996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Brake fade in rain

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 01:48 PM
jdk1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Chicago and have the same symptoms in cold rain / snow. The same thing occured with my CLK55 in similar weather conditions. You are right though; even if it is "normal" and only for "a split second" it sure does get your heart going when you hit the brakes and nothing happens!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:59 PM
chuckla
Racer

Default I have the wet brakes problem sometimes

on my '03 C4S. Worst was when I drove away from a car wash about a month ago-literally had to stand on the brakes to stop the car. After pumping them for 30 seconds, I was back to normal. Never has happened on my other P cars or on this car. Definitely something to watch in real wet conditions.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jeev
Gotcha..... I don't call on the AF base but I know some docs who went that route, cant beat it especially when she hits private practice!!!

See ya @ the track.

Jeev
See you there! I'll be the one in the Arena Red (looks like burgandy) 996CAB with the hardtop installed.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:05 PM
jeev
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LVDell
See you there! I'll be the one in the Arena Red (looks like burgandy) 996CAB with the hardtop installed.

Sounds good - I will be in my Arctic Silver 996 Aero.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:15 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

It's not fade or rust. It is normal, though. Driving in the rain eventually gets rain in the brake pads. It takes a few seconds of braking to dry them out. I think MB even has some electronic nanny that engages/drags the brakes to dry out any rain. Like I said, this is perfectly normal. If you drive in the rain, you need to periodically do some light braking to keep the pads dry.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:34 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Also remember that if it has just started to rain after not having rained in a long time, then oil from the road that hasn't been washed away yet may have splashed up onto your rotors. It will certainly take a while for them to wear dry. This happened to me occasionally when I lived in Tampa and weeks would go without rain in the summer some years.

But, if you are still nervous, it never hurts to have your local indy check it out and see if you need any new parts or just a brake line bleed. Also, out of habit, periodically ride the brakes now and again during a rainstorm to ensure that they get nice and hot and dry. Remember, brakes are pretty damn important...they help you stop in a pinch. Well, duh.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:35 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine do it too. In the rain and damp especially, if you tap them a little bit in the beginning it helps when you really need them.

Quick Reply: Brake fade in rain