996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

SMART TOP...NOT SO SMART!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 05:31 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mailed the module back today....they responded right away to my email....and I expect no problems...nothing is fail safe.... I have a G5 quad core top off the line Powermac...after 4 days smoke came out of the machine!! got a new one....and after 5 days the machine began to crash....so I got another one..... knock on wood...now it works like a charm.....and the G5 isn't 250 bucks (and I got 2 of them)..... electronics..I love gadgets....but hate them also....

In the end I am glad that I can open my top...because I love to drive with the wind in my hair!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:23 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Nicolaas, I had a similar problem with my unit about a month after install. I actually had to manually open the top to get to the module (and the manual says to take it to the dealer to re-set...which I did myself). Anyway it turns out the module had come alittle loose. There is a velcro strap that can be installed (originally I ignored this) once I installed this I have had NO problems.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
....There is a velcro strap that can be installed (originally I ignored this) once I installed this I have had NO problems.
When I opened the back of the car and viewed the position and vulnerability of the installation, I decided the "optional" velcro strap was not optional at all. I followed the tip to loosen the bracket screws so as to snake the strap behind and then firmly wrapped it around the module.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:23 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Same here. Installing the "optional" velco was NOT an option in my book. Makes it that much more secure. Considering I track my car as well, I needed all the security to keep it in place I could I used that velcro.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:26 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My top didn't work at all....after operating perfectly with the module.....the dealer opened the cab with the key in the door!!! We (he ) checked the module....but even after taking it out and putting it back in it still didn't work. And yes the velcro strap is a must!!!
I am glad it was nothing serious, because I love to drive with the top down....catch some rays while driving!!! We will wait and see what is up with the module....they should have received it by now.
Will keep you posted

Quick Reply: SMART TOP...NOT SO SMART!!!