Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Belt stains Savanna leather all the time.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Belt stains Savanna leather all the time.....

I had this problem on my ’99 w/Savanna Beige leather (996), and I now have an ’04 C4S Cab with the same Savanna Beige leather. Had it nearly two years.

My leather belts apparently rub off on the leather, creating a 2” high darker stripe across the seat. It really pisses me off. I’m no fatty either: 6’, 175. The dealer used some lacquer thinner one time on the ’99, and it did take some off, but nothing major.

I detailed this weekend, and I tried mild first: Lexol Leather Cleaner. I let it sit on the stain for about 5 minutes, then wiped it off. Nothing much. Repeated, nothing again. Then I tried warm sudsy water and a soft toothbrush, working the suds in a bit, letting it sit 5 minutes. Again, nothing much. I even tried a tiny bit of mineral spirits, but it did very little as well.

My leather belts are high quality, so I don’t understand why they keep depositing small bits into the Savanna, but they are mostly woven, dark brown, so I know that is the cause. And no one makes a Savanna Beige belt, or I’d be all set!

Anyone have this problem or a resolution? Graphite or Savanna would (I assume) have similar problems like this.

Thanks!

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-05-2006, 08:23 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same color interior, never had problem with belts. Try using an interior brush with the lexol cleaner, much more effective then just letting it sit on the stain. When you say the belt is woven, do you mean it is several strands of leather woven to form the belt. If so that may be the problem, there may be more exposed unsealed leather on a woven belt, but i'm just guessing here.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks JB. Yes, multiple strands, more exposed. But I did use the brush and lexol, nothing much happened.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:06 PM
catnmouse
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My interior savannah beige door pull was discolored, and I thought it was just alot of grime from the PO, but upon furhter exam, it appears that the leather finish has been damaged either through rough handling or too aggressive cleaning or cleaning products, so I would be careful on how you go about this, maybe try a test application on the seat someplace obscure and also check to see if your belt is actually harming the finish on the seat by rubbing. cnm
Old 03-05-2006, 09:40 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Eric - I had a similar thing happen with my Jaguar S-Type driver’s seat. The leather was called Cashmere, a light camel color. I was able to clean it off with saddle soap. However, mine was very lightly stained and it sounds like yours may be more heavily stained.

You could try an upholstery shop or talk to someone at a 'high end" furniture store. They usually have people that can treat or touch up leather upholstery.

Keep us posted on how you make out.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric,

I have same probs with my 03 Boxster with SB interior.
I hate to tell you but I just use windex.....

Robert
Old 03-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

But you know for a real "professional Job" I just spray the windex on a paper towel and wipe with my finger to blackened area. I, again, hate to tell you but it has worked.

Did you ever see My Big Fat Greek Wedding? There's a guy who uses windex for everthing, I think he may be onto something. It's also how we wash our granite kitchen floor.....
Old 03-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Windex... mother of all cleaning products...
Old 03-06-2006, 11:34 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Eric, it's defnitely the woven belt. Indeed, the unfinished/unsealed leather strands wreaked havoc with my beige leather seats in my old Corrado all those years ago. The solution is definitely not to wear those belts in the car. If it's your favorite belt, you can try putting a little towel back there on the days that you wear it.

Now, onto your problem: I have leather couches in my home and the best leather cleaner I have ever used on them is plain old soap (Ivory handsoap) and water. Alternatively, you can try Saddle Soap. Frankly, all those proprietary leather 'cleansers' never seemed to do much of anything for me. The key is to dab gingerly and gently for as long as needed until the stain is removed. But remember, go very slow and gently. After you get the stain out, let it dry for about an hour and then apply one of those conditioners (Lexol) if you want to give it a nice sheen. Hope that helps.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:39 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't have a solution for you, but I have had the same problem with lighter color interiors. As others have mentioned, I had the worst problem with the woven belts, but also had some problems with other belts. I finally just got black interior in my current M3.

I will caution you to be careful in trying to clean the stain. I think the leather cleaners and even regular soap as someone mentioned are pretty safe. However, I got a belt stain on a 1996 M3 with gray interior, and after trying all types of leahter cleaner with little success, I tried some type of solvent on the stain. I think you said you had used a laquer thinner, which was similar to what I used. Bottom line is the solvent removed some of the color off of the seat, in addition to some of the stain. I found out that the seat finish is actually similar to paint. Therefore, if you use anything like a volatle solvent. you risk removing the "paint" off the seat.

Quick Reply: Belt stains Savanna leather all the time.....