Sponsored by:

SMART TOP...NOT SO SMART!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SMART TOP...NOT SO SMART!!!

Bought the smart top in the group buy recently...and suddenly the top did not open anymore!! When the my P didn't start (see my sad sight post!) I told the garage about this problem..since the car had to be fixed anyway (eventhough it was only a fuse)....anyways

they took out the "smart top" module and the top opened and closed....put back the module and nothing worked....conclusion Smart top module is broken.

Anybody else any problems with this?? Cost me one hour of labor!! So smart top is not so smart after all!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:49 AM
pl
Drifting

felt bad for you, i am sure they can give a replacement.
mine works great.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll tell you what I tell my stats students in the intro class.......correlation does not infer causation. Translated? Just b/c nothing worked when you plugged in the unit does not mean the module is broken. It very well may be but I would contact them first to figure it out before you you make your own conclusions regarding the SmartTop.

Did the top work at all when you installed it the first time?
Did you install it properly?
Have you contacted Wilhemy-IT?

Just trying to get you down the correct path.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:08 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Dell,,,I installed the smarttop and remote top right after receiving it( a month or 2 ago and it worked fine).. it stopped working last weekend...so the garage took it out and the top worked normally...then just to check put it back in and the top didn't work....hence it is the module....I hope I spelled it out for you!! It is a simple plug and play device, even a kid can install it! But when it stops working after it worked fine for a month a so....it has to be broken! And of course they will replace it.....just wanted to know if anybody had the same experience!
And Dell you are the reason I never liked teachers!! Always "trying to be smart"
Old 03-22-2006, 02:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Nicolaas, not sure if you are being funny or being a jerk but I am going to assume funny since I haven't seen that other side out of you. But I ask you again, have you contacted Wilhelmy-IT and told them what happened? We already know you blew a fuse screwing around with the electricals from your other post so I just want to make sure you understand what is going on. As you said "conclusion smarttop......broken" and without acutally knowing for sure that is not a valid statement.

But I ask you this, if a child could install it (as you stated) then why in the world did you pay for an hour of labor?

And by the way, it is professor, not teacher. A teacher is what you had when you were learning your ABC's and 123's. And trust me, I am EXACTLY the type of professor you wanted and would ahve loved to have when you were in college....I am somebody who actually cares about my studetns and approach my courses as if I was the student (e.g., how would I want to be taught and treated fairly).

As I said, I sincerely hope you were just trying to comical and it just came out wrong. I would be interested to know your intent.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:55 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I am always comical..my father in law is a professor! I always tell him to change the world by starting with yourself!

The top stopped working before the fuse blew..so the 2 are unrelated. I didn't pay an hour for the install, but for them to figure out why my top didn't work anymore and since the car was at the shop already I didn't want to make my hands dirty. I didn't think about a faulty module, but something much worse.
If something stops working after working perfectly for about 2 months...there must be something wrong with it...because now (after taking the module out) my top works perfectly...so it doesn't matter how I or you look at it..when it doesn't work I call it broken..I am not accusing Wilhelmy-IT...they already reacted to my email and I will ship the smartop back and they will test it....and mail me a new one.

Did you do the install? If so you know how easy the install was..if not.....

My remarks were a mixture of humor and sarcasm.... and I am sorry that I called you a teacher....I sincerely hope that you are the professor you state you are for your students and the worlds sake. I was only stating a fact....when it doesn't work....it is broken. Call me simple. For you to throw in your 2 educated cents, went into my uneducated wrong hole and I couldn't help myself being a little sarcastic...but I think you are making more out of it than I meant it to be...so sorry if I offended you. I am European, so blame it on the fact that English is my second (actually my 3rd language) and let's move past this. BY THE WAY..I wasn't screwing around with the electronics...I was merely following detailed instructions on how the add a AUX line-in to my Becker radio....screwing around is what your students do when you turn your back to them (JUST KIDDING!!!!)
Old 03-22-2006, 09:43 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which fuse blew? It could be the SmartTop Module that caused the fuse to blow or something else that caused the fuse to blow which in turn blew out the SmarTop Module.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
..... have you contacted Wilhelmy-IT and told them what happened?
Dell is correct in this advice. Good grief, our $95K cars behave the same way on occasion ..... quitting or malfunctioning for no apparent reason. Reference the above picture on the flat bed.

