Sponsored by:

Rear-mounted bike rack on 996 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 02:39 PM
mikey175
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear-mounted bike rack on 996 Cab

For you 996 Cab owners who are also bike enthusiasts, you may already know this. I saw a 996 cab the other day with an off-the-shelf, Yakima rear-mounted bike rack. Looked like the top clips went over the covertible shelf and the bottom under the engine lid. Made me wonder how wise it is to clip something to the engine lid in the first place, and obstructing air flow around the engine vents in the second.

Does anyone else haul their bike this way? Any dangers?

Thanks.

-- M
Old 02-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Nick Crooks
Advanced

Can't speak for the cab but I have a coupe and tried this with my Yakima rack. I fastened the lower and middle clips to the engine lid and the top clips to the sunroof. It moved alarmingly as I backed out of my driveway and I gave up as it is not stable when anchored like that.

As far as air flow - I doubt thats a big issue but keep it under 75 mph or your spoiler will start to fight the rack! This is a major downside to the Porsche as the rack can fit virtually any other car on the road and the P price for their system is obscene. If anyone else has figured a way to do this, please let me know.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:20 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Nick Croks - Have you checked into the Tequipment roof top rack? They have a bike rack option as seen in the link below. They also have a top mounted rack for cabs, but you have to have the hard top to use it.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...n37/n154/n175/
Old 02-25-2006, 06:09 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

the other thought is install a rear hitch, and use a hitch mounted bike rack.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:56 AM
MikeRosen
Instructor

I would highly recommend this:

Willwood Rack

I just installed it yesterday. It is hardly noticeable when the rack is not installed. The rack goes on or off in 30 seconds.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:11 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Willwood rack

Originally Posted by MikeRosen

Willwood Rack

I just installed it yesterday. It is hardly noticeable when the rack is not installed. The rack goes on or off in 30 seconds.
How difficult was it to install? Were the instructions good?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Do you need to punch holes in the rear bumper ?
This looks like a really nice solution.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

You remove the bumperettes (so you need the removable variety - look for the hole in the bottom for a 6mm allen wrench) and then drill two holes per side to bolt the nice tidy receiver pieces to. Then trim a small bit from the inner-back side of the bumperettes and reinstall them. That's it in a nutshell.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

So there are threaded holes under the bumper to bolt the carriers to?
Is it possible to remove the carriers and fill the holes with bumper plugs at a later time ? Or will there be two big gaping holes ?
Sounds like a few people have this.
Thanks
Old 02-27-2006, 09:37 PM
MikeRosen
Instructor

You will have to drill two holes on the metal plate behind each bumperette. A template for drilling the holes comes with the rack system. There is no need for bumper plugs, because after drilling the holes and mounting the rack receivers, you put the bumper covers back on. They covers the holes you drilled and hide everything but the part of the recievers that sit next to the bumper covers. Look on the website I gave you a link to above, and you will see what is exposed. Drilling the holes themselves is a 5 minute procedure, and the directions are provided with the kit.

The only other thing I will add is that Russ and I have had many racks for many different cars. This is the best possible application for these cars. Call the guy that makes them with questions. I found him very helpful. His number is on the website.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeRosen

Willwood Rack

I use this system on my Boxster and I also highly recommend it!! It is a quality piece and it can be put on or taken off in < 3 minutes.

However, be aware that it is not compatible with the newest style "bumperettes" on the 996. It will work on the old style (non-painted) 996 bumperettes.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Tonger
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey y'all,

There's actually a Porsche Tequipment roof rack for a Cab that does not require a hardtop. It installs like this boxster rack in the link below.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...port_page1.htm

I have one for a 996 that I got as part of a used hardtop purchase. I've got both side supports, crossbars, and the hardware. I'd be willing to make a Rennlist member a great deal on it since it's just taking up space in my garage...

Tonger
Old 02-28-2006, 09:50 AM
mikey175
Racer

I actually have the OEM roof rack on my Targa, which is OK (read: better than not being able to transport my bike, though having to live with the look). Porsche doesn't offer a fairing to reduce wind noise. Thule just came out with a new fairing that looks like it will slide in. I ordered and will install it this week.

I saw the 996 Cab again over the weekend. It was a Bones rack (not a Yakima). The curvature of the arms looked like it would allow enough room for the rear spoiler to rise. Even if it fits and stays, I wonder whether this obstructs air flow right in front of the engine.

The Willwood solution looked interesting, but he lost me at "all you have do is drill two holes."

-- M
Old 02-28-2006, 11:48 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

the wilwood rack works great. i do, however recommend strapping the bike to the car so that it doesn't flop around at 90 mph. i used a nylon strap tied to the seatpost and knotted at the other end (big knot) which anchors the strap in the engine bay.

i'll be using the hitch for a tire trailer as well.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:59 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

The 996 cabrio roof racks fit the 997s....and no, you don't need the hardtop...will be looking to sell the rack at the end of the summer if anyone is interested (lease is up).

Quick Reply: Rear-mounted bike rack on 996 Cab