Sponsored by:

'04 996 Anniv. Ed. #1271

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:17 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I don't understand the Cayman comparison, either...not remotely in the same league, unless you plan to use it for autocross. Of course, I'm biased.
How exactly is the Cayman not remotely in the same league? It has just as much if not more luggage space, would pants a stock Normally Aspirated 996 anywhere, road or track, is a hell of a lot nicer on the inside than ANY 996, and it's a brand new car. You could get a very nice one for around $70K...

Sounds like you have never driven one or you wouldn't be so snobby about the Cayman "not being in the same league" as the 996. Sorry for the snap reaction; I just think your comment is out of whack with reality.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:39 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know if I would say that the Cayman isn't remotely in the same league but I would say it is in a DIFFERENT league. As Porsche designed it, it is to slot between the Boxster and 911. Now the Boxster isn't remotely in the same league, but the Cayman is rather approaching it.

Think of the Boxster as a great college baseball player, the Cayman as a really good double A ball player almost ready to get the call to the show but just missing that "something" and the 911 is in the majors. Porsche designed it that way.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:03 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ventoGT
would pants a stock Normally Aspirated 996 anywhere, road or track
pants=pass??

I've seen 3 different Caymans on the track and they all had one thing in common..... they kept getting smaller and smaller in my rear view mirror. Seriously, trash talking aside, I've yet to be passed by one. So my statistaclly valid survey of three will settle the 911 vs. Cayman debate once and for all, right???
Old 03-27-2006, 12:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
I've seen 3 different Caymans on the track...... getting smaller in my rear view mirror. I've yet to be passed by one.
Same here......seen a couple at the track and let's just I was underwhelmed.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't it a bit insular to be "disappointed" in any way shape or form about the Cayman's performance relative to a 996 Carrera's performance on a track... when there are so many variables to account for and the only equal measurement at this point is that the Cayman is just as fast if not faster and stops just as short if not shorter than any naturally aspirated non-GT1 engined 996?

The hint of snobbery from the 996 forum is kinda... ironic bordering pathetic even if it may be light hearted trash talking... given that we are the red headed step children of the 911 lineup perception wise at least.

Just a thought, not saying it with any offensive intentions.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

B Choi......I for one did not make my statement out of snobbery. I was just VERY underwhelmed. Before it came out, I thought it would be my next purchase, instead seeing it in person and seeing it on the track I was just not blown away as I wanted to be since this was a car that was "stirring things up".

Quick Reply: '04 996 Anniv. Ed. #1271