Default Is this helmet any good?

KBC TK110

http://www.kbc-helmet.com/kbcbbs/zbo...&desc=asc&no=9

its pretty cheap on a group buy
Old 02-22-2006, 06:15 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

why you'd want a non full face helmet is beyond me, i dont think that'd be legal for any form of racing.

you'd be better off to go for a full face helmet.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:17 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
why you'd want a non full face helmet is beyond me, i dont think that'd be legal for any form of racing.

you'd be better off to go for a full face helmet.

I thought that too

http://www.trscca.com/trscca/index.html

Its valid for the autox people above
Old 02-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Putting the full face vs open face argument aside for a moment, this helmet seems to be nothing more than decorative. I've never heard of "DOT standards" for helmets. Snell, yes, but DOT? Save the $50 bucks and go for a S2005 certified helmet.

I would like to wear a full face helmet, but I got claustrophobic in those damn things. So I wear an open face. Hope to never find out if they are equivalent, but they are S2000 certified.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:28 PM
FlashingBlade
Advanced

It depends what you want to use it for.

DOT is the lowest safety standard you can find in the US and offers protection marginally better than a bicycle helmet. For any sort of DE/skills day event that I am aware of, you will need a Snell 2000 or 2005 which come in open and closed faces. For more advanced track events you may need more specialized equipment (and a nomex suit, fire retardent suits, and whole host of other things).
Old 02-22-2006, 08:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

First I assume non-full face is usually for cheapskate reasons but until Palting just gave his stance I now have a better understanding why somebody would go that route.

However, cheapness aside, you need to understand a few things:

(1) tracking your car is NOT cheap whether it be auto-X or DE, etc. (2) NEVER EVER EVER EVER skimp on safety. It never ceases to amaze me that somebody would purchase such an expensive car and then skimp on safety items (ie, tires, helmets, pads, clothing, seats, etc). (3) You will not be allowed to wear anything less than SA95 in most events if not SA2000 rated helmets. M class (motorcycle will not cut it nor pass inspection). The newest nated helmets (SA2005) should be available but not as good a deal you can get on a SA2000 helmet. For about $200 you can get a great SA2000/05 helmet with full face.

Just my $.02

ps. thanks for your perspective Palting......until I read your post I never thought that
Old 02-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went thru this too.

DOT is for road vehicles... like regular motorbike helmets

SNELL rating is required for just about any track or AX event.

SNELL M rating is for Motorbike use... but some AX events allows this.

SNELL SA is for all "special application", like DE and Track events

M can use Nylon liners, SA must use Nomex fire safe liners and have a few extra safety tests

SNELL is updated every 5 years

My PCNA region requires SNELL-1995 or better. AX is OK with M rating, DE's need SA i think.

DEs often require Current or previous SA... so SA-2000 or SA-2005

Does this help??
Old 02-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Default Maybe this will work

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
KBC TK110

http://www.kbc-helmet.com/kbcbbs/zbo...&desc=asc&no=9

its pretty cheap on a group buy
GForce GF750 Open Face Helmet sa2005 rated
Here's a link:

http://www.randys-racemart.com/gforgf750opf.html

Last edited by Mother; 09-23-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:35 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by Mother
GForce GF750 Open Face Helmet sa2005 rated
Here's a link:

http://www.randys-racemart.com/gforgf750opf.html

Palting - is the open face helmet above OK?

I have a separate set of wheels/tires set aside - what else should i get for a novice intro to autox?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
Palting - is the open face helmet above OK?

I have a separate set of wheels/tires set aside - what else should i get for a novice intro to autox?
It looks exactly like my helmet. I have the Simpson LX SA2000 certified. The SA2000 certified ones are cheaper now, but, if you are going to buy a new helmet, I would suggest getting the newly certified SA2005 ones. By 2010, the SA2000's will be obsolete. Don't really know if there are truly any significant advancements between the SA2000 and the SA2005, but most DE's and Autocross events will outlaw helmets that are certified more than 10 years ago. Some no longer allow SA1995's. DE's and autocross are VERY addicting. You will most certainly want to keep doing them long after your helmet is obsolete or too stinky to wear, so buy one that can serve you a long time.

Don't just shop for helmets by looking at websites or catalogues. You have to try them out. I repeat, you MUST try them out. You have to have the right size, and even then, they all fit differently. For autocross and a novice run at DE, you could borrow one in a pinch until you find the right helmet to drop your hard earned money on.

What else do you need for autocross? A tire gauge, a roadworthy car, snacks and especially drinks if none are available at the site, and a healthy desire to have fun!!! You might want to bring some Ben-Gay or muscle liniment, because your cheeks will hurt from smiling so much and so widely .
Old 02-23-2006, 12:09 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by Palting
It looks exactly like my helmet. I have the Simpson LX SA2000 certified. The SA2000 certified ones are cheaper now, but, if you are going to buy a new helmet, I would suggest getting the newly certified SA2005 ones. By 2010, the SA2000's will be obsolete. Don't really know if there are truly any significant advancements between the SA2000 and the SA2005, but most DE's and Autocross events will outlaw helmets that are certified more than 10 years ago. Some no longer allow SA1995's. DE's and autocross are VERY addicting. You will most certainly want to keep doing them long after your helmet is obsolete or too stinky to wear, so buy one that can serve you a long time.

Don't just shop for helmets by looking at websites or catalogues. You have to try them out. I repeat, you MUST try them out. You have to have the right size, and even then, they all fit differently. For autocross and a novice run at DE, you could borrow one in a pinch until you find the right helmet to drop your hard earned money on.

What else do you need for autocross? A tire gauge, a roadworthy car, snacks and especially drinks if none are available at the site, and a healthy desire to have fun!!! You might want to bring some Ben-Gay or muscle liniment, because your cheeks will hurt from smiling so much and so widely .

Thanks for the info, I'm hoping the weather will be nice march 5th!

what pressure do you run cold for autocross?

25 front/ 28 rear?
Old 02-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a great article on helmet design and testing: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...atz/index.html

(this is all about motorcycle helmets, but the principles are similar)
Old 02-23-2006, 12:52 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use open face SNELL for DE when instructing and for Autocross. The audio equipment works better for communicating to novices. When lapping or DE full face. The most important is SNELL
Old 02-28-2006, 05:44 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Just got my helmet back from the painter for customization! Very pleased with the result.

Ciao,
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Is this helmet any good?