As for the SmartTop .... mine began to give some unpredictable responses after 6 or 8 months. One call to Wilhelmy, and a new one was on the way. I certainly could not have asked for a better response to what, inevitably, will occur in a certain percentage of any manufactured device.

Absolute, bullet proof reliability would be nice .... but I didn't get that in my car, so why should I expect it in a $250 electronic part?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:35 AM
pl
Drifting

Nicolaas,
did you call them or email them? what did they say?
i would contact them for tech. support.
i contacted them twice, by phone and email, both times were responsive and effective.
good luck, get your car ready for spring!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:50 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good grief, are you serious? I expect a $250 part to work correctly forever since it has no moving parts or ever runs out of memory.

What type of unpredictable respnses were you getting?

Sometimes mine doesn't seem to want to close while in 3rd doing 20 mph. I put it in 2nd and drop down to 18mph then it works. Of course by that point I'm in my driveway.

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
Dell is correct in this advice. Good grief, our $95K cars behave the same way on occasion ..... quitting or malfunctioning for no apparent reason. Reference the above picture on the flat bed.

As for the SmartTop .... mine began to give some unpredictable responses after 6 or 8 months. One call to Wilhelmy, and a new one was on the way. I certainly could not have asked for a better response to what, inevitably, will occur in a certain percentage of any manufactured device.

Absolute, bullet proof reliability would be nice .... but I didn't get that in my car, so why should I expect it in a $250 electronic part?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

And by the way, it is professor, not teacher.
I didn't know instructing strippers in Pole Dancing 101 was so involving
Old 03-22-2006, 12:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Shark
I didn't know instructing strippers in Pole Dancing 101 was so involving
It's not exactly Pole Dancing 101 but, hey somebody's gotta do it! You'd be surprised at the numbers of "dancers" that are in my classes. I honestly think this is the only place where the old addage of "I am just doing this to put myself through school" actually holds true. Gotta love this place
Old 03-22-2006, 12:41 PM
woody-77
Racer

It's not exactly Pole Dancing 101 but, hey somebody's gotta do it! You'd be surprised at the numbers of "dancers" that are in my classes. I honestly think this is the only place where the old addage of "I am just doing this to put myself through school" actually holds true. Gotta love this place
Mind if I sit in on a few classes Dell?!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Good grief, are you serious? I expect a $250 part to work correctly forever since it has no moving parts or ever runs out of memory.

What type of unpredictable respnses were you getting?
Yes, I'm serious. Perfect, no defect electronic components would be nice, but not a realistic expectation in my experience. Witness the postings regarding alarm problems, central locking computer problems, key head problems, radio problems, etc.

I have had some experience in my distant past with lesser (but certainly not zero) defect electronic components. The manufacturing process was called "Mil Spec" (short for military specification) and involved over engineering and extensive post production burn-in and testing of each individual component. Even that process did not produce zero defect components .... but it certainly resulted in the military paying a huge premium in cost. (worth it, in some cases, when my life depended upon the component).

I consider a reasonable & preferable compromise in non-critical applications to be a more affordable product backed by no-questions-asked service and replacement when necessary.

As for my experiences with the SmartTop, after approximately 6 months of flawless ops, it would occasionally not function via one touch when the car was moving. Also, the rear window auto movement was not consistent. One call to the company brought the response .... "we'll send you a new one right away". As I made clear before, I thought that was a pefectly acceptable outcome, all things considered. I would dearly love to hear that from some of the other companies one deals with in pursuing the Porsche addiction.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by woody-77
Mind if I sit in on a few classes Dell?!
Sure thing! No cover charge for Rennlisters

Quick Reply: SMART TOP...NOT SO SMART!!!