Sponsored by:

changing tyres for the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 07:12 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question changing tyres for the track

every time I go to the track my local garage changes my SO2's street tyres for my track wheels with Yoko AO48's. He also changes the geometry on the front. Toes it in a little I believe. For the privelege he charges me $60 every time. Am I being ripped off cos I can change a wheel or two but not the toe in stuff. He wants me to buy a GT3 sway bar? so it can done more easily. Is he kidding me.

PS anybody running pagid liners without the shims for both a daily drive/track use?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Why wouldn't you do this yourself? Sounds like he enjoys taking your $$$. There is NO reason to change the geometry of the car (and may actually be detrimental). Stick with your stock settings and change your wheels either (1)before you head to the track or (2)at the track.

As for the pads. I do NOT use the shims and change between street and track pads. Yes they squeal every once in a while when on streets but not a very easy situataion to have to get the stock pads out with shims attached.

And if you are running the same pad for the track and the street, I would highly advise against it. Pads are made for certain types of environments (temp, enduro, etc,.). There should be no reason that you are running one pad only since the environment of the street and the track are TOTALLY different.

Iff you are running 2 different pads (street and track) then no need to run with the shims. Besides, easier to R&R.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:51 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the $60 includes the track inspection that's not bad at all.

However, I would be more concern with camber more than the toe setting for track.

Kam

Quick Reply: changing tyres for the track