Sponsored by:

exhaust fume?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 01:34 PM
lacast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking exhaust fume?

As you all know from my previous questions, I am a new 928 porsche owner. That was my dream car ever since I was senior in high school 1987. At that time it was way out of my pocket reach. Well I finally bought one (Guards red\manual\1982). Sometimes I come out with dumb questions because I don't know what is normal. Since I have never driven I dont know what type of performance it should have. I did blow away a M3 the other day though. We were doing over 100 mph on the expressway. I just started moving away from it until I hit 120 mph and he just fated away. Well here is my question. My car has no muffler straight pipe from the cat. I get this strong odor of gas when I press on the gas paddle but the car doesn't smoke at all. Is it because it does't have a muffler or do I have some kind of vaccum leak. The idle is very low it is on the lowest line.

Thank you, for any helpful information
1982 928\manual
Old 12-16-2002, 02:23 PM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

Cast,
As far as your idle speed, it is very easy to adjust it in the 928.. I dont remember exactly, but i am posting a picture with a yellow circle on the engine.. Look thereabout, there is a big screw that you turn both ways to adjust the throtlle. Mine was so low the dash lights would all light again as if the engine stopped, now it is perfect.

As for the exhaust fumes, it is easy. Start the car at cold engine and put your hand on the exhaust to block the gazes running out.. If the noise is still the same (not muffled and deadened) and there is no exhaust pressure that builds up on your hand (let some1 rev the car a bit) then there is surely leak.. Remember the big 4.7liter really breathes!! so your hand should be pushed out by the gazes! I had a lot of problems with the same issue when i removed the cat-pot from under..

Try this as a 'step1' before suspecting Vacum hoses. Do you hear a constant abnormal 'hiss' from around the center console? Are you sure the gazes are not coming out of a bad or torn gear-lever seal (center console in between the front seats)..

Oh! and for an '82 928 to blow away an M3, I am wondering which year the beemer was..

Waz
996 C2 99
928S 84 Aut. (anyone wants to hear the great sound of it, send me an email)
Old 12-16-2002, 02:24 PM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

Quick Reply: exhaust fume?