Sponsored by:

Differences between OEM tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Differences between OEM tires?

I know this has been published somewhere but I can't find it on the net. I know that 996's can come with Pirelli's, Michelins, Continentals, and ? My question is how do the handling, ride, noise, and wear characteristics of each tire differ and do I as a "waiter" get a choice of what the factory puts onto my C4S?

MTIA

Le Chef
Old 12-27-2002, 08:32 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
As I understand it, you get whatever they put on... blame it on "just in time" manufacturing.

I got Conti's on both my 993s. They wear longer, but I think are the least sticky.

Even tho you spec'd the car out, there are still some surprises.

M
Old 12-27-2002, 08:35 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Le Chef:
<strong>I know this has been published somewhere but I can't find it on the net. I know that 996's can come with Pirelli's, Michelins, Continentals, and ? My question is how do the handling, ride, noise, and wear characteristics of each tire differ and do I as a "waiter" get a choice of what the factory puts onto my C4S?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, you don't have a choice of tires. For 2002, the factory installed either Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico N3 or Continental Sport Contact 2 N2 on the Carrera 4S. Both these tires are labeled as "sports" by Porsche and likely have similar sporting characteristics.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:13 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Hey Chef

PS:I sent you a private message response to your Road America question.

"Black" in it should actually say "Blackhawk"
Sorry, everyone else, I don't know how to edit a pm.

Mike
Old 12-28-2002, 12:53 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your dealer will (should) accomodate you by switching the tire/wheel combination to one of your preference. Provided he has a suitable substitute on the lot.

My choice/requirement is always the Michelins. The Pirellis have quality/wear issues and the Contis are a high mileage/low traction solution (IMHO).

As a tactic, you can pospone delivery until a suitably "shod" replacement is found.

Let your salesman handle this, just tell him what you want. He'll groan for about 2 seconds and then get it done.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:27 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

i don't think that michelin makes a rear tire the right size to fit a 2002 c4s or turbo. perhaps viken will correct me if i'm wrong. i also would have preferred michelins to either conti's or p zero's.

Quick Reply: Differences between OEM tires?