996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer enclosures

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a Magnat 1" bass tube, cut it to 1/3 of its size and popped a port on the back. I removed the rear seat base and velcro'd the cut down base tube to the seat borrom well. The base woofer is a 1" Aliante flat honeycomb. I also replaced the 2 dash speakers and 2 rear speakers with Bose 901 drivers. This hooked up to my Kicker amp. The sound is amazing. Deep, clear with great top and middle range.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:46 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
I went by the AI Design shop on Saturday afternoon. Matt, the founder, and all the guys working with him seem like really genuine and great guys who love their business. He showed me the enclosure and it is a really nice work of art that bolts right into the OEM position and is held in place by a bolt in the exact same location so no interior mods are necessary. It uses an 8" JL Audio woofer and the construction quality looks extraordinarily tight. At this point, I'm quite anxious to get that puppy installed. But, your suspicion is likely correct though in that I don't think they made the enclosure for a right hand drive car.

Anyway, I was really impressed by their facility and even more so by the work on the cars that they have done there (everything from audio to performance mods and interior enhancement). Net net, by the time I finished talking with Matt, it was pretty clear that I'll be installing some other upgrades in addition to the subwoofer. He recommended Focal separates up front in the stock door enclosures, JL audio coax speakers in back, and Alpine digital amplifiers (one 4 channel and one 1 channel) to power it all. Best part, I can keep the head unit to keep the stock look. Once everything gets done, I'll be sure to report back here and let you know how it all went, how it looks, and best part, how it sounds.
Hey Edward,

I can attest to that. I have been really happy with my Focal speakers -- a pair of Focal Polyglass 100V2 2-ways for the dash and Utopia 5WS for the doors. I kept the rear speakers stock because those are just for "fill" anyway on a cab. I might replace them with a pair of Focal Access speakers.

The Focal setup sounds great with music from CD/MP3 and iPod (I have an Alpine head unit with an iPod connector) and pretty good with XM (again using the Alpine XM connector.) Jazz, pop and vocals sound great and so does chillout/electronica but bass is lacking on rap/hip-hop.

I am now torn trying to decide between the AI Design footwell enclosure with the 8" JL Audio driver or a single floor enclosure from Car Audio Innovations with an 8" Earthquake driver (the nice thing about this is that I can get another one in case I determine that one is not enough.) Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-16-2006, 02:25 AM
TallCoolOne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by programmatore
Hey Edward,

I can attest to that. I have been really happy with my Focal speakers -- a pair of Focal Polyglass 100V2 2-ways for the dash and Utopia 5WS for the doors. I kept the rear speakers stock because those are just for "fill" anyway on a cab. I might replace them with a pair of Focal Access speakers.

The Focal setup sounds great with music from CD/MP3 and iPod (I have an Alpine head unit with an iPod connector) and pretty good with XM (again using the Alpine XM connector.) Jazz, pop and vocals sound great and so does chillout/electronica but bass is lacking on rap/hip-hop.

I am now torn trying to decide between the AI Design footwell enclosure with the 8" JL Audio driver or a single floor enclosure from Car Audio Innovations with an 8" Earthquake driver (the nice thing about this is that I can get another one in case I determine that one is not enough.) Decisions, decisions...
I will sell you two of the CAI ones for 500 plus shipping to you. They have been sitting on my floor going to waste after a couple of people promised to buy them. Now i just want to get rid of them
Old 05-16-2006, 08:06 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by programmatore
I hear you on the consideration of the CAI enclosure, but what's nice about the AI design is that it takes up very little space in the passenger footwell (Matt noted that it was only 3/4" wider than the OEM Bose unit and packs and much better woofer....having listened to my father's stock enclosure setup, I definitely ruled against going with the BOSE unit; it's just all muddled). Anyway, depending on how long you have to wait, I can let you know how it sounds once it's installed.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:41 PM
leslie
Instructor

Nycebo,

Any updates on the AI design install?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:48 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Hey Leslie,

Well, I got the first estimate from AI Design and they had omitted the rear speakers which I also wanted to replace. Additionally, when I asked them about pricing on the equipment (given that I saw some prices on the web for almost half of what they were charging), they stated that they just don't discount at all. No big deal, their company. Anyway, they said that they would email over the updated quote and I never got it. I sent over a reminder email and still never heard anything back. Maybe they were upset that I tried to get better pricing on the equipment, though I never even questioned their own personal installation charges? Just plain odd if you ask me.

So, now I stuck reconsidering my options. Perhaps I can buy the equipment and install it myself?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:10 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

I've seen some AI installs on M5s and they are top notch. Albeit pricey, but you will get what you pay for. But with that said, there are plenty of audio shops in the tri-state area so you should shop around.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:08 PM
leslie
Instructor

Nycebo,

Fraid I cant help on local shop recommendations

But I have pretty much settled the main components of my setup

Keeping CDR220 and CD changer for stock look

Alpine 701 DSP to provide time allignment and active crossover for tuning
Brax 2400.2 800w 4 channel amp
SEAS Lotus Reference series RS165A tweeters and mid bass
Whatever sub will fit in the factory sub enclosure for cabs
Some amp to power this sub.

As you can see, still work in progress but I though I would give you an update
Old 05-30-2006, 01:26 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

I would look into the Alpine digital amplifiers....they are new and small and light. Would seem to fit our space constrained applications perfect.

Are you doing the installation yourself, Leslie?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

Lesie,

Very nice choice on the drivers. I'd suggest getting a subwoofer that is of the same quality as the Seas speakers. It would be a shame to ruin those wonderful highs and mids with bass that isn't up the the same level of performance (tight and articulate).
Old 05-31-2006, 10:44 AM
leslie
Instructor

Nycebo,

No certainly not the DIY type. And frankly, in this part of the world, labour costs are low. Just have to be very selective on who does the work. They all charge around the same price but quality varies greatly.

Bill,

It's very slippery on my part of the slope and I suspect I will end up spending a good amt of money on a sub and the power source. Any recommendations? Am thinking that if it fits, I will just get a SEAS sub as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 AM
TMAC
Instructor

Seeing alot of these installs takes me back to how much I like how the 996 car can sound.
These pictures are from a clients car when I use to manage a sound shop in Tampa, FL. These are "in-progess" shots showing the sub enclosure we built for (6) 6" JL Audio sub woofers. I noticed there was a lot of back and forth conversation on how good this setup might sound. I can tell you first hand that when properly designed and powered these subs sound amazing. I am a fan of low end bass as well but I was amazed at just how good these subs sounded.
Enjoy the shots and I will try to find my finished shots of the car.
Attached Images         
Old 07-10-2007, 01:31 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Check me if I'm wrong, Scottie, but....isn't 2 massive Mc amps a tad overkill in a car like ours?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:21 PM
TMAC
Instructor

Originally Posted by nycebo
Check me if I'm wrong, Scottie, but....isn't 2 massive Mc amps a tad overkill in a car like ours?
That is what the client wanted.
I am installing two JL Audio Amps, a 1000/1 & a 450/4. Ii am only using these because I have owned them for a couple of years while they have just sat in their boxes. I think they are a real over kill but they will never over heat and I can make my car as loud as I want when I want.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:11 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice setup, but looks like over 100#'s of MDF & woofers......right where it's not needed.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer enclosures