car, dont let a little thing like a RMS stop you from buying it.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:59 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as big bucks to fix issues goes....Porsches are like any other German car. When something does go wrong you can pretty much count on a minimum of $500 to fix it because (1) the parts are expensive and (2) the labor is usually expensive (this is no different than owning a BMW, Audi, VW, MB, etc.). You can save significant $$$ on many things if you are are DIY type of guy. That being said, IMO Porsches are pretty darn reliable especially considering the level of performance they offer. If you are new to Porsche you will find the big expense to be tires (which no warranty covers). If you drive the car much (and is there any other reason for owning one?) be prepared to replace the rear tires at least once a year (at $600+ a pop) and the fronts every other year. They just eat tires and it is not just aggressive driving that does it. In fact due to the settings highway driving puts a hurting on the rears. I see you live in Canada, so snow tires will also be a consideration, however, they do not wear nearly as fast as the summer only tires in my experience.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:22 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The price quote I've always heard was around $800 to fix the RMS. It's never been an expensive item. Many live with the leak until the clutch need replacing and get it all done at once. Also, from what I can tell it only happens to about 25% of the cars (no real evidence here) and It seems more likely on garage queens (with less use). I see 993 in your signature so I assume you may have or have owned a 993. Compared to the CEL SAI issue that I have read about on the 993 board, it seems like a cheap rare issue. Other than that, the 996's seem to be rock solid. Obviously, a CPO warranty is suggested.

Mark
Old 03-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Mark,

Yes, I had a 95 993 that was a great car. No issue with the CEL even though it had the OBI sensor, but I assume that was due to lower ambient temperatures up north. The RMS issue was mostly what stopped me from moving up to the 996, however that seems to be a relatively easy fix.
I will make sure to do a very good PPI, and if possible grab a Porsche certified warranty (wonder though that the difference in price from a dealer compared to a private sale will more than offset the certifed warranty.

Thank you
Rob
Old 03-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

CPO adds about $1500 to the purchase price. Whether it's worth it is more about peace of mind than it is about needing it.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:05 AM
4sound
Advanced

The newer RMS for the 996 is different from the Cayenne RMS. I have had people tell me they read on the internet that the Cayenne seal is the hot tip to use, but its not. Porsche put out a notice sometime ago saying not to use the Cayenne RMS on the 996.
If you have the old style RMS and its not leaking, leave it alone. There are a decent amount of 996's that never had a RMS problem. Of course if you replace the clutch, you should change it and the IMS, and also the bolts on the rear of the case.
As for all the talk regarding 996 engine replacements, I want to throw in my 2 cents. It seems so many people are ragging on the issue of 996 engine replacement costs. Avg cost with a factory reman engine and labor is about $12,000 - $13,000, maybe a little less or more depending on why its being replaced. Rebuilding a 993 engine with all new valve guides, new piston and cyl set, lifters and figure other parts would be over this amount. Yet so many are warning people about the 996. I agree the issue of engine replacemant is something buyers and present owners should be aware of, but many of these same people are suggesting its better to buy a 993 with higher miles over the 996. So many shops recommend buying the higher mile 993 over a 996, which has added to the "Rap" the 996 has. Bottom line of course is they are both good cars. It's more of a personal choice of what car is best for you. Please also consider there is more profit for a shop in rebuilding a 993 engine than there is in replacing a 996 engine with a factory reman engine.

Quick Reply: RMS