Sponsored by:

Replacement engine, take it ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Replacement engine, take it ??

I'll fess up and say I posted this question already in another forum, in case you guys are in that forum. Anyway, my C4S is having it's second RMS replacement done. If this fails again, it's gonna be a new engine. Would you guys take the new engine?

It seems to be a no-brainer. Take the new engine. Problem is, it's not a "new" engine. It's a re-manufactured one. Why was it "re-maufactured". Did it blow up? Is it Bob's old engine come back to life? Aside from the RMS, I'm actually pretty happy with this current engine. Would I be replacing a recurring RMS problem, not a biggie, with a potentially bigger one if I took the remanufactured engine?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:57 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

All the motors that come from PCNA are "re-manufactured".

They are in every way as good as a motor in a "new" car.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

As long as it was the seal and not the actual engine out of spec then the new gen seal might solve your problem. Hope it's just the seal.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:18 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I recall reading in this forum, they aren't used engines, they are remanufactured engines. The terms describes the process whereby an engine was produced by Porsche, did not meet technical specs for whatever reason, taken offline, and subsequently fixed. I'll see if I can find that post that describes this process in better detail for you.

UPDATE: Here's the thread link. It's post number 13....ah, what a lucky number. And I quote:
"My 2.5L Boxster engine was replaced at 45k mi with a remanufactured engine. My understanding is that "remanufactured" engines are new engines that failed factory bench testing and were sent back to the line for correction. These engines are again tested and then used for warranty purposes. My replacement engine was much stronger than the original. It pulled harder. I put 16k mi on it before selling it, with not one problem and no oil usage."
Old 03-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I think you are taking a chance. The RMS is really not that big of deal unless it was leaking very bad and is causing a clutch chattering problem.

I am in manufacturing business, as with any manufacturing there are yield rates, not 100% of the products makes it through QC. Like Porsche do we also send the failed product back to the repair line and see if it can be fixed. Sometimes the original failure can be caused by more than one area and sometimes you just have to throw away the product and start all over. So the repair may not 100% cover it, on the surface it may seem to fix it, but the product often will fail at the field at a later time. The complex nature of the product is in direct relation with the complexity of possible problem. I am not sure what process Porsches uses, and maybe they can catch all the bugs. But the word remanufactured scares me, it is a crap shoot in my book.

What I would do is to have your car Dynoed before the motor replacement and then a Dyno after to see if the new motor is better or worst. This way you would have evidence to go back to Porsche to ask for another engine if the replacement motor is worst.

I know for a fact that there is a big variance with the power output ont he 993 motor, something to do with the CAM timing from the CAM gear setting from the factory. The variance can varie from 10-15% sometimes. So not all motors are created equal, I am sure there is a value range Porsche uses to certifies it's motor for consumption. Some ends up low, some high.

So.... just my $0.02
Old 03-15-2006, 08:20 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche remanufactured engines are better than the originals. They are NEW engines that did not pass the original test. So they are ripped apart, ALL PARTS REPLACED, and given a more thorough testing. If it passes then its sent out as a warranty replacement engine. For Porsche they dont wanna replace an engine twice so in their mind they are giving you a BETTER engine for one replaced under warranty. They usually are stronger and are very reliable. I have one so I am speaking from experience and the research I collected when my motor was replaced.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:17 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Palting - as far a being concerned that you might get one of Bob's old motors, I wouldn't worry. They have probably been "remanufactured" into ash trays by now!

Last edited by gota911; 03-15-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had oe put in and It was very strong.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:11 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Bobs old motors were completely ruined so there is NO chance you could get one of his.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

If you needed a new engine I certainly wouldn't worry about it, if I'm not mistaken it should come with a new 2 year warranty?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the word Re-manufactured is wrong. The engines have already been manufactured, so you can't make them again. But what you can do with something that has already been manufactured is to ReWork it to the correct quality, functionality, performance, etc. specifications of a part that passed the initial manufacturing standards.

These engines are new, and just needed extra work on them for them to work properly. But legally, you just can't call them new, because they are really considered '2nds'. So since Porsche does not have any factory outlet stores to sell the stuff that did not quite work right the first time, they use them as warranty replacements. Everyone does it. (especially CE and computer manufacturers)

With that said, if you do opt for a replacement engine (which I think you should), make sure that you break it in just like a new car. (under 4K rpms for the first 2K miles) Because it you don't you run the risk of breaking that motor. And be sure to let it warm up properly before reving over 4K on a broken-in engine.

Ask me how I know it might break.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Glad to know it's not a "used" engine. Not nice to know that it's new, but it still failed testing and had to be "remanufactured".

And, AFAIK, it does come with a 2 year warranty. I do have extended warranty on the car, so that's good 'til March 2008. If the engine gets replaced, it will be at the end of this year/early next year, so any engine warranty will extend it to 2009.

I kinda like this orignal engine. It's like an old shoe. Comfortable, well broken-in, reliable, no surprises. There will always be variations when it comes to hand building engines,and, except for the RMS, I feel this is one of the better put together engines. OTOH, who's to say that a new engine would'nt be just as good, except for no RMS and being new? Oh, well. Guess I'll cross that bridge if/when I come to it.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:44 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure the new seal will solve your problem, some of you may recall that mu 04 has had its 4th seal in for a while its fine, with the old style seal it would like after 1000 k, but this one is in and good for just under 20 K
Old 03-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

I hope so, kilr. Last time my RMS was changed was January 2005. I think the latest generation RMS was out already by that time, and I think that's what I got. So, I'm kinda looking at this next one with a sorta jaundiced eye.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:04 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Palting Check your incoice for the part number, they told me on the 3rd RMS fix that it was the new one.......it wasnt it leaked 800 miles later.Then they installed the new one.

Quick Reply: Replacement engine, take it ??