996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed MaxFlows - An impression

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 02:22 AM
kem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fabspeeds certainly sound good, but I think as far as sports car exhausts go they are pretty quiet. My C4S with fabs sounds stock to compared to my neighbors NSX with exhaust, or my old M Coupe.

You think adding fabspeed sport cats will help make it louder? Muffler bypass are definitely too loud, but I wouldnt mind adding a little more growl.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:48 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

headers definately will pump up the volume, but will change the tone considerably.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:33 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deputydog95
headers definately will pump up the volume, but will change the tone considerably.

that is sooo odd because i couldn't tell if there is a tonal and volume difference. when i did the mod i didn't have the supercharger. now throwing a SC on does make a big difference.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:43 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't notice any significant sound difference with headers, pulled better.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

PSE=Purrrrfect!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:27 PM
AlexL.
Instructor

I wish my Fabspeeds were a bit louder as well. I may just end up with the bypass pipes even though everyone seems to think they are disturbingly loud. I drove a car with the bypass pipes and it was a great experience. I am not sure if living with them everyday would change my mind.

Also, I would think that the cabs are louder in the cockpit than the coupes. I have a coupe, does anyone out there have bypass pipes with the coupe and how do you like them?
Old 03-03-2006, 09:49 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

So what's the deal: do they resonate or don't they?

I've read other people's comments saying they could hear the Fabs resonate in the cabin. Blasting around town or on canyon runs with the windows down would be great, but sometimes I want peace on quite with the windows up on the highway, and that is where I worry about a resonating exhaust. I want a mean sounding exhaust and would like to lose some weight off the back-end, so PSE is out. Not that PSE sounds bad or anything, I just want a lighter exhaust.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:39 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

No resonance - at speed on the freeway, they sound stock until you stand on it...
Old 03-04-2006, 01:19 PM
delirium
Racer

so an exhaust makes a difference on the 3.6L cars as well? I thought the 3.6L cars were louder than the 3.4L to begin with?
Old 03-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

They are, but they're still too tame for my taste. Pump up the volume!
Old 03-04-2006, 11:32 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by ElTorrente

I've read other people's comments saying they could hear the Fabs resonate in the cabin. Blasting around town or on canyon runs with the windows down would be great, but sometimes I want peace on quite with the windows up on the highway, and that is where I worry about a resonating exhaust. I want a mean sounding exhaust and would like to lose some weight off the back-end, so PSE is out. Not that PSE sounds bad or anything, I just want a lighter exhaust.
Sounds like you might want to give GHL a call. They are not as loud as Fabspeeds, but there is no resonance.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:45 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

agree, ghl
Old 03-05-2006, 03:59 PM
kem
Instructor

I completely agree. There is no hint of resonance. Its the least resonating exhaust Ive heard on ANY car.

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
No resonance - at speed on the freeway, they sound stock until you stand on it...
Old 03-05-2006, 04:59 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

resonance is soooo subjective. some think there is no resonance otheres, like me, think there is resonance. when you are lugging it in a higher gear there is slight to moderate resonance in the cabin. when the engine is on song, it goes away. going from PSE to fabspeed i DEFINITELY noticed the resonance but i have gotten used to it. i still say PSE is THE sound for a porsche. raspy and mean sounding but too bad it's heavy.

Originally Posted by ElTorrente

Old 04-17-2006, 02:19 AM
delirium
Racer

Is there any exhaust that is between a fab maxflo & fab exhaust bypass in terms of sound? Maxflo might be kinda tame, but the bypass may be too loud... I have never heard either in person tho...

Quick Reply: Fabspeed MaxFlows - An impression