996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Please help with coolant question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Patric F.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with coolant question.

I am slightly low on coolant and need to add about 1 quart. The manual says to only use Porsche authorized coolant to top the system off. However, the manual does not indicate what coolants are authorized. I am assuming it is overpriced stuff available only at the dealership. Anyway, is there any coolant that I can buy locally, Walmart, Autozone, ect, that will be fine to add? I do not want to cause any adverse reaction with the coolant Porsche has in the system, but I want to get this topped off and the dealership is closed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat
Old 03-18-2006, 05:28 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you won't find any compatible coolant at walmart or autozone. there is a brand of coolant which is supposed to be porsche supplier but it's a rare brand. for 1 qt, just get it from the dealer. it's 45/gal. not sure price on a qt.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Add that crap from Walmart, etc, and you are asking for your coolant to turn to jello!
Old 03-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Patric F.
Instructor

I thought so. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:17 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just add a quart of distilled water. You'll be fine.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Patric F.
Instructor

Will that throw off the coolant to water ratio? How much distilled water can I add before I need to worry about that ratio?
Old 03-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Realist D.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody actually know what is special about the coolant that makes you think you can't use a coolant purchased anywhere that is compatible with aluminum engines? Even Toyota owners manuals say "use only Toyota approved coolant supplied by your Toyota Dealer ...". It is nothing more than a marketing ploy intended to improve loyalty to the Dealer. I should know, I work in marketing for one of those companies. Coolant purchased at Walmart is not likely to turn your existing coolant to goo as long as you purchase a coolant that is compatible with aluminum engine blocks (and change it a specified intervals).
Old 03-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...&st=0&p=18113&
Old 03-19-2006, 01:16 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

You are supposed to use a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. There are approx 25 quarts of coolant in the system. So topping up with a quart of water instead of 1/2 quart water and 1/2 quart coolant only puts about 4 percent more water in the mix (if my math is correct and if the current mix really is 50/50). Water transfers heat more efficiently than coolant, so your car should run slightly cooler but be slightly less able to withstand freezing. Unless you are in Alaska, the extra water won't make a significant difference.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Realist D.
Instructor

Tool Pants, thanks for the link to some more knowledgeable conversation on coolants (no insult intended to the first few posts here but the knee-jerk "use Porsche approved ..." is usually folly). There was one post in there about mixing coolants causing the resultant mix to turn into jello. I sincerely doubt that would happen if you mixed in an aluminum friendly coolant - it sounds like a "wives tale" to me. Also, the thought that the coolant that came in the car from the factory should last a lifetime seems suspect to me, although there is nothing to be gained by Porsche in recommending this (unless they believed most cars would require RMS replacement at some point, which would allow them to change the coolant in the process ;-)
Old 03-19-2006, 11:27 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Realist, I think you are right about the 'jello' as long as it is phosphate free coolant. I did an experiment mixing Prestone Extended Life (from Autozone!) with the coolant from my car. I heated the mixture to 180 degrees several times on the stove and let it sit for a couple of weeks. It did not gell. Since I bought my car used it is possible that the existing coolant wasn't Prosche coolant and it is possible the gelling process takes longer.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:32 AM
autostrasse
4th Gear

Who has the answer . I work on 996 engines everyday, I have not seen any corrosion problems yet , we have found a replacement collant but you half to buy mass Amounts, we just use the coolant from porsche , I want to sleep good at night
Old 03-19-2006, 11:53 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you drain you old coolant (should do every 3 - 4 years), just replace it with any brand name coolant mixture. I use PEAK from Menards. $5/gallon for a total cost of about $30.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:23 PM
ebaker
Pro

If you add 1 quart of water you'll only be short 1/2 quart of coolant. That will change the mix by only 2%. I'd just add some bottled drinking water.
The Pentosin G12 antifreeze uses phosphate free organic acid additives. It's supposed to be a lifetime coolant. Porsche reccomends changing it every 5 years on the turbo. I've read everything I could find on it but no one seems to know if it is compatible with the more readily available coolants like dexcool.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the Porsche Coolant the same as VW/Audi G12? If so then Havoline Dex Cool will work just fine.

Quick Reply: Please help with coolant question.