Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer enclosures

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007 | 06:21 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

I guess weight reduction wasn't a consideration I would have built the box out of fiberglass... Very time comsuming but the fit and finish is second to none when done properly...
Old 07-11-2007 | 01:59 AM
benjr
Advanced

Default subs inb doors

Here is what I did. My targa has enough bass to make you feel like you are in a concert inside the car however it doesnt sound like a ganbanger in a rice burner form the outside. Speaker Works in Orange Ca is a pioneer in quality simple audio systems. I have flat 8'' subs in the doors. and about $ 500.00 worth of dampening material to make sure the doors dont rattle. I have kick panels for superior imaging. They made an amp rack that bolts to the stock shock towers. The car retains a stock look.

Last edited by benjr; 05-29-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2007 | 10:12 AM
TMAC
Instructor

Looks nice benjr, once I get started on my car I will start posting pictures of the install
Old 07-11-2007 | 11:46 AM
bull30
Burning Brakes

I wish I was still into car audio like I was in the past... I was a 2-time National Champion in car audio and used to own several extremely high-end car stereo stores in the Baltimore area... People used to bring their cars to my shop from other states to get their work done... We used to do things like vacuum forming door panels, complex isobaric band-pass enclosures and digital time alignment before anyone even knew what it was all about...

Speaker Works is an excellent west coast shop... I would guess though, you will have to get some rattles out of the door... If not now, sooner or later... I used to make a fiberglass enclosure that spanned the width of the car behind the seats and raised the back bottom seat cushions up a few inches... That cabinet was loaded with 2-KEF 9x13 subs... Great bass but not the 60hz drone that the kids like today, you know, a lot of bass but only 1 note

The kids would come into my shop to show off their bass saying "listen to how low it goes"... I would hook up the spectrum analyzer and sure enough it would drop off right around 60hz with their magnificent 15" subs... I would take them into my 3000GT VR-4 (2nd National Championship Car) and blow them away with bass down to the 20-30hz range, which is really low, then show them the complex (no perpendicular walls to eliminate standing waves) dual 8" isobaric band-pass enclosure... Design means EVERYTHING... In sound, SIZE DOESN'T MATTER

Nice look... Best of luck with it... For me, I'm old, talk radio and my Fabspeed exhaust system is all I listen to anymore in the car... Sad isn't it... It's a bitch to get old...
Old 07-11-2007 | 12:34 PM
TMAC
Instructor

Originally Posted by bull30
I wish I was still into car audio like I was in the past... I was a 2-time National Champion in car audio and used to own several extremely high-end car stereo stores in the Baltimore area... People used to bring their cars to my shop from other states to get their work done... We used to do things like vacuum forming door panels, complex isobaric band-pass enclosures and digital time alignment before anyone even knew what it was all about...

Speaker Works is an excellent west coast shop... I would guess though, you will have to get some rattles out of the door... If not now, sooner or later... I used to make a fiberglass enclosure that spanned the width of the car behind the seats and raised the back bottom seat cushions up a few inches... That cabinet was loaded with 2-KEF 9x13 subs... Great bass but not the 60hz drone that the kids like today, you know, a lot of bass but only 1 note

The kids would come into my shop to show off their bass saying "listen to how low it goes"... I would hook up the spectrum analyzer and sure enough it would drop off right around 60hz with their magnificent 15" subs... I would take them into my 3000GT VR-4 (2nd National Championship Car) and blow them away with bass down to the 20-30hz range, which is really low, then show them the complex (no perpendicular walls to eliminate standing waves) dual 8" isobaric band-pass enclosure... Design means EVERYTHING... In sound, SIZE DOESN'T MATTER

Nice look... Best of luck with it... For me, I'm old, talk radio and my Fabspeed exhaust system is all I listen to anymore in the car... Sad isn't it... It's a bitch to get old...
I tend to always find people like me (with audio experience) on different forum pages. It is nice to see other people who have the appreciation for quality sound.
I have been in and out of the industry for roughly 16 years now and still do custom work on the side at my home. I no longer work for a shop but choose to work in the IT industry.
It doesn't mean I am not still into the newest technology in the audio world.
True quality is hard to come by and it starts with the proper equipment and most of all the correct design. You are right, size doesn't matter as much as design does. In the audio/video world cabling also has a huge effect as well.
Blah, blah, blah. I know I could go on and on but my point is I am glad to see true audio lovers on the board.
Old 07-13-2007 | 10:51 PM
jayfunk
Advanced

saw this post and just wanted to contribute my audio creation in the Pcar

IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x251/jayfunk55/IMG00032.jpg[/IMG]

one JL 10in sub with plexi on the front (with red led's), on the back has my guys logo that has LED's also behind it . on the back of the seats, just has the people responsible for the system on plexi with again, red led's behind it. the best part is that i can still fold my seats up and make the system stealth so that if your not really looking, you dont know its there

box is wrapped in suede to match my headliner and other parts, system is powered by a audison amp as well.
Old 07-13-2007 | 10:58 PM
jayfunk
Advanced

Old 07-14-2007 | 10:17 AM
TMAC
Instructor

jayfunk - nice looking system. Do you have any pictures of the hood and also what are you using for front and rear speakers?

Quick Reply: Subwoofer enclosures